News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 17, 2019, 01:25:26 AM
Sad thing is, if the military just opened fire on people as soon as they were in range, slaughtering them all without mercy, I have no doubt Republicans would defend the military for doing so.

I would defend the military for doing so.  And I have never been a Republican.  Going on a military reservation, without permission, is a bad idea.  One evening, I made a wrong turn, my parents were my passengers.  In San Diego.  I ended up at the attack nuclear submarine base.  The young Marine in full battle gear, protecting our nuclear weapons that night, was very nice, when I very politely asked him if it was OK, since I had made a wrong turn, to find some way to reverse direction (the road hadn't permitted an easy turn around before that point).  I didn't fancy us being riddled with M16 bullets.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 16, 2019, 11:52:59 PM
Chunky salsa?
Two ounce piece of lead traveling at supersonic speed, it transmits that kinetic energy to the impacted body nicely. And at close ranges it just doesn't stop because some puny meatsack is in its way.

There's a reason the Ma Deuce has been on the line for a century now.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us." - Winston Churchill
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 16, 2019, 05:00:45 AM
That's a joke isn't it? Just humour as usual?

Bcause there is a lot of really stupid, armed, physically fit American youth who are completely cut out of reality and will try to get in to a military research fascility thinking it is a UFO base, which would get them detained, shot or worse.   

Probably not that bad, I would think they probably get water cannons and the guards will get riot gear with battoons to counter the few fools trying to storm the facility.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 17, 2019, 10:13:41 AM
Probably not that bad, I would think they probably get water cannons and the guards will get riot gear with battoons to counter the few fools trying to storm the facility.

Better plan.  Capture some, and let the aliens do human experimentation on them.  Invest in alien probes while there is still time!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 16, 2019, 08:53:16 PM
Bear in mind that this was originally a joke proposal.  So yes, unrealistic without a doubt.

I dunno about western constitutional tradition, but the US has a habit of confrontations between civilians and the federal government (that might be a bit of an understatement) as well as the sheer curiosity the public has for a site they believe may have aliens and/or alien technology.  Really captures the imagination.

Also, the naive belief that doing something like this won't have serious consequences (misunderestimating the guards and the police)

Well, that's what I have in mind, but I am always concerned about these kind of things. There are few points as I can see.

First thing is that I am sure you are also aware that the amount of people who genuinely believe everything around them is based on nutty conspiracy theories has exploded in the last decade. And this UFO thing is one of the oldest of our age. By its scope, it is one of the main conspiracy theories which people tie every other bullshit possible. 

Social media is still new. Most people still don't get the power and consequences of an internet mass media. As generations grow into it, 'living out of reality' keeps gaining new heights. The reason for the rise in paranoia, rage, violence, conspiracy theory nuttiness...all that madness is a some sort of a reaction to the unlimited, uncontrolled material being thrown at people left and right. And people increasingly spend time indoors. They increasingly cut ties with people, have less organic relationships, less sex...etc.

Social media offers an anonymous place where people can find likely minded people without any extra effort, confrontation, risk about anything we can think of. So there is also a rise in the marginal trends. It's not even about what the conspiracy, the myths...etc. It's about being a part of a group that makes people feel like they are doing something extraordinary. Well, they do belong to a group of course but the rest is a delusion, a desire human species have had since its existence.     

You all know about these. Long story short, it is inevitable that there will be times that -I don't know how to put it- this freaky bulk will explode here and there on ocassion.

By the Western constutional tradition, I meant that Western people are more likely to challange authority to have information of any kind. Going against what is porhibited openly. However, suely you know that that is changed, you would find a very different US, if you could travel 25 years ago back in time in your country. And a lot of people remember that US or talk about it. Most of the people are not happy with their country today.

In an atmosphere like this, perhaps the zeitgeist in general, most people -esp. young ones- do not channel their concern, anger, energy, time into real issues. First thing is, because they can't. So humans, being humans they channel everything to this kind of bullshit, for the very reason that it is not real; has no real connection with problems and issues that is thrown in their face every day. It's virtually 'safe'.

That is the new world for you. Of course there is nothing new about it. Just the delusional opportunity of feeling of being a part of something bigger and different than every thing they 'know' and 'see'; the feeling of uncovering something secret and being able to do it online, annonymously.

My concern is that at some point, it will be not enough for people. It's human nature. Also there is nothing more left to do. 

That's why these events, groups have the possibility of creating real danger, esp. the UFO bullshit; other worlds, other species, 'real' alien tech related ones. Because everybody from these groups is living in some sort of a disutopia, real or imaginary. It's like a hope of high tech, 'salvation' free from the usual, traditional religious bullshit, if you will. It embraces everything and it is very powerful. Some sort of belief.   

Anyway, that's my rambling about it. Let's hope nothing serious will happen.

About the army-civillian confrontation in the US. Yes you are right, it is bad. While it is similar in most countries, the term 'civillian' is a bit different in the US, at least the understanding of it. It's not just most people are armed in the US, Hydra. American culture is a highly militarised, weaponised -I don't know what to call it- culture in every sense. US federal government will never let go off an exact-total power on its people in any incident, because every gun argument is aside, they CAN'T afford it. 

And they won't choose or judge most events on case by case or give a reaction according to it. They will exercise force and crack down as much as possible. There is a reason why this confrontations have escalated in the last era. More people, more guns compared to a few decades before. When there is more people and more guns in the future, Active Denial Systems won't be enough.

At some point US will need constant Marshall Law. Can you imagine a billion people living in the US and most of them armed? Well, it wouldn't take a billion to go there, but certainly it's bad enough now.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Yep, that's what we hope.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 17, 2019, 10:33:39 AM
Yep, that's we hope.

We need periodic confrontations between the public and the government, so people realize they are ruled, not led.  This hasn't worked too well with conservatives in some cases.  But more recently, the human sacrifice of one conservative over the Oregon national forest office occupation a few years ago, draws a line in the sand.  Perhaps the human sacrifice of one liberal (antiFA) recently will satisfy the chthonic gods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Malheur_National_Wildlife_Refuge

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tacoma-ice-police-shooting-washington-willem-van-spronsen-antifa-detention-centre-a9004131.html

The antiFa guy was probably an ideological excuse for "death by cop" which happens with depressed people who despise authority.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

How about drones spraying ricin on the mob?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 17, 2019, 04:49:33 AM
"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us." - Winston Churchill
Wasn't that from A Few Good Men???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on July 17, 2019, 01:52:11 AM
I would defend the military for doing so.  And I have never been a Republican.  Going on a military reservation, without permission, is a bad idea.  One evening, I made a wrong turn, my parents were my passengers.  In San Diego.  I ended up at the attack nuclear submarine base.  The young Marine in full battle gear, protecting our nuclear weapons that night, was very nice, when I very politely asked him if it was OK, since I had made a wrong turn, to find some way to reverse direction (the road hadn't permitted an easy turn around before that point).  I didn't fancy us being riddled with M16 bullets.

It's a bad idea to poke a wild lion with a stick, but the military isn't a wild animal. While it may be stupid to try invading a military base, that doesn't remove the military's responsibility to respect human life. To use lethal weapons on unarmed citizens would be a crime, no matter the circumstances.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 17, 2019, 11:02:17 AM
How about drones spraying ricin on the mob?

Environmentalists would riot (for the animals).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 17, 2019, 11:26:10 AM
Wasn't that from A Few Good Men???

It may have been quoted there.  That was a good movie.

Don't make me post the President Reagan video on patriotism!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 17, 2019, 12:07:03 PM
It's a bad idea to poke a wild lion with a stick, but the military isn't a wild animal. While it may be stupid to try invading a military base, that doesn't remove the military's responsibility to respect human life. To use lethal weapons on unarmed citizens would be a crime, no matter the circumstances.

You have watched the movie, Hair, one too many times.  Under standing orders, I would be afraid for your rights in the hand of an armed 19 year old.  Trying to file a lawsuit after you are dead, is rather bad strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNrqc6yvTU

That was fantasy, and with draftees.  People in the military now, want to be there.

There is the UCMJ ... but there is the matter of interpretation in a military court, not at Night Court.  Unarmed people get shot by the cops all the time and are not often charged.  All the cop has to do is feel threatened, you don't have to actually threaten them.

Police are, or should be, trained to minimize the use of force.  Military people are trained the exact opposite.  While I was still working, I had to consider, if on duty, if we were attacked by a Left or Right mob, and it became necessary to pick up a gun from a downed coworker, could I shoot my fellow psychopaths ;-(

Of course I would be happy if all the Leftists did this, because while tragic, it would solve division in my country ;-)  Also, remember that many ex-police are ex-military, with PTSD.  And now we are handing them military weapons.  So I don't fancy your chances with regular police either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"At some point US will need constant Marshall Law. Can you imagine a billion people living in the US and most of them armed? Well, it wouldn't take a billion to go there, but certainly it's bad enough now." ... we have been under soft martial law since 9/11.  We never reverted to a "peace" posture for some strange reason.  How do I know this?  The standard readiness level has been elevated for 18 years now.  On 9/11 we were under lockdown, and escalated to nuclear release readiness, for that day only.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.