News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2017, 03:05:51 PM
Yep, and a jealous dog.

Yes, and thy dog IS a jealous Dog,  LOL!  Bow before thy dog!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 01:11:05 PM
Well, yes, I think Gore actually won.  It sickens me to say that SCOTUS made a decision and we had to live with it.   But I also recognize that had SCOTUS decided for Gore, others would would feel equally that the system cheated them. 

But ALSO equally, the US and the world would have been better off with Gore.  If the SCOTUS decision was close and thoughtful (which I doubt), it was still a bad decision.
That's the real horror of it.  In the first place, I can think of no higher goal of a democracy than the full and accurate counting of the ballots.  Five Supreme Court Justices thought otherwise; their goal was to ensure their man got in, not to ensure the vote was fully and correctly counted.

Here's one attorney's explanation for the layman of just how crooked a decision it was.  The five justices as much as admitted they were cooking the books for their man when they wrote into Bush v. Gore, "Our consideration is limited to the present circumstances, or the problem of equal protection in election processes generally presents many complexities" â€" in other words, 'you can't use this as precedent, since us five are explicitly pissing on every states' rights decision we've ever handed down in favor of the states'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 03:24:17 PM
Yes, and thy dog IS a jealous Dog,  LOL!  Bow before thy dog!
Yeah, and thou shalt have no other dogs before ME!

lol
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 01:11:05 PM
Well, yes, I think Gore actually won.  It sickens me to say that SCOTUS made a decision and we had to live with it.   But I also recognize that had SCOTUS decided for Gore, others would would feel equally that the system cheated them. 

But ALSO equally, the US and the world would have been better off with Gore.  If the SCOTUS decision was close and thoughtful (which I doubt), it was still a bad decision. 
Apparently, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor is now regretting her vote for Bush - now that it's way too fucking LATE! I read years ago that she voted as she did in order to be able to retire with a Republican as president, so she would be replaced by a conservative.

Lock her up!
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on November 15, 2017, 04:26:39 PM
Thou shalt have no other Dog before me...
Damn - I see you beat me to it! lol
God Not Found

Unbeliever

I guess this isn't exactly funny, but it's perhaps topical:

God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 16, 2017, 01:30:33 PM
Damn - I see you beat me to it! lol
I'm trying to remember who it was that says "A dog looks at you as if you're god.  A cat looks at you as if it is."

Unbeliever

I think that may have been Christopher Hitchens.

Ah, yes, this may be what you're looking for:

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”
Christopher Hitchens
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 16, 2017, 03:19:11 PM
I think that may have been Christopher Hitchens.

Ah, yes, this may be what you're looking for:

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”
Christopher Hitchens
I thought it pre-dated Hitch.  I was thinking it was Churchill, but his quote on the matter was (roughly) "A dog will look up to you.  A cat will look down on you.  But a pig will look at you as an equal."

Unbeliever

God Not Found