News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 28, 2021, 05:03:13 PM

I hate when they write out the problems this way. I know there's an order of operations, but why leave things to interpretation? This should say: (2 + 2) x 4, unless the point is specifically to test one's knowledge of the order of operations. But even then, it'd be wrong, because you multiply before you add.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 29, 2021, 11:36:21 AMI hate when they write out the problems this way. I know there's an order of operations, but why leave things to interpretation?
Afaik, they write it that way specifically to test people's knowledge of order of operations, which isn't particularly good lol.

QuoteThis should say: (2 + 2) x 4, unless the point is specifically to test one's knowledge of the order of operations. But even then, it'd be wrong, because you multiply before you add.
Normally, you multiply before you add, but parentheses take precedence over everything else.  So in that example, addition is indeed the very first thing you'd be doing.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 29, 2021, 12:01:53 PM
Afaik, they write it that way specifically to test people's knowledge of order of operations, which isn't particularly good lol.
Normally, you multiply before you add, but parentheses take precedence over everything else.  So in that example, addition is indeed the very first thing you'd be doing.

I'm assuming that because 10 wasn't an available answer, it wasn't intended that one multiply first.
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

I would’ve gone with 10 as well and I don’t know shit about mathematics order
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2021, 09:34:56 PM
I would’ve gone with 10 as well and I don’t know shit about mathematics order
There is a reason for the order. If you consider fractions as numbers...take for example the approximation of pi of 22 divided by 7. If I wanted to add 1 to 22/7, we simply have
22/7 + 1 which is not the same as 22 divided by 8. No need for (22/7)+1

Gawdzilla Sama

Nobody noticed that one per in four got "13"?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

He was slowed down by all those pony boys who weren't on supernatural horses.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Dunbest shit I've seen today. Countless scientists are researching new ways to treat various cancers. If one were to discover a universal miracle drug that cured cancer, they'd be fucking rich. Not to mention the fame and the inevitable Nobel Peace prize they'd instantly receive. But yeah, Big Pharma wants to keep you sick. "Follow the money." lol
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I saw a meme like that (why don't they cure cancer, if their vaccines are so good! Durr durr) and then saw a news blurb saying that Pfizer is working on a cancer vaccine, lmao.

Gawdzilla Sama

My hillbilly cousins are fascinated by science, but have zero, or less, understanding of what they see. This leads to frustration, which leads to hate, which leads to suffering!
PZ Myers

Cassia

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2021, 07:52:35 AM
My hillbilly cousins are fascinated by science, but have zero, or less, understanding of what they see. This leads to frustration, which leads to hate, which leads to suffering!
Yep. So many people around here who don't know that force equals mass times acceleration, what the irrational number PI represents, or can even explain the basics of evolutionary theory who are 'fixin-to-learn-me' all about 'science'. I will typically ask them the most basic of science questions and when they display near zero knowledge I can then ask them why they are attempting to school me or convince me of anything.

Go learn something and then we can talk. WTF. The arrogance of the ignorant is astounding; including the 20 something nieces and nephews in my own family. What the hell were they being taught in school? Why are they so self-confident in their fucked up beliefs? Thousands of years of incredible struggle to uncover truth is just summarily dismissed and disrespected in favor of whack-job misinformation.

Gawdzilla Sama

Most of my cousins are homeschooled, to avoid contamination by science.
PZ Myers