Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 06:33:18 AM
I took Latin for 2 years in High School.  We did math in Roman numerals and it was awful.  We also played Scrabble and it nearly brke our minds.  But it sure wasn't the most boring class.
I used to make fun of the kids in Latin school in high school.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 06:33:18 AM
I took Latin for 2 years in High School.  We did math in Roman numerals and it was awful.  We also played Scrabble and it nearly brke our minds.  But it sure wasn't the most boring class.

We had the last Latin teacher in the school district, but I took Mythology from her.  Russian fulfilled my language section.  Played Russian Scrabble.

Сколько леÑ, пещерному медведю?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 06:44:10 AM
I used to make fun of the kids in Latin school in high school.

We used to joke that our old Latin teacher learned it as her native tongue.  But I learned some things about English that I never learned in English class.  When I went to College, I took Latin, but THAT teacher taught it as a living language and I couldn't make any sense of it by just hearing it.  I was a translator, not a speaker.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 10:20:44 AM
We used to joke that our old Latin teacher learned it as her native tongue.  But I learned some things about English that I never learned in English class.  When I went to College, I took Latin, but THAT teacher taught it as a living language and I couldn't make any sense of it by just hearing it.  I was a translator, not a speaker.

Four language skills: hearing, speaking, writing, reading.  We get a native language thru constant reinforcement our whole lives.  And in earlier times only the first two skills.  Julius Caesar was considered a genius by his contemporaries, because he could read Latin without voicing it out (read silently).  Useful if you want to avoid assassins!

The old debate is ... learn by grammar, learn by vocabulary, learn by conversation.  Berlitz was big on the last one, and some still advocate it, there is a school for this, in Latin (mostly for Latin teacher summer vacation) in Italy.  Can't find it again in YouTube because Google algorithm is a joke.  One language learning expert says use all three methods.

So in studying Chinese, my reading ability is pretty good, because that is the only channel I have for learning.  Though I vocalize my sentences.  Having fun with Tibetan now.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2019, 11:42:41 AM
Four language skills: hearing, speaking, writing, reading.  We get a native language thru constant reinforcement our whole lives.  And in earlier times only the first two skills.  Julius Caesar was considered a genius by his contemporaries, because he could read Latin without voicing it out (read silently).  Useful if you want to avoid assassins!

The old debate is ... learn by grammar, learn by vocabulary, learn by conversation.  Berlitz was big on the last one, and some still advocate it, there is a school for this, in Latin (mostly for Latin teacher summer vacation) in Italy.  Can't find it again in YouTube because Google algorithm is a joke.  One language learning expert says use all three methods.

So in studying Chinese, my reading ability is pretty good, because that is the only channel I have for learning.  Though I vocalize my sentences.  Having fun with Tibetan now.

I admire your language skills.  To me, other spoken languages are just immensely long sounds without gaps between words.  As I understand it, our brains have language and music (and possibly math) in one place.  And that place is not working for me.  Other parts seem to work well.  Writing is natural in detail.  Logic comes easily (and to some it does not).  We each have talents.. 

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 12:35:03 PM
I admire your language skills.  To me, other spoken languages are just immensely long sounds without gaps between words.  As I understand it, our brains have language and music (and possibly math) in one place.  And that place is not working for me.  Other parts seem to work well.  Writing is natural in detail.  Logic comes easily (and to some it does not).  We each have talents..

Correct.  Learning language takes a leap of imagination and humanity.  Now I need to convince myself that "I am Tibetan in my heart".  Something us autistic are not known for.  My ex boss in my last job, noted what was unusual about me, is that many are good with either half of their brains, but few are good with both.  Birth defect?  Individual compensation for autism?

I find singing help with spoken language.  That and the ability to mimic.  English speakers have too few consonants.  Listening to vocal music in the target language is critical.

Writing, until punctuation was invented, was just a very long string of symbols without gaps ;-)  How did Julius Caesar read that silently?

Also one's physical and emotional health limit one.  Both are hard for me.  But my metamorphosis is coming soon, I won't remain a caterpillar much longer (think caterpillar in Alice In Wonderland).  My life as a butterfly (see Zhuang Tzu) will be short of course.  But it is what I have been working toward since the dawn of time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 12:37:01 PM
You suffer from the gabble effect.

I might well.  But what is it?  Mostly, the things that connect music, math, and language don't come easily to me.  I can't type worth a damn.  You wouldn't believe how much editing I have to do to avoid/correct typos.

On the other hand, extreme logic and rational thought and factual matters seem as natural to me as breathing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 12:54:10 PM
I might well.  But what is it?  Mostly, the things that connect music, math, and language don't come easily to me.  I can't type worth a damn.  You wouldn't believe how much editing I have to do to avoid/correct typos.

On the other hand, extreme logic and rational thought and factual matters seem as natural to me as breathing.
Unpublished Ph.D. thesis* that proposed that some people needed to learn a language at a pre-verbal age or they'd just hear gabble when hearing a language they didn't already know.

*She died before she finished it.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 01:08:12 PM
Unpublished Ph.D. thesis* that proposed that some people needed to learn a language at a pre-verbal age or they'd just hear gabble when hearing a language they didn't already know.

Sad.  Like the little boy the Pharaoh experimented on, to try to determine the oldest language, by isolating a new born, until it spoke its first word.  Result ... Phrygian.  They thought the first word spoken was "bread" in that language.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 01:08:12 PM

Ah, my apologies for not initially understanding what "gabble" meant.  And thoughts to the lady in your life who died before her PhD, whoever she was...

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on September 11, 2019, 02:03:39 AM
I mean, you are still a dragon, which is pretty dope.

Except I guess the entire world is going to be hunting for you, which is less dope.

Plus, finding dragon poon might be hard. And would you even want it?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 11, 2019, 02:07:05 PM

Donkey managed it in Shrek2...  I think.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 11, 2019, 02:07:05 PM

Do Klingon Men like Klingon Women?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.