News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Digital Church Startups

Started by Davka, February 19, 2013, 10:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davka

So there's this new church in the Nashville area called GodWhy.com

Yeah, that's the actual name of the church. They've got billboards all over the place as well as a website, it seems to be an attempt to be relevant to the yoots of Murica by being part of cyberland.

I think it's a ripoff from a national franchise called LifeChurch.tv, which totally fucks their attempt to be hip and new by including an image of a curved-corner 3x4 aspect ratio CRT-tube TV as part of their logo:

They also do "clever" billboards:

So I'm curious - are you seeing this sort of "we're digital and hip" trend in churches where you live? Or is it just Tennessee that thinks "kids will like us if we look like an app"?

NitzWalsh

Looks like they hired the same web designer.

I sort of wish the churches here would hire web designers. Their websites all look like they put them up in the 90's and forgot to update them.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

stromboli

I grew up in farm country. One thing you learn early is that you can put shit in a gift wrapped box, it is still shit.

commonsense822

Not a bad idea by them, might even work.  I can't help but get inundated with Mormon commercials on Youtube, actually I see a lot of religious advertising online.

I'm just not sure if the online strategy is working for them, or if they are still desperately clinging to life.

Thumpalumpacus

A few years ago, in Ventura, CA, I got a good laugh out of one church which advertised on a huge banner tied to the building.  On a black background, huge yellow letters:

EXTREME WORSHIP.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Savior2006

Quote from: "commonsense822"Not a bad idea by them, might even work.  I can't help but get inundated with Mormon commercials on Youtube, actually I see a lot of religious advertising online.

I'm just not sure if the online strategy is working for them, or if they are still desperately clinging to life.

They are the same way with me. I'm sure at this point that we've all seen the one for the biker dude biker dude. [paraphrase] "I don't see anywhere in the Bible that says I can't love motorcycles. I believe that the best conversations you can have are with someone than a different religion than you" [/paraphrase].

I honestly think it's a con game. Nothing more than nothing less. Mormon's like the biker dude are the exception, not the rule. Based on the accounts of Stromboli, Postmormongirl, and BlackL1ght, Mormons in general are assholes, same as any other conservative Christians, and react to dissent within their ranks with an iron fist.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

commonsense822

Quote from: "Savior2006"
Quote from: "commonsense822"Not a bad idea by them, might even work.  I can't help but get inundated with Mormon commercials on Youtube, actually I see a lot of religious advertising online.

They are the same way with me. I'm sure at this point that we've all seen the one for the biker dude biker dude. [paraphrase] "I don't see anywhere in the Bible that says I can't love motorcycles. I believe that the best conversations you can have are with someone than a different religion than you" [/paraphrase].

I honestly think it's a con game. Nothing more than nothing less. Mormon's like the biker dude are the exception, not the rule. Based on the accounts of Stromboli, Postmormongirl, and BlackL1ght, Mormons in general are assholes, same as any other conservative Christians, and react to dissent within their ranks with an iron fist.

Definitely agreed.

Youssuf Ramadan

Good grief, the journey to church on a Sunday morning is the only exercise some fat Americans get.  Now they can fap to Jesus from the comfort of their beds without even having to remove their corpulent infidel backsides from the mattress.  I suppose one benefit of this is that at least they can avoid putting money into the collection plate this way.  No wait... surely there's a sign-up fee or a monthly direct debit or something.  Christianity is a business after all.

WitchSabrina

I did try a couple years back try to find out how much $ After the Rapture Pet Care made - pretending to be a journalist.  Then I confessed that I only hated them because I didn't think of it first.  They didn't answer if it was a money maker or not.  Even tried the "Hey I'm the heathen you're gonna leave those animals with yanno.."  but no dice.  They DID say that Yes.......literally thousands of people take that shit seriously. :Hangman:

...  yeah ....

always follow the money if you can.  That's the ticket.

(in case you've not yet seen this:  //http://www.aftertherapturepetcare.com/)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Navynukeman

Not a bad way to rake in some hard earned tithes...  :twisted:

Plu

Sometimes I feel like the only thing keeping me from being rich is my morals :/

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "Plu"Sometimes I feel like the only thing keeping me from being rich is my morals :/
I have the same feeling about myself... :(

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "DunkleSeele"
Quote from: "Plu"Sometimes I feel like the only thing keeping me from being rich is my morals :/

Ditto.  Definitely.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Mathias

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

Ditto.  Definitely.

Seriously, I'm glad to read that!
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

Davka

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

Ditto.  Definitely.

Here's to all the people who aren't big enough assholes to become millionaires!