News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evil crimes?

Started by bfiddy100, August 03, 2014, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfiddy100

Are there any crimes that you would consider evil?

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

bfiddy100

Would you mind elaborating?  Can you list a few crimes that you would consider evil?

aitm

all of them of course. Evil is subjective.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 03, 2014, 08:46:33 PM
What are the circumstances?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GSOgymrat

If by evil you mean particularly reprehensible, yes.

If by evil you mean associated with malevolent supernatural forces, no.

Crimes I would describe as evil involve intentional cruelty or sadism, particularly when involving vulnerable populations such as children, the elderly or the disabled.

SGOS

murder
rape
kidnapping
burglary
drunk driving
texting/driving
driving uninsured
tax evasion
assault
defrauding creditors

bfiddy100

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 04, 2014, 02:10:43 AM
If by evil you mean particularly reprehensible, yes.

If by evil you mean associated with malevolent supernatural forces, no.

Crimes I would describe as evil involve intentional cruelty or sadism, particularly when involving vulnerable populations such as children, the elderly or the disabled.

Let's stick with a definition of 'morally represhensible' for evil (as Webster's says). And no, I'm not referring to anything supernatural. Can you list 3 crimes that people commit (or might commit) that you would declare are evil?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: SGOS on August 04, 2014, 06:08:17 AM
murder
rape
kidnapping
burglary
drunk driving
texting/driving
driving uninsured
tax evasion
assault
defrauding creditors
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 04, 2014, 10:53:43 AMLet's stick with a definition of 'morally represhensible' for evil (as Webster's says). And no, I'm not referring to anything supernatural. Can you list 3 crimes that people commit (or might commit) that you would declare are evil?
Arson.  Murder.  Wearing crocs.

the_antithesis

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 03, 2014, 08:46:33 PM

What the hell kind of stupid question is that?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: bfiddy100 on August 04, 2014, 10:53:43 AM
Let's stick with a definition of 'morally represhensible' for evil (as Webster's says). And no, I'm not referring to anything supernatural. Can you list 3 crimes that people commit (or might commit) that you would declare are evil?

"Investigators believe that Byrd, 49, accepted a ride from the suspects as he walked home from a niece's bridal shower. But police believe that instead of taking him home, the men drove Byrd to a wooded area, beat him, chained him behind Berry's truck and sped down a bumpy road just east of town. Byrd's severed head, neck and right arm were discovered about a mile from where his shredded torso was dumped. A trail of blood, body parts and personal effects stretched for two miles, police said. According to one court affidavit, Berry told authorities that Brewer sprayed Byrd's face with black paint before he was killed. ..."  http://www.cnn.com/US/9807/06/dragging.death.02/index.html

"A 5-year-old boy, known only as Johnny, was rescued from a dark closet in San Bernardino County in 2009. Much of his body had been burned by a glue gun and hot spoons. He had been starved and sodomized, taunted and punched, forced to eat soap and crouch motionless in corners. ..."   http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/child-torture-trial-ends-with-three-guilty-verdicts-.html

"Authorities have charged a woman with killing mom-to-be Bobbi Jo Stinnett and cutting the fetus from her womb. Lisa M. Montgomery, 36, of Melvern, Kan., was charged with kidnapping resulting in death. She is accused of showing up at Stinnett's house under the pretext of buying a dog, then strangling her and taking the woman's premature baby girl. ... " http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/12/19/woman-charged-in-stolen-fetus-case/

Where are you going with this?

SGOS

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 04, 2014, 10:56:01 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking
Hmmm.  I wondered why I didn't get any laughs when I said that at the open mike last Tuesday night.  But the rule of three is a good one in serious public speaking.  I didn't know it was a rule, and I thought I had invented it, myself.  When supporting my arguments, I was always ready with three reasons, but no more.  People don't tend to remember more than three reasons in a speech, and if you leave it at three it can often imply there are more left unmentioned.