News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kidnapped for Christ

Started by Munch, July 31, 2014, 06:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I didn't become aware of this one until Jaclyn Glenn on her youtube channel talked about it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IfwaY-F4SM

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/11/kidnapped-for-christ-review-come-because-you-re-gay-stay-for-jesus.html

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kidnapped-for-christ--7

QuoteOur Story
Kidnapped for Christ follows the stories of several American teenagers who were sent to Escuela Caribe, an American-run Evangelical Christian reform school in The Dominican Republic. Students are sent to Esceula Caribe by their parents, for offenses ranging from drug use to running away to suicide attempts, or for simply not getting along with their parents. The film centers on David, a straight-A student who was sent to Escuela Caribe after coming out to his parents as gay. David was taken in the night without warning by a "transport service" and was never told where he was going or when he would return home. Once David's community found out what had happened to him, they formed a plan to bring him home on his 18th birthday. The struggles they faced to get David released revealed just how far Escuela Caribe would go to prevent a student from leaving.

Often it never surprises me anymore the levels of sickening depravity people commit in 'the name of the lawd', but sometimes I read an article that hits below the belt for me.

The best part:

QuoteThe summer before David’s senior year of high school, two strangers showed up at his Colorado home, and as his parents declared their love for him, the two men wrapped a belt around the 17-year-old’s waist and shoved him into the backseat of a car. They drove David to an airport, dragged him through security, down the terminal, and boarded a flight to Miami.

Once there, the honors student learned where he was being taken, that his parents had signed him up for an undetermined length of stay at Escuela Caribe, a Dominican Republic-based Christian behavioral modification school for “troubled” teenagers started in 1971 by Gordon Blossom, a former “juvenile delinquent” who became a pastor. The reason David’s parents sent their son to the Caribbean for pricey offshore come-to-Jesus treatment was that he’d recently told them that he was gay.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shol'va

I would go full-on "Satan's spawn" in my behavior if my parents ever did that to me. I'd then have a good case to sue the living fuck out of them for what they'd probably do to me at that "behavioral modification" camp.

Hakurei Reimu

It's fucking disgusting what that kid went through. It boggles the mind that any person could think this shit is okay.

Religion demeans human life and dignity.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Nam

Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Thackerie

I'd like to know how David's parents (or the parents of any of the kids there) reacted when they heard what it was really like and how their relationship is going now.

Desdinova

I would have screamed "bomb!" at the airport security checkpoint and never boarded that plane to the DR.  But then, I would probablt be shipped off to Gitmo or smoe other "dark site" for interrogation.  Don't know which would be worse.  Poor kid.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Nam

Quote from: Thackerie on August 01, 2014, 02:25:50 PM
I'd like to know how David's parents (or the parents of any of the kids there) reacted when they heard what it was really like and how their relationship is going now.

Like the bulk of them didn't. He came out to his parents, his loving parents sent him to be reeducated.

They knew.

-Nam

Munch

I hope David gets a divorce from his parents and a fifty mile limit to how close o we they can be to him, though I doubt it'll happen.

Shiranu

Quote from: Nam on August 01, 2014, 03:52:23 PM
Like the bulk of them didn't. He came out to his parents, his loving parents sent him to be reeducated.

They knew.

-Nam

This. This place, I am guessing, has a reputation for being the... extreme option... where you send the people who REALLY need to have Jesus knocked back into their life. You may not know the specifics, but you don't send your kids to these places without having an idea that they will do what ever it takes to knock the fear of the lord into them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nam

Quote from: Shiranu on August 01, 2014, 06:58:36 PM
This. This place, I am guessing, has a reputation for being the... extreme option... where you send the people who REALLY need to have Jesus knocked back into their life. You may not know the specifics, but you don't send your kids to these places without having an idea that they will do what ever it takes to knock the fear of the lord into them.

The funny thing is: most of them going in already do as evident from the kidnapped teenagers that were there.

In the end the "school" closed, and then they reopened it with a new name.

-Nam

Hakurei Reimu

Really, the fact that it's based in the Dominican Republic (ie, a 3rd world shithole) should be the only clue you need to realize that what the school does/did is not on the level. If it were, it would be based in the U.S.
(she bites!)

Munch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 02, 2014, 03:20:30 PM
Really, the fact that it's based in the Dominican Republic (ie, a 3rd world shithole) should be the only clue you need to realize that what the school does/did is not on the level. If it were, it would be based in the U.S.

I just want some justice here, his parents sold there son to the dominican republic.. thats not just immoral, like spending your sons collage fund on something for yourself or stopping him from being with someone he wants to date, this is taking his freedom from him, destroying everything he worked for, ruining him, all because they believed 'god could save him from the sin of his sexuality', and THEN remember these were his parents.

People like this, they need to suffer, they need to have what matters to them taken away from them, and left hollow because of it.

Hakurei Reimu

^ And I'm absolutely not disagreeing with you. I was pointing out that the parents had no excuse for not knowing the kind of shit they would be putting their son through.
(she bites!)

Solitary

The worst crimes have always been done by ideological people trying to do what they think is good.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Quote from: Solitary on August 02, 2014, 03:55:39 PM
The worst crimes have always been done by ideological people trying to do what they think is good.  Solitary

It becomes scary when people follow this, but are people who have zero empathy for others welfare, or just those who are so rigid in how they view the world, they can't think outside their own frame of mind, so nobody else should either.

these people should be prevented from having children.