News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hey there ! I'm new here.

Started by LazyLotusEater, August 07, 2014, 03:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LazyLotusEater

I grew up as a Christian and I have recently been questioning my own beliefs.  I live in the Bible belt and I am hoping to find others on here who can  relate to what I am going through.

Cheers
Lotus

Hydra009

Lots of people have that background, but everyone is different.  It would help to know what exactly you are going through right now.

Mr.Obvious

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Welcome to the rest of us heathens.  :cheesy:
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Welcome

What are you going through?  Pain?  Alienation?  Confusion?  Wonderful freedom?

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Desdinova

Welcome, I hope you find the answers you seek.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Brian37

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

Welcome aboard LazyLotusEater! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: LazyLotusEater on August 07, 2014, 03:31:38 AM
I grew up as a Christian and I have recently been questioning my own beliefs.  I live in the Bible belt and I am hoping to find others on here who can  relate to what I am going through.
Could you elaborate?

And welcome to the forum!
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Nam

Cheers
Lotus

I currently live in the bible belt. Suwannee County, Florida.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Brian37

Cheers
Lotus

Absolutely, unless you live in the UK it is most likely most atheists you talk to were raised liberal or fundy at some point but managed to escape it.

I also live in the bible belt and the only contact I get with atheists is on the web since I live in the sticks.

I believed at one point but was never fundy but did really want to believe, I also never bought into racism or bigotry either.

Welcome.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

LazyLotusEater

Sorry about that, to further elaborate I will tell you about myself so you guys can further understand. I think I have been questioning my own faith for the past month now.  This may be a little long.
I live in a place where there is church on every corner , "Have a blessed day" is a greet and random people invite you to their church 10 minutes after meeting you.  Admittedly, I didn't go to church as a "good christian" should have but, I was definitely the type they prayed everyday and wanted to better myself an be "Christ-like". 
Anyway my best friend of 15 years was raised very sheltered in a fundamentalist christian family, she told me she was scared I was going to hell just because I said I wasn't opposed to same-sex marriage since I think government and religion should be separate. Then she kept saying all these homophobic things and telling me that I should hate and judge others because God does. I had never in my life had a conversation with her like this before and it made me rethink my own religion. Then weeks later she was questioning if I really believed in the bible and she said I needed to get saved. I then said that I had been questing that for weeks now. Her response was that college classes can cause turn away from God and that I should come to her church. Her dad has this very cult-like church service held in their living room which is why I tried to avoid it but, I eventually agreed.
The house church started off normal and I thought "This isn't so bad" but, it was 4 hours long and her father went on some weird racist rant on how [insert race here] had sodomite demons in them and he said as a child that all the men of that race looked gay to him . Then he passed around this paper about this prophecy that he had of the Apocalypse starting in 2 years.  Although my brother and parents are Christians they warned me not to go there. Going to her dad's church didn't make it any better to me.

Anyway, I feel like I have been going through depression. I had been reading parts the bible more and comparing it to other stories written before it and the similarities. I've been reading scientific and historical findings and comparing them. At 20 years old I am seeking what the truth is and what makes more sense. I hope it all made sense to everyone lol.

Nam

Did your friend actually say, "[Bible]god hates and judges so you should, too" ?[paraphrased]

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

LazyLotusEater

Quote from: Nam on August 08, 2014, 05:07:39 AM
Did your friend actually say, "[Bible]god hates and judges so you should, too" ?[paraphrased]

-Nam
Yes, her argument was that she was allowed to hate and judge people because God does too.  I tried to paraphrase as much as I could but, at the time I said I believe that God loves everyone and she said I was wrong because God hated Esau. Then she says that it's okay to judge as long as you didn't commit that sin yourself.