News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evil crimes?

Started by bfiddy100, August 03, 2014, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

Any crime that involves deliberately harming others without necessity. Stealing food from the supermarket to live is not evil. Breaking into a house and ransacking the place is evil.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on August 04, 2014, 01:11:41 PM
Any crime that involves deliberately harming others without necessity. Stealing food from the supermarket to live is not evil. Breaking into a house and ransacking the place is evil.
When I was in high school a "transient" came into the grocery store where I worked. He took a cart, walked around the store and picked out bread, coldcuts, mustard and a pint of milk. He pushed the cart into the back of the store and made himself a sandwich and had the milk with it. I found him just as he was finishing. "Are you going to call the cops?" "Nah, I'd do the same if I was hungry." "Please, call them it, it's going to be cold tonight and I want a warm place to sleep." I obliged him since he asked so nice. I hope he made it down to Florida eventually.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: SGOS on August 04, 2014, 12:01:11 PM
Hmmm.  I wondered why I didn't get any laughs when I said that at the open mike last Tuesday night.  But the rule of three is a good one in serious public speaking.  I didn't know it was a rule, and I thought I had invented it, myself.  When supporting my arguments, I was always ready with three reasons, but no more.  People don't tend to remember more than three reasons in a speech, and if you leave it at three it can often imply there are more left unmentioned. 
I was just commenting on how you ranked murder and tax evasion as both being "evil." :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

bfiddy100

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 04, 2014, 11:43:09 AM
"Investigators believe that Byrd, 49, accepted a ride from the suspects as he walked home from a niece's bridal shower. But police believe that instead of taking him home, the men drove Byrd to a wooded area, beat him, chained him behind Berry's truck and sped down a bumpy road just east of town. Byrd's severed head, neck and right arm were discovered about a mile from where his shredded torso was dumped. A trail of blood, body parts and personal effects stretched for two miles, police said. According to one court affidavit, Berry told authorities that Brewer sprayed Byrd's face with black paint before he was killed. ..."  http://www.cnn.com/US/9807/06/dragging.death.02/index.html

"A 5-year-old boy, known only as Johnny, was rescued from a dark closet in San Bernardino County in 2009. Much of his body had been burned by a glue gun and hot spoons. He had been starved and sodomized, taunted and punched, forced to eat soap and crouch motionless in corners. ..."   http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/child-torture-trial-ends-with-three-guilty-verdicts-.html

"Authorities have charged a woman with killing mom-to-be Bobbi Jo Stinnett and cutting the fetus from her womb. Lisa M. Montgomery, 36, of Melvern, Kan., was charged with kidnapping resulting in death. She is accused of showing up at Stinnett's house under the pretext of buying a dog, then strangling her and taking the woman's premature baby girl. ... " http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/12/19/woman-charged-in-stolen-fetus-case/

Where are you going with this?

OK. Now I'd like you to imagine that you're a judge and that a criminal is before you who has done the first two of the three acts you listed. What would you do with him? You said that you would declare that these actions are evil. So what would you do with this criminal to show that you find his crimes evil (and not irrelevant or good)?

the_antithesis

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 04, 2014, 05:22:18 PM
OK. Now I'd like you to imagine that you're a judge and that a criminal is before you who has done the first two of the three acts you listed. What would you do with him? You said that you would declare that these actions are evil. So what would you do with this criminal to show that you find his crimes evil (and not irrelevant or good)?

As a judge, after a criminal has been found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, you apply the punishment outlined in the law, you halfwit.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: the_antithesis on August 04, 2014, 05:28:46 PM
As a judge, after a criminal has been found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, you apply the punishment outlined in the law

Agreed

(I'm so looking forward to how this trick plays out)

Hydra009

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 04, 2014, 05:22:18 PM
Well, we have these special buildings where people go in and can't leave for a while...

bfiddy100

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 04, 2014, 09:20:50 PM
Agreed

(I'm so looking forward to how this trick plays out)
What if the criminal doesn't think that the punishment is fair? Keeping in mind the 3 evil things that you previously listed and that the criminal had done the first 2 but not the last, what if the criminal says to you, 'look, I'm a good person. It's not like I've done anything serious like strangle a pregnant woman and cut out her fetus.' Would that change what you would do with him? In other words, if the criminal doesn't agree with you that what he did was evil (he agrees it was wrong, just not a serious offense) would you not punish him or consider rewarding him?

Jmpty

???  ??

Hydra009

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 04, 2014, 10:29:28 PMWhat if the criminal doesn't think that the punishment is fair?
"Too bad."

GSOgymrat

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 04, 2014, 10:29:28 PM
What if the criminal doesn't think that the punishment is fair? Keeping in mind the 3 evil things that you previously listed and that the criminal had done the first 2 but not the last, what if the criminal says to you, 'look, I'm a good person. It's not like I've done anything serious like strangle a pregnant woman and cut out her fetus.' Would that change what you would do with him? In other words, if the criminal doesn't agree with you that what he did was evil (he agrees it was wrong, just not a serious offense) would you not punish him or consider rewarding him?

Well I certainly can't imagine rewarding someone for burning a child with hot glue and spoons (children don't lend themselves to decoupage) so I will say, while restraining oneself from fetus theft is admirable, the child torture really can't go without consequence. Because I'm American and from the South, let's say the sentence is to be chained to the back of a truck and driven across a two mile dirt road.

bfiddy100

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 05, 2014, 08:24:45 AM
Well I certainly can't imagine rewarding someone for burning a child with hot glue and spoons (children don't lend themselves to decoupage) so I will say, while restraining oneself from fetus theft is admirable, the child torture really can't go without consequence. Because I'm American and from the South, let's say the sentence is to be chained to the back of a truck and driven across a two mile dirt road.
Right, because if you, the judge, reward evil behavior you are declaring that it is good and that you approve of it. And to not punish the criminal is to say that you are indifferent about such things and don't care if children are burned with hot glue or not. And therefore, you will punish the criminal because you know his acts were evil and it doesn't matter if he disagrees with you. It is right for you to punish him even if he thinks he's a good person who should be rewarded for the way he's lived his life and thinks you're cruel and evil for punishing him. As Hydra said 'too bad' would be an appropriate response to the criminal. If you agree with all that then we can move on to the next part.

GSOgymrat

There is a next part? Sorry but I have never had much patience with "pick a card, any card" games. I'm out.

Hydra009

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 05, 2014, 10:44:23 AMIf you agree with all that then we can move on to the next part.
Wild guess here.  God operates the same way.  Haven't seen that before.

bfiddy100

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 05, 2014, 11:00:37 AM
There is a next part? Sorry but I have never had much patience with "pick a card, any card" games. I'm out.
I appreciate the input you've provided and I hope you will reconsider being 'out' and give the following some thought. I'd like you to now switch roles. You are now the criminal and the judge is someone who has a different moral standard than you, just like you did with regards to the criminal. According to the Bible, Jesus Christ will be your judge after you die. And 3 of the things that He knows are evil are 1)slander 2)deceit and 3)murder (see Mark 7:20-23). If you're like me, you've done the first 2. What do you think He should do with you?