News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 02, 2021, 01:17:37 PM
I remember the same.  Plus we had to know all the states and their capitols.
Yep.  And then we get stuck with politicians who don't know if Puerto Rico is part of the US, confuse the Baltic states with the Balkans, somehow think that Colorado borders Mexico, can't name a single current foreign leader, and seriously claim that wifi causes cancer.

It's like giving a group presentation and the worst member has the mic the entire time and won't let go.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 02, 2021, 08:08:48 AM
Honestly, I don't like these kinds of videos. But in that convo it was really funny ...and you know what, this would be the result in every European country. But it is always American vids...So the poster was annoyed about that too. After all teenagers, man. We have all been there.

Of course these aren't representative of a population and designed for laughs, still I sometimes find these videos shocking.

https://youtu.be/kRh1zXFKC_o

aitm

Yeah, there was a time when I knew all the caps of all the states and all the countries....hell I can’t name half the states anymore.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Facepalm, oxygen edition:

When patients use oxygen, where does it go?  Nobody knows!  And I don't wanna talk to a scientist, those guys lying and getting me pissed!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2021, 11:38:46 AM
*remembers being a teen and being brutally drilled on geography and history, having to do quizzes where I had to label every central/south American country from the top of my head.  <70% was a failing grade, so getting less than 8 out of 10 right was considered "stupid"*

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 02, 2021, 01:17:37 PM
I remember the same.  Plus we had to know all the states and their capitols. 

I do remember reading a study of a country labeling test given to the West Point cadets.  What stuck with me was that 5% mislabeled The Soviet Union!  This was approx. 30 yrs. ago.  How could any West Point cadet not know where the Soviet Union was in those days?????

Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to command that 'information' like you do today then, when you just have learned it. You have used it over and over again  for so long, it's become a part of your general knowledge. You can forget your name because of an accident, you won't forget that. It is far more rare in amnesia. You see it as a whole. Not like some bits of puzzle in an uncovered map as kids do. That's how knowledge works. Time and usage are very important with knowledge. 

But that's not the point. Those videos are made with certain agendas. And it is rarely about how bad the education somewhere is. If that is the problem, we don't need any specific nation; Tik Tok generation is the same everywhere. But we have been watching the same 'Americans are morons' videos since my early 20s. Or how stupid people are anywhere out of the Western countries, compared to some iq tests, lol. Brits or Americans...Those kids are not even paying attention to the questions they are asked. They hear continet, but understand country because they think of the world as places they hear and see around the most. Some would even look at some names as political ones, so not suitable to say in front of a camera. Even adults would do that. They all know the difference between a continent and a country. All they see is that somebody's recording them to post somewhere, paying them a public attention.

A good video of that sort would be one which most people say: 'I don't know' if they can't get it in 5 secs, not trying to say something just the heck of it. 

"Back then"...yeah back then it was better all around. Let me give an example. Additional to all that, I also had to study physics, math, chemistry and biology. In another language. In Literature Class, no less. And Literature Class meant 'the lazy idiots' in my generation. Which is pretty accurate if you ask me. What do I know? The other classes were Math and Science Classes.

From that generation, among the kids like my sister and several friends who attended Science or Math classes got in above average universities abroad very easily, because they could pass English. If you can pass an international English tests, it means you went to a private school or better a state college (high school; kolej). Overwhelming amount of these kids were from middle class or higher. Most couldn't get in of course, no English, but for what's needed STEM wise was what they studied in a public high school and that was taught in universites in first years. 

Of course, these kids had to pass special tests besides English. Like math. So you have a funny picture. A childhood friend of mine did the math full and she was applying for psychology. OK, I accept that an exception but it was pretty funny considering the average and the top bar. Or in chem with my sis.   

So in 90s, the people who got into STEM education abroad, esp. for majors, practically slept in first years. Got pretty successful, found jobs very easily. More experience. These kids got around with their high school basic only and started to build on earlier. They've mostly become middle or higher class Americans. You couldn't tell their ethnic roots. They are all around but Americans don't even see them as immigrants because they're white. There are more extreme examples, like people who worked for science commitee to people who earned millions... but personally related, so not my place. American people can't even imagine Turkish people in this position among them, can they? Nobody would think Mid E immigrants looking at them. My sister has never actually lived an immigrant life in the US. Of course, this would all have been different in Europe. (Maybe a bit different in Germany for Turks, for Indians in Brtian.) But oh well, it is America.

Why is this important. Perspective, perception. Politics. So with Americans, like the middle easterners, exactly the same bullshit has been going on in a different way. You are a close society, and an easy target for obvious reasons. Common intelligence of a society or its stupidity is not measured by asking trivial questions to random young people on street. It cannot be measured. Education is a social and a politcial concept to say the least, it is very complicated. This kind of stuff doesn't have one good intention in it. It's a pure political behaviour, and a learned one.

Do you think Creationism, esp. in education is a threat in the US only concerning Western Cultures? It's been gaining power there from Scandinavia to Netherlands, not to mention others. Have you ever seen it expressed as an open issue? And the moment you look into it, you are bombarded by pieces that for some reason jump to American creationists and US based intelligent design groups in the second paragraph, their influence and of course Islamic communities supporting it happen. Poor Europeans, they are being tricked into creationism by evil Americans and muslims are helping them. Yeah...it is pretty much like the other subject.

Having said all that, as a specific white Brit group thinks their kids are more intelligent than any other nation's, that vid was a good one to post to a white, mainly brexit group. Yeah, there are healthy, real people there too. But I admit, I personally found it hillarious. Because first of all, they are not as carefree as Americans with this stuff. LOL Americans wouldn't give a damn, maybe express worry generally, they would post it themselves.

It just gets on my nerves. Like almost everything else, lol. Anyway, enough Europe bashing for one day.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Let's just say that you don't pay...with money.

Gawdzilla Sama

Beware people with the knuckle disease.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

All I'm thinking that we would be all over in that shop the moment we had eyes on it... LOL Like a beginning of a lame slasher movie. Gawd... so much fun.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 04, 2021, 10:10:16 AMAll I'm thinking that we would be all over in that shop the moment we had eyes on it...
Books and closeouts, I'd be on that like white on rice!

Mike Cl

Let's just say that Needful Things always has something just for you.  The proprietor of the shop makes sure of that!  (Story by the one and only Stephen King)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 04, 2021, 10:49:43 AM
Let's just say that Needful Things always has something just for you.  The proprietor of the shop makes sure of that!  (Story by the one and only Stephen King)

You think he didn't know that when he wrote it? :lol:

drunkenshoe

I think we all agree with Arora on principle? I mean she has a point. (Take that Math!)

E: (She means pre 9/11, in 20th century, she was aging normally. Less stress.)

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 04, 2021, 11:41:51 AM
I think we all agree with Arora on principle? I mean she has a point. (Take that Math!)

E: (She means pre 9/11, in 20th century, she was aging normally. Less stress.)
There's a meme to that effect, that shows old-looking people in stressful occupations and then saying that in reality, they're actually quite young.