News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Twitter debates

Started by Shol'va, July 31, 2014, 10:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shol'va

I plan on continuing to contribute here anything I think interesting :)

I started engaging in short debates on Twitter recently, and I find the challenge of expressing ideas within 140 character absolutely delicious. Sometimes I do cheat and post a longer response in notepad and post the screenshot.

Anyway, recently debated a self-claimed preacher and the exchange was interesting. I asked her why she was so concerned about godlesness in others, she said because Jesus died for our sins so we can have a better future, and not accepting Christ means I am already dead and I don't know it. So I said okay, I see that you're genuinely concerned about the fate of my soul and I appreciate that. According to the Bible, there is no sadness in heaven. So how can you be perfectly happy in heaven when you know your fellow human being is suffering in hell. It seems to me that you're showing more compassion in this mortal life than you ever will in the afterlife. The response was well, I hope that is one of the tears that god will wipe away. So I say I'm sorry, but that sounds an awful lot like a frontal lobotomy. Is that what you want, to have a part of who you are taken away from you?
Is that what you really want? To have your compassion removed, to stop suffering and caring about the grim fate of others?
Then I got the same repeat response of "Jesus died for your sins" and I intend to respond with sorry, but that's completely unpersuasive and underwhelming, in the grand scheme of eternal being Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins and if I have the chose to die on the cross or pancreatic cancer, I will bring my own nails!

What I found both interesting and telling, and the reason I share this typical exchange was the whole "I hope god makes me stop caring" part. This is why I do what I do, I hope I can pull an inception on these type of folks and plant the seed of doubt. If someone told me that it would seriously stop me in my tracks.

SGOS

Never underestimate the strength of the religious opposition.  They live in an impenetrable bubble of fantasy and self deception.  But who knows?  You may run into one that has been peeking out through a rip in his bubble shield at the real world and is thinking about testing the waters of reality.

aitm

"Lord, I thank thee's wonderful knowledge that knowingly made me not want to engage in twitter- ramen"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shol'va

Aye, Twitter is for twats

doorknob

I don't use twitter and rarely use facebook. Not even sure why I have a facebook.

I like the idea of instagram though since I love taking pictures and them commenting on it. But alas I don't have a smart phone so I can't partake

Green Bottle

Quote from: Shol'va on August 04, 2014, 06:07:50 PM
Aye, Twitter is for twats
I agree, all this ''following people rubbish, bit pervy, stalker ish..
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

ApostateLois

How do you debate anyone on Twitter? You can only use 140 characters per post.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Hydra009

Quote from: ApostateLois on August 15, 2014, 03:33:02 PM
How do you debate anyone on Twitter? You can only use 140 characters per post.
U use shrt sntnces.  #debate #twitter #duh #Ihatemondays