News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Sometimes sunlight can taste really good! I bet God could make an all-beef veggie burger. Soon biologists will be able to grow plenty of meat without the cow, or sheep, or, uh, dog.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 08, 2017, 02:53:38 PM
Sometimes sunlight can taste really good! I bet God could make an all-beef veggie burger. Soon biologists will be able to grow plenty of meat without the cow, or sheep, or, uh, dog.
Yeah, and we'll go get in our flying cars.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

If anything says "tiny penis" better than a Ford F-350 Compensator, it's that car.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

I'm starting to wish that I had a tiny penis so I can have a car like that.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 08, 2017, 03:02:59 PMYeah, and we'll go get in our flying cars.
Au contraire, it's not pie-in-the-sky at all.  Lab-grown meat is a thing right now and shows a lot of promise.  Where it might fail is lasting in a pretty competitive market - having companies willing to sell it and consumers willing to buy it for long periods of time.  Artificial meat might be the next Trump steak or the next Salisbury steak.  We just don't know right now.

If it's too expensive or it is successfully stigmatized as "Frankenmeat", it could fail.  But if it's produced at a reasonable price and tastes okay, it could be a huge commercial success.  Hell, we could be looking at a future where artificial meat is a commoner's staple and natural meat is a luxury item - the domain of the rich and occasional delicacy of the middle class.  You might think that's crazy, but that's essentially what happened to lobster.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 08, 2017, 05:19:12 PM
Promises.
You could have as dismissively said exactly the same thing about Faraday's little mercury-filled cup.  Less than a hundred years later, and Western civilization was fundamentally dependent on what that little demonstration showed was possible.

You sound like you expect the technology to be fully matured right now, and that's about as sensible as expecting the universe to have popped into being as-is six thousand years ago.  It may never pan out.  It may prove wildly successful.  Either way, it has to start somewhere.  I don't even mind that we won't know for certain about this technology within my lifetime, most likely.

But that's the whole point of having inquisitive people in labs doing weird things with myoblast cultures and 3D printers -- or, for that matter, little glass cups of mercury.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on November 09, 2017, 10:45:34 AM
You could have as dismissively said exactly the same thing about Faraday's little mercury-filled cup.  Less than a hundred years later, and Western civilization was fundamentally dependent on what that little demonstration showed was possible.

You sound like you expect the technology to be fully matured right now, and that's about as sensible as expecting the universe to have popped into being as-is six thousand years ago.  It may never pan out.  It may prove wildly successful.  Either way, it has to start somewhere.  I don't even mind that we won't know for certain about this technology within my lifetime, most likely.

But that's the whole point of having inquisitive people in labs doing weird things with myoblast cultures and 3D printers -- or, for that matter, little glass cups of mercury.
You make it sound like I'm anti-science. Why is that, given I posted ONE FUCKING WORD.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 09, 2017, 11:39:34 AM
You make it sound like I'm anti-science. Why is that, given I posted ONE FUCKING WORD.
Because in my opinion, the one fucking word you posted is completely and demonstrably ridiculous relative to the subject under discussion.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on November 09, 2017, 12:11:29 PM
Because in my opinion, the one fucking word you posted is completely and demonstrably ridiculous relative to the subject under discussion.
Opinion are like assholes.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 09, 2017, 12:21:08 PM
Opinion are like assholes.
Your point?

I note only that you could have defended, clarified or explained your position, but instead appear to be more bothered that you are being disagreed with rather than what is actually being disagreed.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on November 09, 2017, 12:33:02 PM
Your point?

I note only that you could have defended, clarified or explained your position, but instead appear to be more bothered that you are being disagreed with rather than what is actually being disagreed.
Your requirements are not mine.
PZ Myers