News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on November 18, 2021, 11:55:47 AM
We inherited some WW2 bolt rifles and after a just few shots at the range my shoulder was finished for the day. I am very good with a rifle at 50 yards. At 20 yards I can hit a 2 liter bottle with my bow all day long. I have some arrows still stuck in trees around here, that was stupid. We recently found one of my arrows from 5 years ago, LOL. I was working on some tricks last week...double shots and some speed shooting.
Thought I'd like archery--this was several decades ago, tho.  Kept hitting my wrist with the bow string--got a little bloody and figured that was the universe's way of showing me I was not cut out to be an archer.  Same with the cornet.  In 5th grade joined the little band the music teacher had and selected the cornet.  After about 3 months, the music teacher told my parents that he thought it would be best that I not take up music.  Archery and music, two of my failures in life. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

From what I remember, I liked archery... wasn't great at it though, and that was probably 15 years ago.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 18, 2021, 09:38:26 AM
I do not see the need of anybody owning large capacity clips or fully automatic weapons.

Why not? There is supposed to be about 650,000 legally owned machineguns in the US. It has been 87 years since machineguns became heavily regulated in the US, and a legally owned machinegun has never been used in a mass shooting by a civilian during that time. There have only been 3 verified and maybe a 4th instance of a legally owned machinegun being used to commit murder since 1934. Of the 3 verified cases one was a police officer that used a privately owned MAC-11 to kill an informant. Another police officer killed some of his neighbors with a department issued weapon. i.e. not privately owned. The third was a soldier that used his issued M4. NOt privately owned again. Of the 3 only 1 was privately owned and the perp in that case was a cop. The forth case was a doctor, i.e. civilian, but apparently no one knows if he actually used a machinegun or not. That whole story was based on a report that he "registered" the weapon that was used when he bought it. The problem with that is you have to register a machinegun before you buy it and wait months for the FBI/AFT to conduct background checks.

So there has maybe been 2 times in 87 years that someone used a privately owned machinegun to commit murder and in one of those instances the perp was not a civilian. The laws restricting ownership of machineguns in the US seem to be working just fine.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on November 18, 2021, 06:45:22 PM
Why not? There is supposed to be about 650,000 legally owned machineguns in the US. It has been 87 years since machineguns became heavily regulated in the US, and a legally owned machinegun has never been used in a mass shooting by a civilian during that time. There have only been 3 verified and maybe a 4th instance of a legally owned machinegun being used to commit murder since 1934. Of the 3 verified cases one was a police officer that used a privately owned MAC-11 to kill an informant. Another police officer killed some of his neighbors with a department issued weapon. i.e. not privately owned. The third was a soldier that used his issued M4. NOt privately owned again. Of the 3 only 1 was privately owned and the perp in that case was a cop. The forth case was a doctor, i.e. civilian, but apparently no one knows if he actually used a machinegun or not. That whole story was based on a report that he "registered" the weapon that was used when he bought it. The problem with that is you have to register a machinegun before you buy it and wait months for the FBI/AFT to conduct background checks.

So there has maybe been 2 times in 87 years that someone used a privately owned machinegun to commit murder and in one of those instances the perp was not a civilian. The laws restricting ownership of machineguns in the US seem to be working just fine.

I still don't think anybody needs a fully automatic weapon.  Did not mention machineguns.  I was thinking of assault  ​rifles.  What would anybody need a banana clip or any large clip for an assault rifle?  Combat soldiers would, but who else?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

It's not really an issue of need though; if you want one & don't have a criminal record, it really should not be any of the government's business.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 18, 2021, 10:53:05 PMIt's not really an issue of need though; if you want one & don't have a criminal record, it really should not be any of the government's business.
It's the government's business if I buy a car...so...?

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 18, 2021, 10:58:38 PM
It's the government's business if I buy a car...so...?

They don't care if you buy a car, they only care about how you use it.

Even then the government is only concerned about how you use that car on their property; there is nothing stopping you from buying a 60 HP shitbox or a 1200 HP supercar, having it delivered to your property, and driving it to your heart's content at any speed on your private property (hell, you could even be drunk) without a license, it's just when you take it on public property that they regulate you.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 18, 2021, 09:50:34 PM
I still don't think anybody needs a fully automatic weapon.  Did not mention machineguns.  I was thinking of assault  ​rifles.  What would anybody need a banana clip or any large clip for an assault rifle?  Combat soldiers would, but who else?

Fully automatic firearms are called machine guns, generally. Assault rifles are semi-automatic, meaning that they will only fire one round with a squeeze of the trigger, and will not fire another round until the trigger is squeezed again (and do not require a manual bolt to cycle the spent round out of the chamber and the new round in). The difference between "assault rifles" and "hunting rifles" is vanishingly small. I will agree with you that in general, no civilian needs a large magazine.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 18, 2021, 11:29:12 PM
Fully automatic firearms are called machine guns, generally. Assault rifles are semi-automatic, meaning that they will only fire one round with a squeeze of the trigger, and will not fire another round until the trigger is squeezed again (and do not require a manual bolt to cycle the spent round out of the chamber and the new round in). The difference between "assault rifles" and "hunting rifles" is vanishingly small. I will agree with you that in general, no civilian needs a large magazine.
You mean the m16 I had in the Army only fired semi-auto???  I wonder what the fully automatic fire was all about?? 

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 18, 2021, 11:44:28 PM
You mean the m16 I had in the Army only fired semi-auto???  I wonder what the fully automatic fire was all about??
I did a research paper in a grad-level statistics class that asserted it was more likely that a gun owner would shoot themselves or family than successfully defend the home against break-ins. I had a section that discussed all the different classifications of firearms and I recall that some M16s have a three shot burst instead of the full auto machine gun mode. So you have to keep re-depressing the trigger to empty the magazine unlike a one press, full automatic gun. The term 'assault rifle' has become useless as a defining term for the average non-gun person. I got an 'A' even though the professor told me he was a gun guy, LOL. If I recall correctly there are more guns in safes (I hope), closets and under beds than there are people in this country and that was a while ago. And half of these people are more stupid than the average, LOL.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 18, 2021, 11:03:01 PM
They don't care if you buy a car, they only care about how you use it.

Even then the government is only concerned about how you use that car on their property; there is nothing stopping you from buying a 60 HP shitbox or a 1200 HP supercar, having it delivered to your property, and driving it to your heart's content at any speed on your private property (hell, you could even be drunk) without a license, it's just when you take it on public property that they regulate you.

Do you truly believe that cars should be more regulated than guns?

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on November 19, 2021, 07:41:57 AMI did a research paper in a grad-level statistics class that asserted it was more likely that a gun owner would shoot themselves or family than successfully defend the home against break-ins.
Yep.  More likely to be used in suicide than homicide (justified or not), iirc.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 19, 2021, 09:13:58 AM

Do you truly believe that cars should be more regulated than guns?

Honestly, yes.

Like a car, if someone is taking a gun to public property then I think it's 100% reasonable to have regulations on that, but if someone wants to buy a fully automatic grenade launcher, so long as he is using it on his or a consenting owner's private property then, so long as he meets the background checks, he should be free to use it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on November 19, 2021, 07:41:57 AM
I did a research paper in a grad-level statistics class that asserted it was more likely that a gun owner would shoot themselves or family than successfully defend the home against break-ins. I had a section that discussed all the different classifications of firearms and I recall that some M16s have a three shot burst instead of the full auto machine gun mode. So you have to keep re-depressing the trigger to empty the magazine unlike a one press, full automatic gun. The term 'assault rifle' has become useless as a defining term for the average non-gun person. I got an 'A' even though the professor told me he was a gun guy, LOL. If I recall correctly there are more guns in safes (I hope), closets and under beds than there are people in this country and that was a while ago. And half of these people are more stupid than the average, LOL.
endfamilyfire.org
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers