So Atheist, You think You Know The Bible And Are So Smart

Started by Solitary, August 04, 2014, 06:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinalSomnia

I don't Noah the answer to your questions, but I'm pretty sure he brought along 2 red herrings.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

Munch

April, may, june and bob. bob got a sex change and god gave bob a vagina and womb
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Brian37

Quote from: Solitary on August 04, 2014, 06:42:40 PM
Here's a simple question to put your Biblical knowledge to the test. But don't worry, you don't have to go to church or temple every day of the week to get it right: How many of each kind of animal did Moses bring on his ark?

Mary's mother has four children: April, May, June and …?

Who gives a fuck? Magic babies with super powers is still a stupid claim and human flesh does not survive rigor mortis.

You can go to the movies and see Superman fly around New York city, but because the city is real doesn't make magic real.

Sorry to spoil your fun, just had to put that out there.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Brian37 on August 09, 2014, 09:48:15 AM
Who gives a fuck? Magic babies with super powers is still a stupid claim and human flesh does not survive rigor mortis.

You can go to the movies and see Superman fly around New York city, but because the city is real doesn't make magic real.

Sorry to spoil your fun, just had to put that out there.
You didn't figure out the fourth kid was Mary I take it?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

EntirelyOfThisWorld

Quote from: Solitary on August 04, 2014, 06:42:40 PM
How many of each kind of animal did Moses bring on his ark?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how he got two Kangaroo's.  Did they fly, or swim?
Freedom is Free.  It\'s included in Democracy.  Democracy is Hard.  It involves coexisting with people who think that sayings like "Freedom is not Free" actually makes some kind of sense.

Hydra009

Quote from: EntirelyOfThisWorld on August 10, 2014, 12:41:58 AMI'm still trying to wrap my head around how he got two Kangaroo's.  Did they fly, or swim?
Maybe he made a pitstop in Australia?

Christian sites generally go with 1) the Earth's geography was very different in those days (maybe Australia was landlocked or something?) 2) God made the animals come to Noah somehow.  Magic.

Munch

Christians trying to use the science of geology to prove a fairy tale is true.. tee hee.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on August 10, 2014, 05:11:23 AM
Christians trying to use the science of geology to prove a fairy tale is true.. tee hee.
I'm sure they could explain how Missouri got a thousand feet of solidified plankton excrement, aka limestone, during the flood, right?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

I asked my Sunday school teacher how one breeding pair didn't result in fatal genetic bottlenecks.

She told me I should not take it so literally.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on August 10, 2014, 12:23:37 PM
I asked my Sunday school teacher how one breeding pair didn't result in fatal genetic bottlenecks.

Did you use the opportunity to suggest that she should likewise not take the crucifixion literally?

Mermaid

Haha, if only I were sharp enough to think of that. I was just a kid and still not an atheist. I was just a thinker.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 10, 2014, 12:34:48 PM
Did you use the opportunity to suggest that she should likewise not take the crucifixion literally?
"We don't take the Bible literally unless we need to take it literally in order to support our delusions."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on August 10, 2014, 12:23:37 PM

Well there's some delightful religious inconsistencies.

"Wouldn't adam and eve being the only humans mean adam would need to have sex with his daughters or eve with her sons?"
"Don't think about it"
"wouldn't noah have to be incestuous with his children, or his children with each other?"
"Don't think about it"

But then this is a faith that thinks its okay to give your daughters away as to be gang raped to protect your sons from being raped by mobs.

Mermaid

You know, I never had the balls to ask about Adam and Eve and genetic diversity. Knowing what I know now, though, I think the explanation would involve some sort of divine act that provided the needed diversity for our species to survive.

I was too sciency when I was a kid, and was told that I talked too much.

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on August 10, 2014, 06:20:33 PM
You know, I never had the balls to ask about Adam and Eve and genetic diversity. Knowing what I know now, though, I think the explanation would involve some sort of divine act that provided the needed diversity for our species to survive.

I was too sciency when I was a kid, and was told that I talked too much.

did you ask a lot of questions, cause that is the pursuit of an analytical mind.