My thoughts on wealth, and respect for wealth

Started by zarus tathra, August 08, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moralnihilist

Quote from: zarus tathra on September 09, 2014, 05:14:17 PM
What? No, I meant a system for factory and restaurant inspections and shit. For finance Bitcoin or some kind of reputation based service would suffice.

Again, if you suggest that a website that is full of business financial information would be immune to hackers, you are beyond retarded. A localized site for all financial information of all major corporations would be under attack from the moment it launched until every last drop of cash was pulled from those companies.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Hakurei Reimu

And Bitcoin has no security whatsoever, as proven by many many attacks on the system. No, obscurity is not the same as security.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

MagetheEntertainer

Quote from: Solitary on August 09, 2014, 10:31:17 AM
I don't have a problem with wealth, but how much money does one need when they already have $10,000,000, and want more because they are so greedy and could care less how others live because they are so out of touch with them, and their own feelings too? Solitary

I gotta go with Moralnihilist, 10 mil really isn't that much for a business owner, and most people that have that type of money are business owners.  I would say if we were going to put a number on when your wealth becomes absurd that number should be around >1 billion

AllPurposeAtheist

Nobody seems to want to separate personal wealth from corporate wealth.  If anyone believes they simply can't get by on 10 million in personal wealth they're fucking insane. Contrary to SCOTUS's opinion corporations are not people, they're legal entities of fiat.. The majority share holders are responsible to all other share holders and the legal entity. Anyone with a ten million dollar company that isn't incorporated is a goddamn fool and everyone should know if someone in the corporation who tries to run off with all the loot they are or should be held criminally liable and we have a trainload of criminals currently running corporations and bribing officials to make robbery perfectly legal.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

zarus tathra

Quote from: MagetheEntertainer on September 19, 2014, 11:27:09 PM
I gotta go with Moralnihilist, 10 mil really isn't that much for a business owner, and most people that have that type of money are business owners.  I would say if we were going to put a number on when your wealth becomes absurd that number should be around >1 billion

1 billion isn't that absurd if you run a ginormous company. And honestly, I don't hate Microsoft that much in spite of being a Linux user because without Microsoft the desktop would either be a totally unviable platform or be overrun by totally closed, monopolistic companies like Apple. At least with Microsoft we have an ecosystem of independent hardware manufacturers.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 21, 2014, 10:04:51 AM
Nobody seems to want to separate personal wealth from corporate wealth.  If anyone believes they simply can't get by on 10 million in personal wealth they're fucking insane. Contrary to SCOTUS's opinion corporations are not people, they're legal entities of fiat.. The majority share holders are responsible to all other share holders and the legal entity. Anyone with a ten million dollar company that isn't incorporated is a goddamn fool and everyone should know if someone in the corporation who tries to run off with all the loot they are or should be held criminally liable and we have a trainload of criminals currently running corporations and bribing officials to make robbery perfectly legal.

The thing that you seem to be missing is that MOST smaller business owners finances are directly tied into the company that they own.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: zarus tathra on September 21, 2014, 01:52:44 PM
1 billion isn't that absurd if you run a ginormous company. And honestly, I don't hate Microsoft that much in spite of being a Linux user because without Microsoft the desktop would either be a totally unviable platform or be overrun by totally closed, monopolistic companies like Apple. At least with Microsoft we have an ecosystem of independent hardware manufacturers.
Apple IS a hardware manufacturer, been so since day 1. It's principally out there to get you to buy their hardware. Apple is under no obligation to support its compeditors' hardware.
(she bites!)

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Moralnihilist on September 21, 2014, 04:48:42 PM
The thing that you seem to be missing is that MOST smaller business owners finances are directly tied into the company that they own.
And generally were not really talking about the corner grocery or bar, but even most are corporations of one sort or the other to limit personal liability. If you're assuming all personal risk and liability running a gym you're dumber than I initially thought.. Mind boggling stupid if you are..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 21, 2014, 05:44:03 PM
And generally were not really talking about the corner grocery or bar, but even most are corporations of one sort or the other to limit personal liability. If you're assuming all personal risk and liability running a gym you're dumber than I initially thought.. Mind boggling stupid if you are..

The company itself is a corporation. However most of my "wealth", aside from my home and cars, is tied up into the business. Thats how small business fund themselves. But I have no idea why I would expect you to know this as you seem to only want to make uneducated claims. Every time I open a new gym its a personal risk. I own the company outright. There are no shareholders in my businesses, only me. If it fails my money is gone. Fortunately I know how to invest my money carefully in my business.

zarus tathra

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on September 21, 2014, 04:53:58 PM
Apple IS a hardware manufacturer, been so since day 1. It's principally out there to get you to buy their hardware. Apple is under no obligation to support its compeditors' hardware.

Which is why I praised Microsoft.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Hakurei Reimu

Don't you remember the anti-trust case Microsoft was hit with around 2000? It was charged with using its monopoly power to force its Windows users to use Microsoft Explorer and by that, dominating the web browser market, and otherwise maintaining its monopoly power over the PC market. Nothing I have seen from the company since has been particularly praiseworthy.

The iOS is just a proprietary operating system made for a particular machine line. Same with the MacOS. There is nothing 'monopolisitc' about that. Apple hardly dominates the smart phone market or the personal computer market, so it is by definition not a monopoly. Proprietary code is everywhere in every program that is not open source; if Apple is a monopoly because it uses proprietary, closed code, then just about every other computer and programming company is, too. Including Microsoft.

Unless you meant by "closed," closed system. Well, for the original Mac, the computer housing also housed the CRT, which as any electrical simpleton could tell you is a very dangerous thing to mess with. The original Apple was an open system, as was every Mac that didn't also house the display (which uniformly contain high-voltage components that your average consumer shouldn't be messing with for safety reasons) â€" every plain box CPU Mac was an open system. Modern Macs tend to be engineered tight, which doesn't leave much room for error so you are highly recommended not to mess with it, as are the laptops, but even then they expose some expansion slots.

As for the iOS, Apple has implemented a "security first" strategy for that system to delay as much as possible the infestation of malware into the iOS ecosystem. The iOS apps you get through the iTunes store is vetted for malware, which doesn't come free so Apple has to take a cut, if your app isn't free.
(she bites!)

zarus tathra

I agree that Microsoft making open source possible was probably not their intention and would certainly have never happened if they could do anything about it.

Hakurei Reimu

Open source was not "made possible" by Microsoft. Open source has been in existence in one form or another since the invention of computers. It was only in 1997 when it was formalized as a software development principle, but people had been sharing software code since long before the invention of the microcomputer. There's a reason why the C compiler exists for just about every operating system; it's code was itself written in C and was cross-compiled to many systems, and that code was shared.
(she bites!)