News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 11:37:07 AM
Yep, the sweeping generalizations win again.

But in my case I can claim both personal college and office experience, and reinforced by many examples.  Not every anecdotal experience is unsupported by others.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 11:56:48 AM
But in my case I can claim both personal college and office experience, and reinforced by many examples.  Not every anecdotal experience is unsupported by others.
So you know enough to judge the entire 800,000-1,000,000 LEOs in the country?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 12:09:40 PM
So you know enough to judge the entire 800,000-1,000,000 LEOs in the country?

Even a google search didn't  tell me what LEOs were, but the context hit me.  Law Enforcement Officers...

Of course not.  But I know one who fit right in and that is indicitive.  And I have met a few (in non-offense situations since I haven't gotten so much as a school zone ticket in 50 years) and I do have a certain justifiable opinion of their attitude.

I'm sorry this is really bothering you.  I didn't intend it to be.

As far as I can tell, they are "of a type" just as nuns and teachers and sports coaches are. 

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 12:27:45 PM
Again, sweeping generalizations.

Well, let's explore that. 

On the topic of authoritarianism and police, Robert Balch summarized some of the main traits of LEOs...

a. Conventionalism: rigid adherence to conventional, middle-class values.

b. Authoritarian Submission: submissive, uncritical attitude toward idealized moral authorities of the ingroup.

c. Authoritarian Aggression: tendency to be on the lookout for, and to condemn, reject, and punish people who violate conventional values.

d. Anti-intraception: opposition to the subjective, the imaginative, the tender-minded.

e. Superstition and Stereotypy: the belief in mystical determinants of the individual's fate; the disposition to think in rigid categories.

f. Power and "toughness": preoccupation with the dominance-submission, strong-weak, leader-follower dimension; identification with power figures; overemphasis upon the conventionalized attributes of the ego; exaggerated assertion of strength and toughness.

g. Destructiveness and Cynicism: generalized hostility, vilification of the human.

h. Projectivity: The disposition to believe that wild and dangerous things go on in the world; the projection outwards of unconscious emotional impulses.

i. Sex: Exaggerated concern with sexual "goings on."

In other words, its not just me...

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 01:12:15 PM
No, you are one of the yowling pack.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  But Black guys selling individual cigarettes on the street aren't killing themselves.  Old demented Black guys holding a stick aren't killing themselves.  As-yet-to-be-charged Black guys aren't putting themselves in lethal chokeholds. 

Shall I continue?

Gawdzilla Sama

Don't bother. Don't speak if you won't listen.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 02:11:49 PM

The question is "who isn't listening"?  I gave you facts.  You gave... what?

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 28, 2017, 02:22:56 PM

OUTSTANDING  SNARK!  I admire that guy.  I've been saving coins for years (just in case) but that sure beats coins.

Unbeliever

I've never had to pay a ticket, of any kind, but if I did that might be a good way to do it!
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 02:11:49 PM

Look, I like the police generally.  They are essential to an orderly society and generally enforce the law fairly.  But you have to acknowledge in return that some are just out of control.  My college acquaintance was/is one of those and we have all seen examples of others who should be doing other work better suited to them.

You can't say they are all 100% perfect.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 28, 2017, 02:33:21 PM
I've never had to pay a ticket, of any kind, but if I did that might be a good way to do it!

If I ever get a really truly unjustified fine (and I haven't, though I've paid a couple), I'll be looking up origami pigs...

Unbeliever

God Not Found