One hour lights out to commemorate 100 years since WW1

Started by Munch, August 04, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

So right now in merry old England, people were asked to turn off all their lights in the house and light candles, for one hour.

This is to commemorate the 100 years since the blackouts in 1914 and start of ww1.

So I figured why not, candles look nice.

Though looking out my window, every other house in my street has their lights on, so guessing I'm the only that heard the message, or cared to, but eh, people can do as they wish.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

The human race has come far with war in 100 years, or is it 2,000+ years?  :oak: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

I was not aware of blackouts during WWI, so I googled it, and shur nuff:

http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com/8870.html

QuoteWhat appears to be generally not known is that blackout was also introduced during the First World War (1914-1918). Whilst at the start of the War the designs of the biplanes did not lend themselves to bombing raids, the German Zeppelin airships did.

Perhaps, when they commemorate WWII, people will want to participate more.  While WWI was devastating, it was still pretty crude compared to the refinements of warfare in WWII.  But WWIII should be downright spectacular.

josephpalazzo

WW1 is undoutedly one of the most important events in all human history. Not only were the generals at the time unprepared to fight a war with new technology - which led to millions of people being slaughtered needlessly - but its (un)resolution led to WW2, the greatest catastrophe in human history.

Solitary

Only because it didn't succeed in killing all life on earth.  :eek: :boohoo: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ParaGoomba Slayer

Interesting thing to note here is that the Germans didn't adopt the stahlhelm until 1916.
[size=150]Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision.[/size]

[size=150]Your liberty to swing your fist ends just where my nose begins. This is very simple reasoning that is applied to everything, EXCEPT infant circumcision for some stupid fucking reason.[/size]

Shiranu

Quote from: ParaGoomba Slayer on August 07, 2014, 11:52:00 PM

Interesting thing to note here is that the Germans didn't adopt the stahlhelm until 1916.

That is so weird, seeing the two different eras of warfare meshed into one picture like that. The soldier looks like he could just as easily be in Vietnam or something... but the horse and spear look straight out of historical Europe.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on August 08, 2014, 12:07:33 AM
That is so weird, seeing the two different eras of warfare meshed into one picture like that. The soldier looks like he could just as easily be in Vietnam or something... but the horse and spear look straight out of historical Europe.
They don't call that war a technological turning point for nothing.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Nam

I heard about it. My lights have been out for hours, my TV's on, though.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on August 08, 2014, 12:07:33 AM
The horse, I get, but the spear???