News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 06:29:46 AM
Contradiction is so hilarious.  And the car owner doesn't know it...  Or does?
Ambush sticker.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 08, 2017, 11:06:58 AM

The parties sort of switched sides in the 1960s. The KKK was formed by people who are NOW Republicans and the people who used to be Republicans are NOW Democrats.    Thinking that the past political party views are current is an error.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 08, 2017, 11:06:58 AM

A home schooler acting like he knows what was is taught in the class room....
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 09, 2017, 01:09:17 AMThinking that the past political party views are current is an error.
Yep, and it's an such a predictable error that it's practically diagnostic of one's party affiliation.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 09, 2017, 12:08:46 PM
A home schooler acting like he knows what was is taught in the class room....
I'm waiting for the Klan to open "private schools".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 09, 2017, 12:19:51 PM
I'm waiting for the Klan to open "private schools".

"Welcome, class. Today's class is on how the inferior races micro-evolved from Ishmael and/or Cain. Remember, micro-evolution is okay, but macro-evolution is a conspiracy made up by devil worshiping scientists."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 09, 2017, 01:09:17 AM
The parties sort of switched sides in the 1960s. The KKK was formed by people who are NOW Republicans and the people who used to be Republicans are NOW Democrats.    Thinking that the past political party views are current is an error.
The switch was more or less finalized in the '60s, but it really started with FDR.  Before that, the GOP was in the main the liberal party and the Democrats the conservatives -- Teddy and Franklin may have been respectively a Republican and a Democrat, but both were progressives.  The switch finalized with the Republicans' Southern Strategy, which was a deliberate and conscious decision to appeal to conservative white voters in the South -- who by the 1940s and onward had voted Democratic out of momentum rather than out of conviction and then only when no other option was immediately available -- on the explicit basis of racism.

Politically speaking, that made sense so far as the numbers went -- Southern 'Democrats' were, by the 1960s, Democrats in name only, voting D pretty much only because Lincoln was an R and they knew how to hold a grudge.  Witness the willingness with which they left the party to vote for Thurmond in 1948, Goldwater in 1964, and Wallace in 1968, and the elections of unpledged electors to the Mississippi and Alabama delegations to the Electoral College in 1960.

So the South was ripe for conservative picking, and they quite cheerily went ahead and exploited racial divisions and racism.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

tl;dr: So much of America's flaws can really just be sumarised as, "The South is a cespool of bigotry and stupidity, and it sometimes leaks out to other regions."

I think as a Texan I have the right to say that... even if Texas does have to carry most of the weight in the Union and is arguably both the most important and best state in the States even with it's Southern flaws.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 07:52:12 PM
tl;dr: So much of America's flaws can really just be sumarised as, "The South is a cespool of bigotry and stupidity, and it sometimes leaks out to other regions."

I think as a Texan I have the right to say that... even if Texas does have to carry most of the weight in the Union and is arguably both the most important and best state in the States even with it's Southern flaws.
But we like you anyway.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 07:52:12 PM

Texas is merely one state and not the best.  But I will grant that Dallas is the last Eastern city and Ft Worth the 1st Western one.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gilgamesh

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman