News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Philosophy dead?

Started by stromboli, July 27, 2014, 09:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Ok, like I don't mean to be rude, but I never met a Philosophy major that wasn't either a Space Cadet or unable to properly use tools. Tool usage is big with me. I judge people according to their usefulness in catastrophic situations. I want people that can turn sticks and stones into buildings and tools. The bottom of my list is fashion critics, movie critics and Philosophy majors, in ascending order. Celebrity chefs is slightly above that, unless they can cook lizard and make it tasty. Just saying.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on July 28, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
Ok, like I don't mean to be rude, but I never met a Philosophy major that wasn't either a Space Cadet or unable to properly use tools. Tool usage is big with me. I judge people according to their usefulness in catastrophic situations. I want people that can turn sticks and stones into buildings and tools. The bottom of my list is fashion critics, movie critics and Philosophy majors, in ascending order. Celebrity chefs is slightly above that, unless they can cook lizard and make it tasty. Just saying.

You ought to look into Massimo Pigliucci. He's a philosopher from the City University of New York, has a PhD in both philosophy and biology. He is well grounded and a pleasure to read his stuff. There is such a thing as wifull ignorance. I hope you don't fall into that.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massimo_Pigliucci

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: stromboli on July 28, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
My uncle has a philosophy... minor, actually, now that I think about it. Anyway, he seems to think it gives him the ability to dictate the terms of a discussion, to the point where I will just avoid conversations with him a lot of the time. Talk about climate change, and everything is suspect. Talk about Bigfoot, suddenly the tiniest shred of evidence is proof of 9ft hairy men walking in the woods. He even does it to opinions about fucking movies: He thinks Godzilla films are steaming hunks of shit, but loves the new Star Trek films and thinks the Marvel superhero films are absolute masterpieces of storytelling. If you try to argue otherwise, you're just an asshole who doesn't know how to argue. *barf*
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

How does philosophy answer moral questions without God? If there is a train coming toward a switch and going straight it hits a Christian woman carrying a baby, and if it is switched it kills a hundred atheists, what is the correct answer? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Solitary on July 28, 2014, 12:01:28 PM
How does philosophy answer moral questions without God? If there is a train coming toward a switch and going straight it hits a Christian woman carrying a baby, and if it is switched it kills a hundred atheists, what is the correct answer? Solitary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa6c3OTr6yA

Solitary

So a hundred men like Hitler is worth more than a new born baby? I don't think so. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Solitary on July 28, 2014, 12:26:13 PM
So a hundred men like Hitler is worth more than a new born baby? I don't think so. Solitary

stromboli

Tbh, I've learned and used more philosophy on this forum than I ever encountered or used in my actual life. My problems all seemed to be best solved by direct application of force or avoidance.