News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

LOOL. Turkish link gives numbers at the other side -which is understandable according to the story- but says both sides tell the story differently, and that Austria gives a negative record on their own. There is no ref, but I think the reason for that is that there are rather weird and silly (I don't want to say funny) things about this war.

I think this is the war that is refered to as which 'Austrians lost to Austrians' rather than a one Ottomans won. According to the story, Austrian forces make a camp near to the town Karansebes (today in Romania). During the patrols they don't find any Turks in the area, and the cavalry buy drinks from gypsies, to get drunk and have fun. The infantry wants in on the fun and there is a fight and chaos.

Now, the Austrian army -like every army before the modern state- is not a 'national army' because it is a very new concept and armies are -like every other groups in Europe- full of many various soldiers from different ethnic backgrounds -romen, italian, german, austrian...etc speaking different vernaculars. So when you think about communication before modern education -even in a primitive form- think about huge amount of miscommunication all around in every kind of level.

This is all happening at night. The officers try to calm the situation and yell HALT HALT HALT which causes a panic -probably fire their guns for attention while riding around- which was misunderstood as the Ottoman arrival by the drunk forces brawling between themselves and most of the Habsburg army kill each other in the dark. Two days later, Ottoman forces arrive, pick whatever is left and take the town.

I have no idea how much of that is true but it seems this is a weird one, so probably something unusual happened that night, apparently with no Ottomans in the scenery yet. Who knows what happened. Maybe they've had something going before all that? It's the Habsburg Dynasty after all.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

This is why the German Empire had to escalate in 1914, to keep older brother Austrian-Hungarian Empire out of trouble.  Too many damn languages ;-) This is also why Germany got blamed for the war, not Austria-Hungary.  Without German competence, the war would have died down much sooner.  The Czar was also guilty ... to declare war on Austria-Hungary to save Serbia (which was guilty of supporting the assassins)  The Russian Empire was another shambolic mess.  But not Germany, not France, not Britain.  When Italy entered the war on the opposite side they had pledged too, they were equally shambolic.  The Ottoman Empire defended itself admirably.  Turks are good on defense, not so good on offense by that time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Ughhh...It's gonna get a little crowded...

Baruch

Waterworld ... wasn't too bad a movie actually.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on October 18, 2020, 06:51:46 AM
Ughhh...It's gonna get a little crowded...

Ah, the period when the real fun will start... Do we have an approximate date?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2020, 01:47:05 PM

Neo-Cretaceous brings back the dinosaurs.  I am game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rLzPVAdyo

Watch out for the dino poop!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2020, 01:47:05 PM

It's good to be old.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 19, 2020, 08:08:57 PM
Yea, and good to have no kids to worry about.
Never got tagged for any errant wigglers, so yeah, no kids here either.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

This. I have been thinking about this for the last few years a lot. Pandemic is just the door opening to the batshit phase.

Baruch

A worry worth having ;-)  Contentment is over-rated.

Per picture.  I was once on a busy highway, closely following a pickup truck pulling a flat bed trailer, which had a king sized mattress on it, not tied down at all.  We were moving along in traffic about 45 mph, and the mattress flew off onto the pavement just in front of me.  I somehow quantum tunneled past it without hitting it, with little room to swerve.  Proof my quantum wave function was favorable that day ;-)  Praise Heisenberg!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.