News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Anyone who takes knitting for granted or think it is something you could just pick up and do when you have nothing to do, absoluely has no idea about it. I'm not even going into gender thing...pffft.

Thinking now, probably the low quality of last generation 'hand knitted' material owes to a lot to that prejudice. It was started to be seen trivial and low class at some point?

I've found a few scarves -just scarves not even something complicated- mom knitted when she was in her 20s, I can't believe the quality of..what is that called in English, noose, stitch? How do I know that beca%u0131se I haven't seen anything like that even in main stream high end shops.

But something tells me this is also about the self reliant, fixing qualities of that generation. My aunts and esp. my gran was the same. They all say -gran's dead- they are too old to do it anymore. Mom knitts but she is never staisfied with it.

They also sewed like professional tailors. (Gran did it professionally for some time.) Same story. Too many times I gave the answer of 'nope, hand made by mom' to a 'Where did you get that?' question in my youth.

To be honest, I'm ashamed to be the descendent of those women in that department. We didn't get its value at the required age and they've also never forced us. They should have.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

I was once bored enough to teach myself how to use two ten-key calculators at the same time.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on November 30, 2020, 10:38:48 PM
Looks like a hot dog cooker to me.

We used an electric hot dog cooker in "shop" in Junior High.  A cord to the wall, a rheostat to control the current, a board with two nails in it.  You impaled a hot dog across the nails to complete the circuit.  This was a teaching moment, about the dangers of electricity.  Snowflakes would ban it now ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 01, 2020, 11:01:42 AM
I was once bored enough to teach myself how to use two ten-key calculators at the same time.

The monkey in Dilbert can use his feet and his tail as well.  Why he is the best programmer in the company ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 01, 2020, 02:15:20 AM
Did you know that people thought they were some kind of bird eggs in olden times?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnacle_goose_myth

But what about the character, Barnacle Bill?  Used in multiple media because ... alliteration I suppose ;-)

You know that hose (now socks) were originally worn by men only, and women knitted them all.  That is why poor people might still "darn" socks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Watch out for the giant AI guardian beach balls!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 01, 2020, 02:15:20 AM
Did you know that people thought they were some kind of bird eggs in olden times?
No, I did not know that. Not surprised ,though, people then, as now, believed all sorts of silly stuff
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 01, 2020, 07:25:19 PM
No, I did not know that. Not surprised ,though, people then, as now, believed all sorts of silly stuff

People today are stone age to people 10,000 years from now.  Particularly the "stoned" part.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 01, 2020, 07:25:19 PM

LOL But it makes sense though when there is no knowledge. Look at that. It looks like a hatched egg. I bet if the pen holders, the noble class men I mean, have asked the sailors they would get an idea. Maybe that's how they found out. In their position, sailors probably even had to eat them on ocassions. Although religion wise it could be forbidden too.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

In other news, dogs would wear Covid masks even if there was no Covid, as long as the pack leader does ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers