Christian pastor has cure for EBOLA

Started by josephpalazzo, August 08, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

QuoteFollowing the death in Lagos of a Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, who flew in from his country to Nigeria last week, Ighodalo said he had a “message of hope and faith” that would uncover the solution to the highly infectious disease.

He said that God’s “anointing” and the “living words of Jesus,” were all that are needed to cure the deadly disease,” adding that mere laying of hands on those afflicted with the incurable Ebola virus was all that was required to liberate them.

http://www.punchng.com/news/outrage-as-lagos-pastor-boasts-of-ebola-cure/

The Skeletal Atheist

Seems like a problem that solves itself.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

RichTC

Okay - Good. Somebody please put this guy in with a bunch of infected people and let him do his stuff. If he cures them, well, there you go. Maybe his sweat has some kind of antiviral agent in it. This would be a good way to test that biblical phrase about the believers being protected from poisons and the like.
RichTC
"We read the pagan sacred books with profit and delight. With myth and fable we are ever charmed, and find a pleasure in the endless repetition of the beautiful, poetic, and absurd." - RG Ingersoll

Munch

So let me get this right. A disease, that can be contained and cured easily enough with the right attention and action before spreading, and yet another religious crack smoker wants to claim everyone cured of it is because of the work of god.

Well its another week. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

kilodelta

But, it only works for Ebola right? What about Marburg?
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Munch

Quote from: kilodelta on August 08, 2014, 12:22:31 PM
But, it only works for Ebola right? What about Marburg?

Well not until the virus gets near to good white christian households, then god will intervene.

Shiranu

On a serious note, I think I would kill myself before risking being exposed to Ebola. I will give the preachers and shit that are going down there to preach (rather than heal) this... they apparently have SOME conviction in their faith, because fuck that. Doesn't make them right obviously, just shows how stupid their belief can make them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 08, 2014, 01:44:50 PM
On a serious note, I think I would kill myself before risking being exposed to Ebola. I will give the preachers and shit that are going down there to preach (rather than heal) this... they apparently have SOME conviction in their faith, because fuck that. Doesn't make them right obviously, just shows how stupid their belief can make them.

Nah, the best thing to be is infected, cured, and THEN claim to the world is was a belief in my little ponies friendship is magic and its pony magic that cured you.
That way, they can't try and pin the god delusion on you, because you tell them you believe in something just as silly.

Solitary

And yet some idiot here said that secularism and atheism are the cause of the world going to hell---so-to-speak.
Medical science is not religion, it is secular, and religion is not science, it is wishful thinking.  :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Whenever science has not discovered an answer, religion jumps in and provides one.  That is one of the great powers of religion.  It provides answers where there are no answers.  What else can do that with such unabashed authority?

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on August 08, 2014, 04:02:05 PM
Whenever science has not discovered an answer, religion jumps in and provides one.  That is one of the great powers of religion.  It provides answers where there are no answers.  What else can do that with such unabashed authority?

Indeed. I've watched a lot of Richard Dawkins seminars and Q&As, and one overiding theme you gather from theists who try their hardest to one up the good professor with, is asking him "Well where did the universe start from then?" followed with "Well you don't have an answer then, so the answer must be god!"

There is greater wisdom in this world where you can say "i do not know" then in those who claim to have all the answers.

LoriPinkAngel

They had better hope the virus worships the same god as they do.  :doh:

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on August 08, 2014, 04:36:09 PM
Indeed. I've watched a lot of Richard Dawkins seminars and Q&As, and one overiding theme you gather from theists who try their hardest to one up the good professor with, is asking him "Well where did the universe start from then?" followed with "Well you don't have an answer then, so the answer must be god!"

There is greater wisdom in this world where you can say "i do not know" then in those who claim to have all the answers.

The argument from ignorance is a common human failure of logic, but rather than be embarrassed by this, religion seems to take great pride in its ability to argue on that basis.  It claims it to be a strength.  A few years back, I frequently heard religious philosophers announcing with pride, "While science is good at answering the 'How' questions, religion answers the 'Why' questions."  I've pondered this at length.  What is a 'How' question?  I suppose it's a question that addresses mechanical explanations, i.e. "How does the body produce insulin?"  And that a 'Why' question addresses matters of spiritual purpose, i.e. "Why did God create insulin to help organisms regulate blood chemistry?"

Aside from the fact that the statement is technically meaningless, the implication is that science cannot explain everything, and that which it cannot explain, religion can.  In the end, it seems to say that science is limited by facts, whereas religion is not dependent on facts; Science deals with facts, while religion deals with everything else, including bullshit.

Perhaps someone pointed this out to the religious authorities that the statement  seems chillingly like an attempt to glorify arguments from ignorance.  That might explain why the statement is not as popular as it once was.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on August 09, 2014, 05:27:28 AM
The argument from ignorance is a common human failure of logic, but rather than be embarrassed by this, religion seems to take great pride in its ability to argue on that basis.  It claims it to be a strength.  A few years back, I frequently heard religious philosophers announcing with pride, "While science is good at answering the 'How' questions, religion answers the 'Why' questions."  I've pondered this at length.  What is a 'How' question?  I suppose it's a question that addresses mechanical explanations, i.e. "How does the body produce insulin?"  And that a 'Why' question addresses matters of spiritual purpose, i.e. "Why did God create insulin to help organisms regulate blood chemistry?"

Aside from the fact that the statement is technically meaningless, the implication is that science cannot explain everything, and that which it cannot explain, religion can.  In the end, it seems to say that science is limited by facts, whereas religion is not dependent on facts; Science deals with facts, while religion deals with everything else, including bullshit.

And as for the Ebola virus, there is a cure for it, mankind has found a medical cure for it, but those who follow faith as the only answer for it do not even appreciate what these scientist and analytical thinkers have found.
Perhaps someone pointed this out to the religious authorities that the statement  seems chillingly like an attempt to glorify arguments from ignorance.  That might explain why the statement is not as popular as it once was.

There is never one singular overarching answer to things, everything has its limits, and we as primates trying to find answers to questions is a pretty amazing thing to look how much we can discover. It is because of those of us who asked the questions, wanting to know those answers, to how mankind discovered medicine, vaccines, technology, flight, understanding of biology and chemistry.
But science is not a perfect art and it doesn't not yield results in a single answer, such as finding the cure for HIV or a simple cure for cancer, but just thinking about things like the common cold would kill people 100 years ago, to now just taking a pill to dull the colds effects until it disappears, such things only occurred then religion was absent from the discovery.

This is why to those of scientific and analytical minds do not just stand on one universal answer, like religion idiots do. A religion man would believe that god will cure him of his disease and save him, but it is the doctor or scientist who casts god off that saves the mans life with his intelligence.

The god complex the end of the road, it is a void that has no further pursuit for answers. It is only because of those brilliant men in the world who sort answers for questions that god could not answer, that we have what we have today. Even talking here now, on this forum, is because of people who put there heart and mind into building the technology to make it happen. This goes for theists to, the things they use to spread their pathetic gospel, it comes from people who do not follow god, and yet they use it anyway.

ApostateLois

Not ONE person has ever been cured of anything by praying. NOT ONE. Yet this pastor thinks ebola is going to be cured by muttering some magical incantation over the sick person's head? Fine, he should be sent to a hospital to test that idea.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"