News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Banning the burqa

Started by St Giordano Bruno, October 03, 2014, 11:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Giordano Bruno

What are your views on banning the burqa? It has become a hot topic issue here in Australia. I find it amusing that the most vocal opponents to the burqa do not come from the atheist or secular camp but much more from the Christian right.  Our Prime Minister Tony Abbott for instance has been frequently labelled in the past as the "mad monk" for his strong affiliation to the Catholic Church because he did have ambitions of become a priest with his early training in the priesthood.  He said he finds to burqa to be confronting.   

Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Mister Agenda

You don't enhance freedom with bans. The burqa should be subject to the same laws that govern wearing of masks. Presumably, a cop can demand to see your face and a bank (or any other business) can refuse to let you in unless you reveal your face. Having laws that apply only to Muslims is a scary precedent to set.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Solitary

Why do Muslim women have to wear burqas? Are we suppose to OK any religions preferences in a secular society that show woman as second class citizens? This is just another religious demand by religion that woman are the downfall of man based on Scripture.  It has absolutely nothing to do with freedom, accept freedom to be a bigot, and religion is a sacred cow not to be objected to or touched. This burqa wearing is barbaric and slavery to religion and its authority, in my opinion. Any freedom of religion that takes away a person's individual freedoms and rights is wrong in a secular society that our Forefathers and freedom fighter fought and died for.

When are we going to get rid of religions based on superstitious nonsense that is taking away freedom, not promoting it, based on the authority of men that think they are superior to anyone different than they are, from women, other races, sexual preferences, or they think are inferior? The idea that God, or Allah, knows morality based on ancient Scriptures gave us the Puritans and Sharia law. When are we going to evolve past magical thinking and superstitious nonsense as a society? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

I think its a perfect example of the insanity of forced indoctrination to a culture of people who haven't advanced in human standards.

Its disgusting, and while I can't obviously protest it in there native country (since I'd be bombed by them) I will say so in my country if I see women walking around like this here in the uk. Its insane, if I were to talk into my place of work with a bag over my head claiming it goes with my belief, I'd be fired, but these people can do it under islam and not told to follow rules of dress code?

I think its enforced because Muslim men are so primitive they can't control there need to fuck wherever they want, so a bag over womens heads keeps them from getting riled up. Of course since young girls don't wear them...

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Well...I obviously won't be cashing checks for anyone covering their face so if they want to walk around looking stupid all day feel free, but they get zero special consideration from me.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

I'm kinda torn on this.

On one hand, I absolutely despise the full-body garb - ostensibly for modesty - yet emblematic of sharia and associated with Islamism.  And of course, it's no secret that this style of dress is more forced on women than chosen by women.  I very much agree with then-president Nicolas Sarkozy of France when he said "The problem of the burka is not a religious problem, it's a problem of liberty and women's dignity. It's not a religious symbol, but a sign of subservience and debasement. I want to say solemnly, the burka is not welcome in France. In our country, we can't accept women prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity. That's not our idea of freedom".  I also dislike sectarian clothing in general as it serves to divide people into different camps.

On the other hand, it seems wrong to target specific groups with bannings purely from a visceral dislike of their cultural norms.  There are also issues related to the free exercise of religion and expression to consider, principles that I'm not eager to abrogate.  It seems bizarre to allow nun outfits and extremely modest Amish clothing without any issue and then fume about Muslim garb.  One wonders how much of this is motivated by concerns for women's rights and how much of this is just veiled xenophobia.

That said, I do support of burka bans, though not without reservations.

Jason78

Quote from: St Giordano Bruno on October 03, 2014, 11:14:49 AM
What are your views on banning the burqa?

It should be completely banned.  It's intimidating and rude.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Poison Tree

I don't like the burqa and hope it goes the way of the powdered wig but am opposed to banning it. Some women choose to wear it--or a brain washed into thinking that they choose to, a bigger issue but not one solved by a ban. I wouldn't want to take away their ability to chose to wear it even if it were in no way connected to religion. But that it is is even more reason for me to oppose banning it because the government should not be in the business of prohibiting religions dress.
Now, some women are forced to wear it and we should make every effort to help them but banning the burqa will do more to turn them into prisoners in their homes then liberating them from a [potentially] abusive family.

That being said, as Mister Agenda said before me, I would not give any special accommodations for people wearing burqas. If whatever you are doing reasonably requires another person to be able to identify who you are then that's that and your religion doesn't change that.
The one conflict would be in areas that have a generally applicable "no mask" law and I'm not really sure how to deal with that. Frankly I think it is a stupid law. Maybe it is not a problem in Florida, but around here it would mostly result in joggers/bikers getting arrested for trying to keep their face from freezing during the winter.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Solitary

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 03, 2014, 12:53:31 PM
I'm kinda torn on this.

On one hand, I absolutely despise the full-body garb - ostensibly for modesty - yet emblematic of sharia and associated with Islamism.  And of course, it's no secret that this style of dress is more forced on women than chosen by women.  I very much agree with then-president Nicolas Sarkozy of France when he said "The problem of the burka is not a religious problem, it's a problem of liberty and women's dignity. It's not a religious symbol, but a sign of subservience and debasement. I want to say solemnly, the burka is not welcome in France. In our country, we can't accept women prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity. That's not our idea of freedom".  I also dislike sectarian clothing in general as it serves to divide people into different camps.

On the other hand, it seems wrong to target specific groups with bannings purely from a visceral dislike of their cultural norms.  There are also issues related to the free exercise of religion and expression to consider, principles that I'm not eager to abrogate.  It seems bizarre to allow nun outfits and extremely modest Amish clothing without any issue and then fume about Muslim garb.  One wonders how much of this is motivated by concerns for women's rights and how much of this is just veiled xenophobia.

That said, I do support of burka bans, though not without reservations.
Again, a good post, but I think nun habits and even nuns are examples of subjugating women for the same reason: Eve is the downfall of man. Amish dress for men and women is ridiculous to me too. I also think this is something to fear from religion, and rightfully so. There are things that are necessarily evils, but dressing to a religious code or any other isn't one of them accept for health reasons, it is just evil, unlike like the police or military, which can still be evil though necessary. It is a moral dilemma, brought on by so many that are, because of religion being an absolute dictator, they can't be wrong because they are following God's decree. I can't think of anything dumber than everyone doing and dressing identically like religion demands. With freedom comes responsibility for the individual, not following the dictates of authority.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

St Giordano Bruno

As much as I pity those women suffocating under those rags I do think banning them is counterproductive. Because all that hostility towards them is only if anything making them become more "fashionable" as an act of defiance.     
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

PickelledEggs

I am not for banning burkas.

BUT.
I will say this though. I was working at the store the other day and noticed 3 women came in with full burkas, while I didn't think they would do anything, I did realize that if they pulled a gun, or stole something, it would be impossible to pin down who it was. I noticed, as someone who worked in the store, that I was keeping a watchful eye on them. Not because they were Muslim, but because they were too anonymous in case something happened.

Sent from inside your mom