News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Why not speak ill of the dead? It's not like they care.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 28, 2019, 11:03:26 PM
Why not speak ill of the dead? It's not like they care.
It's considered mean to their family (the implication being that people who loved him/her in life were wrong about his/her character), and also unfair since the dead cannot defend themselves.

That being said, I despise how people's complex and often tumultuous lives are whitewashed into something angelic and pure of heart and impossibly noble.  Most people no doubt have their moments of virtue, but that's not the whole story.  Imo, it reaffirms their humanity to share the grey stories as well, not just the lily white ones.

Mr.Obvious

You know, Hitler just tried to do what he thought was right. And he did manage to unify a great deal of people's. Not to mention, he killed Hitler.

Don't speak ill of the dead, pfff.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sal1981

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 28, 2019, 11:30:11 PM
It's considered mean to their family (the implication being that people who loved him/her in life were wrong about his/her character), and also unfair since the dead cannot defend themselves.

That being said, I despise how people's complex and often tumultuous lives are whitewashed into something angelic and pure of heart and impossibly noble.  Most people no doubt have their moments of virtue, but that's not the whole story.  Imo, it reaffirms their humanity to share the grey stories as well, not just the lily white ones.
Soooooo, dead orphans are fair game?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 29, 2019, 06:34:11 AMSoooooo, dead orphans are fair game?

Sometimes children can be real assholes, including orphans.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 28, 2019, 01:24:08 PM
Don't they measure our motion relative to the CMB?

Yes.  The computer processing has to remove the net motion of the solar system relative to the galactic core and the motion of the Earth about the Sun.  Presumably the residual galactic motion relative to the CMB is smaller still.  At least that is the pictures I have seen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

So does the CMB count as "absolute" space?
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 29, 2019, 01:24:08 PM
So does the CMB count as "absolute" space?

No.  Only an approximation.  Only the original singularity would be, and we can't "see" that in any practical way.  Just 300 M years after it.  But the differential motion in that first period, wouldn't be too big.  The closer to the present, the more differential motion you have to cancel out … closer to present equals closer to Earth.  So basically Earth rotation and orbit are the biggest part.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 28, 2019, 07:58:27 AM
Why I have bad grades in school starter pack:

I loved those.  The last was especially laughable.  The question was "how is it possible?" and I ran into questions like that too often in school.  Teachers can be completely informed on a subject and also logically blind at the same time.

Now granted, that might just be an internet fake.  But I did experience a few similar things in school.  So I'll accept the concept even if the particular example is false.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Also, doing it again.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 28, 2019, 11:30:11 PM

sounds like my fathers story. In life he was a pretty worthless man, his only credit would have been his own biological son, but he died at 12, so he wasn't even responsible for bringing me or my brother into the world. He did very little to be a good father to us, he worked a 9-5 job, which was probably his only other credit, but didn't do anything with us when home (something even I've done with my nephews after arriving home after a hards days work).

he drank himself to death, did nothing with the family, when we had friends or other family around he locked himself in his room and drank more and more. And he didn't even try to stay in touch with his brothers and sisters, I only met them once as a child, and that was only due to my mother convincing him for the family to visit them.

But upon his death, all his brothers and sisters showed up at his funeral (hadn't even seen him for 15 years before he died) and acted like he had all this virtue or was a great and supporting father and a great brother. It felt like the most hollow and shallow experience I've ever known. They didn't know the him, didn't know the reason why he died, that he was a neglectful father and husband, they just had an idealized image of him.

I'll probably never see his family again because like say, I'm not even related to them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Not that different from my adopted father. Just another loser who did what he wanted and to hell with his "family."
God Not Found