the hated abortion discussion.

Started by doorknob, July 27, 2014, 08:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

The abortion issue has nothing to do with the rights of the embryo but is about whether the woman has any rights to her own body or not. Anyone who brings up the embryo is intentionally attempting to muddy the issue

Solitary

If an unborn is aborted, and it is a human, why does it die then?  What if it looks like this or worse: :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Solitary on July 27, 2014, 12:08:18 PM
If an unborn is aborted, and it is a human, why does it die then?  :wall: Solitary

:lol:

The whole argument is stupid. Men shouldn't have a say in women do with their bodies and women shouldn't have a say in what other women do with their bodies.

As for taking a potential life.... that argument gets shot in the foot when you realize that the people that are anti-abortion are usually also pro-war....

doorknob

nice i got it.

roe v wade was ruled because of privacy not about a woman's right to her body.

Also if I try to kill myself and some one stops me, Why do I not have the right to kill myself it's my body?

how bout this I cut off my arm and then claim disability. It's my body.

Solitary

There's no law that says you can't cut off your arm, but there is for fraud.  :biggrin2: Solitary

the_antithesis

Here's a thought.

If a woman can't have an abortion because the rights of the embryo are greater than her right to her own body, then the woman is less of a person than the unborn embryo.

If that embryo is female and is born, grows up, and has an unwanted pregnancy but can't have an abortion because she is also less of a person.

Therefore, only female embryos can be safely aborted because women are clearly less human than men.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 27, 2014, 12:31:28 PM
Here's a thought.

If a woman can't have an abortion because the rights of the embryo are greater than her right to her own body, then the woman is less of a person than the unborn embryo.

If that embryo is female and is born, grows up, and has an unwanted pregnancy but can't have an abortion because she is also less of a person.

Therefore, only female embryos can be safely aborted because women are clearly less human than men.
Impeccable logic, sir.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

:lol: And I thought this subject couldn't get more contentious. Solitary

Hijiri Byakuren

I just realized how terrible the_antithesis' last post could sound out of context. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 27, 2014, 12:37:57 PM
I just realized how terrible the_antithesis' last post could sound out of context. :lol:

You mean if I was an actual pro-lifer.

I don't think they realize this is the consequence of their position

Nam

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 27, 2014, 12:00:58 PM
The abortion issue has nothing to do with the rights of the embryo but is about whether the woman has any rights to her own body or not. Anyone who brings up the embryo is intentionally attempting to muddy the issue

How many laws are out there that has been introduced or passed in the US that prevents a man from getting a vasectomy?

The answer, by the way, (I believe) is zero.

Abortion has never been about saving a baby, it's always been about women being second/third class citizens to men.

If people were serious about all life, or potential life being precious then vasectomies would be as evil (to them) as everything passed, attempted to be passed, etc., toward women.

-Nam

Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Gawdzilla Sama

Why come so many pro-lifers lose interest once the kid has been born?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Nam

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 27, 2014, 02:53:16 PM
Why come so many pro-lifers lose interest once the kid has been born?

Because they're alive. Ironically, they actually don't care about the living.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Nam on July 27, 2014, 02:59:42 PM
Because they're alive. Ironically, they actually don't care about the living.

-Nam
Might cost them money, so fuck 'em.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on July 27, 2014, 09:25:09 AM
Taking the logic of prolifers to its conclusion, if a woman has a period and passes an unfetilized egg from her body, she has in effect also killed a potential human. Just because the egg is unfertilized, it still has/had the potential to be fertilized. And it is not unrealistic that we could wind up there, because personhood laws criminalize women for miscarriages where the mother is theoretically the cause, i.e. drinking, unsafe behavior doing something that could be seen as intentional to create a miscarriage.

You can talk and philosophize all day long about whether an egg is human or not, and at what stage it can be considered "not human" enough to be aborted. To me it comes back to simple logistics. If a baby by being born is facing a future of neglect, and by being born bring a negative condition for itself and the parent into existence, abortion is justified. Sounds cold and hard, but so is reality. If a baby by being born will face a life of dubious potential or in constant need of care and is a burden on society with no realistic justification for its life, abortion makes sense. Giving birth to diseased monsters or unwanted, unsupportable offspring is stupid, period.
Careful.. You're treading on eugenics territory there sounding really right wingish on the side of pro choice people with the burden on society nonsense. It's sounding like you're saying it's OK as long as the mother is dirt poor and everyone knows poor people always stay poor so there's no reason to allow them to breed kind of talk..  That's the argument that the Lush Limpballs of the world might make..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.