News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Jack89 on December 01, 2016, 04:56:36 PM

Shiranu the comic is knocking liberals who seem forgiving of Castro because communist dictatorship improved healthcare and education, similar to how the Nazis made the trains run on time. My husband is from Cuba and immigrated to the US with his parents and siblings after the government confiscated all their money and property, so we were all celebrating his death.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 01, 2016, 06:55:00 PM
Shiranu the comic is knocking liberals who seem forgiving of Castro because communist dictatorship improved healthcare and education, similar to how the Nazis made the trains run on time. My husband is from Cuba and immigrated to the US with his parents and siblings after the government confiscated all their money and property, so we were all celebrating his death.

I'm a liberal and I always thought Castro (and all communists) was a complete raving lunatic.  And it is a pity he couldn't throw a curve.  Would have saved the world a LOT of trouble.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 12:42:31 PM
I'm a liberal and I always thought Castro (and all communists) was a complete raving lunatic.  And it is a pity he couldn't throw a curve.  Would have saved the world a LOT of trouble.

Funny how Castro said he wouldn't die until America was destroyed, and now we have Chump for president, and Castro's dead...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Low sperm count is the work of the global transhumanist cabal!

Shiranu

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 01, 2016, 06:55:00 PM

Ah, that explains alot.

Castro was a huge improvement for Cuba, and frankly a huge part of Cuba's problems were American, not Castro, made. Fulgencio Batista was far more ruthless than Castro ever was and was American backed, yet we thought he was just the bee's knees because he protected our interests.

When Castro overthrew Batista, he came to America asking for our support, and we slammed the door in his face for overthrowing our man and daring to lean towards Communism. The resulting embargo fucked over the Cuban economy for the last 40, 50 years and destroyed any chance of a peaceful regime. I'm sorry, but as an American I have no right to judge Castro for a situation we heavily created. And at the end of the day he did more good than what would have happened to Cuba under the American-backed dictatorship.

If it wasn't for Castro, Cuba would likely still be either under a brutal dictatorship or just recovering from political upheaval. The only difference is the media would be telling you how wonderful our puppet is and how nothing ever goes wrong on the Island while the people suffer in silence. Cuba was fucked either way, but at least under Castro we acknowledged that.

Btw, Batista took about 70% of the arable land from the people and granted it to U.S.-leaning landowners and corporations. But that seems oddly inconvenient to bring up when Castro taking property back is brought up. It almost makes Castro's actions sound justifiable, and that just won't do for Americans. Nor the fact that people who complained about Batista's corruption with the American market were systematically imprisoned and tortured, with up to 15,000 protesters abducted.

Cubans who support American intervention in Cuba are delusional. It's just a shame Russia was no better. Hopefully now that Castro is dead and we are in a "new" era, Cuba can start to establish a truly independent state.

To quote a late U.S. president...

QuoteAt the beginning of 1959 United States companies owned about 40 percent of the Cuban sugar landsâ€"almost all the cattle ranchesâ€"90 percent of the mines and mineral concessionsâ€"80 percent of the utilitiesâ€"practically all the oil industryâ€"and supplied two-thirds of Cuba's imports. â€" John F. Kennedy

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

This should read "When they don't like modern art". That's not 'contemporary', it is 'modern'. (Making fun of Mondrian I guess) It is practically 'ancient' compared 'contemporary'.

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 26, 2016, 07:20:41 PM

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

And why don't anyone lke kindles? I love them. :sad2:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Its only problem is the dern foreign talk on it.

Gawdzilla Sama

♫And away go troubles, down the drain, Redneck Rooter!♫
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on November 24, 2016, 12:07:07 AM
I spend all day looking at screens, the last thing I want is a book i am reading to also be sending harmful radiation into my eyes.
Yeah, because that's a real thing that happens.... :rolleyes:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful