Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 11, 2019, 01:22:52 PM
Especially "simple" math! LOL

I guess simple math is for simple people...

Congress flunks addition and subtraction all the time ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Lungs for me.  Definitely not something to skimp on.

Hydra009

Technically, Satan doesn't actually rule hell, but whatever.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 12, 2019, 08:20:28 PM

Technically, Satan doesn't actually rule hell, but whatever.

Yeah, how did this idea of Satan being the ruler of Hell get started? First time he appears in the Bible (and I'm not counting the serpent in the Garden of Eden, which clearly wasn't meant to be him), he's in Heaven, making bets with God. He's sometimes called the Ruler of the Air, or the Lord of Flies, but never the ruler of Hell. Hell is described as having been originally designed to punish the fallen angels, such as Satan, I believe.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 13, 2019, 12:17:44 AM
Yeah, how did this idea of Satan being the ruler of Hell get started? First time he appears in the Bible (and I'm not counting the serpent in the Garden of Eden, which clearly wasn't meant to be him), he's in Heaven, making bets with God. He's sometimes called the Ruler of the Air, or the Lord of Flies, but never the ruler of Hell. Hell is described as having been originally designed to punish the fallen angels, such as Satan, I believe.

Greco-Roman context ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeTWYv5zus

Hades is a competing brother of Zeus.  Jupiter = Heavenly Father (in old Latin).  Don't limit your perspective to the Bible, the ancestors didn't.

And yes, there were precedents in Egyptian and Mesopotamian theology, going farther back.

In the Bible, Satan is the wicked Vizier of God, the Attorney General who will put you in eternal prison.  Jesus is the corrupt defense attorney, who has the power to get any of his followers the "get out of jail free card" even though they are as guilty as sin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGod3QKEIc
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2019, 02:04:28 AM
Greco-Roman context ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeTWYv5zus

Hades is a competing brother of Zeus.  Jupiter = Heavenly Father (in old Latin).  Don't limit your perspective to the Bible, the ancestors didn't.

And yes, there were precedents in Egyptian and Mesopotamian theology, going farther back.

In the Bible, Satan is the wicked Vizier of God, the Attorney General who will put you in eternal prison.  Jesus is the corrupt defense attorney, who has the power to get any of his followers the "get out of jail free card" even though they are as guilty as sin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGod3QKEIc

I limit myself to the Bible because that is what Christians claim to do, even though they frequently believe in things that are nowhere to be found in the Bible (ex: free will, age of accountability, etc). In the first appearance of Satan, in Job, Satan isn't portrayed as the enemy of God. He's the troublemaker, basically like Loki. God not only welcomes him in Heaven, but accepts his proposals. Of course, this has some implications for the kind of God Yahweh is, so Christians had to change Satan's character so he no longer made any sense. I mean, who would purposefully try to outwit an omniscient, omnipotent being? Why would you make an enemy of that person and think you could win?
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

You have a very parochial view ... went to Catholic school?

Even the Church ignores or goes way beyond the Bible.  The Bible is more of a Protestant thing, and even they BS it.  You know and I know that what the Church cares about is the Church, not the Bible or anything else.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Actually, Job isn't the first book in which Satan makes an appearance. His first mention is in 1 Chronicles 21:1, when he "provoked David to number Israel."

But then, I've read that Job is the Bible's oldest book, but the books aren't placed in order of writing, so in that sense Job is the first appearance of Satan.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 13, 2019, 01:14:05 PM
Actually, Job isn't the first book in which Satan makes an appearance. His first mention is in 1 Chronicles 21:1, when he "provoked David to number Israel."

But then, I've read that Job is the Bible's oldest book, but the books aren't placed in order of writing, so in that sense Job is the first appearance of Satan.

Absolute bonus points!  Very impressive.  Are you Jewish?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, I don't really know for sure, since I was adopted at an early age, and have no idea who my real parents were - but I'm circumcised, so I guess it's possible.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 13, 2019, 02:43:50 PM
Well, I don't really know for sure, since I was adopted at an early age, and have no idea who my real parents were - but I'm circumcised, so I guess it's possible.

Did three wise men (or dopers) show up?  I just knew you were the messiah!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 13, 2019, 02:43:50 PM

A lot of parents have their babies circumcised. Not for religious reasons, just because. I believe it initially started with doctors claiming it would make boys masturbate less (pfft), because of course masturbation is evil. Years later, the tradition just stuck because people are slow to change.
--Fulke Greville--