News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Of course, if you hate all animals, they can all go to Hell regardless.  But then I would consider you sub-human ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

And we have this amazing canal lock system where ships can go uphill.  And yeah, I don't know how that works either.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 07, 2020, 04:41:21 PM

And we have this amazing canal lock system where ships can go uphill.  And yeah, I don't know how that works either.
I read "a connecticut yankee in king arthur's court " decades ago, and I wondered that same thing when I finished it.  With my knowledge of how things work, what could I really do to show them I was a wizard?  Not much.  Hank Morgan can still build rings around me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

You could be STEM or you could be a loser ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 07, 2020, 05:06:02 PMI read "a connecticut yankee in king arthur's court " decades ago, and I wondered that same thing when I finished it.  With my knowledge of how things work, what could I really do to show them I was a wizard?  Not much.  Hank Morgan can still build rings around me.
I could teach them new card games.  Maybe invent soccer and volleyball, depending on the year.

I could also explain germ theory (without proof, I dunno if anyone would believe me) and explain the basics of republicanism and secularism, which would almost certainly be the most self-jeopardizing thing I could possibly do there.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 07, 2020, 06:10:54 PM
I could teach them new card games.  Maybe invent soccer and volleyball, depending on the year.

I could also explain germ theory (without proof, I dunno if anyone would believe me) and explain the basics of republicanism and secularism, which would almost certainly be the most self-jeopardizing thing I could possibly do there.

People would believe you concerning germs. People weren't the biggest skeptics back then. They thought everything was explained by a god. Speak with enough confidence, and they'll accept it, even if they take some time to adjust to it. As for republicanism and secularism, it may depend on the region and time period you present that to them in.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 07, 2020, 08:57:39 PMPeople would believe you concerning germs. People weren't the biggest skeptics back then. They thought everything was explained by a god. Speak with enough confidence, and they'll accept it, even if they take some time to adjust to it.
They'd think disease was either caused by an imbalance of humors or "bad air" (miasma).  I doubt I could sufficiently disprove either, nor find any microscopic animals without a microscope.  No amount of self-confidence would convince people to disbelieve what they already believe and have no reason to think is suspect.

QuoteAs for republicanism and secularism, it may depend on the region and time period you present that to them in.
An extremely rare class of aristocrats, perhaps.  Everyone else would either be offended or murderously offended.

Cassia

It is all the things NOT in the scriptures that lead me to non belief. Not one thing in any holy book that a contemporary person could not have written. Then we can can talk about all the stupid shit that are in them.

Hydra009

I could try to improve the cuisine, but with no potatoes, tomatoes, corn, or chili peppers, there goes like 70% of my recipes.  *sad taco noises*

Ooh, I could introduce hamburgers!  (though using a knife to manually ground the beef would be a pain)  And french fries!  Though with eggplants instead of potatoes, since potatoes are unavailable.  Maybe I could call them spanish fries as a joke.  And chicken wings, though without chilies that's pretty much exercise in futility.  Curried?  Probably too expensive.  I suppose honey mustard will have to do.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 07, 2020, 09:35:44 PM
I could try to improve the cuisine, but with no potatoes, tomatoes, corn, or chili peppers, there goes like 70% of my recipes.  *sad taco noises*

Ooh, I could introduce hamburgers!  (though using a knife to manually ground the beef would be a pain)  And french fries!  Though maybe I could call them spanish fries as a joke.  And chicken wings, though without chilies that's pretty much exercise in futility.  Curried?  Probably too expensive.  I suppose honey mustard will have to do.

The primary problem before the early 20th century, was lack of refrigeration.  All food was local, seasonal, and with the exception of grain, consumed immediately.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on July 07, 2020, 10:17:11 PM
The primary problem before the early 20th century, was lack of refrigeration.  All food was local, seasonal, and with the exception of grain, consumed immediately.

Define immediately. People have been preserving meats since pre-history days. Dehydrated fish will keep for a season if kept dry, and that goes back probably tens possibly hundreds of thousands of years. Commercial trade in salted/smoked meats goes back at least to the Romans.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Salted herring saved Europe after the Bubonic Plague.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 08, 2020, 02:59:42 PM
Define immediately. People have been preserving meats since pre-history days. Dehydrated fish will keep for a season if kept dry, and that goes back probably tens possibly hundreds of thousands of years. Commercial trade in salted/smoked meats goes back at least to the Romans.

Lots of places had plenty of food year round ... because I saw it on TV.  I remember in my own lifetime that fruits and vegetables were seasonal.

If you want to live like 1000 or 2000 year ago, feel free ;-)  You are welcome to give up your modern conveniences.  Salted/smoked meats were for the masters, not the slaves.  Vikings had salted/smoked fish, again not for the thralls.  Depended on where you lived.  Nevada Indians collected pine nuts.  You didn't have meat out in the country, unless you hunted (banned in the Middle Ages) or slaughtered a rare farm animal (mostly used for wool and milk).  Cattle were used for plowing.

My own ancestors as recently as 100 years ago, had a dirt floor, a tiny stove, too many kids, and if hail flattened the wheat you had to eat your seed for next year.  They were using mules to plow as recently as 1930.  My mother's parents had a goat for slaughter one time ... but you couldn't do that every day, unless you had the livestock of the emperor.

There was a lot of tuna taken from the Sea of Azov in Greek times.  Might have gotten that as far as Greece (wet catch kept live).  What were the Romans trading long distance in?  Garum.  Goo made from rotten fish, especially in Spain.  Think anchovy paste.  Indirect ancestor of ketchup.  One of the scandals of Nero was, he had slaves bring him snow from the Alps, so he could have cold drinks.

Why are those guards at the Tower of London called "Beefeaters"?  Tudor people were lucky to have a chicken once in awhile.  Some Native Americans made jerky or pemmican.  Why were women in particular, shorter at adulthood until 120 years ago?  Because they were malnourished.  The men ate first, the women and children got the scraps.  Not many Americans could stand to live like the Amish, let alone like a un-improved Native American (ignore Rousseau).

Why were Vikings well fed?  They had fish, and they went "viking" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGF9G6RdHFg
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.