News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 09, 2018, 12:42:52 AM
Every football fan ive ever met were not only fucking weird for being in to screaming like a mongoloid at the opposing team but also because they were arrogantly stupid and annoying.
I am not the only person with this experience.
They are weird, annoying, and stupid. A trifecta of nope for me.

Guess I should generalize all football fans then.

Maybe I should extend that to all American liberals saying their all sjw screechers because I saw a few people online doing it.

And all black people are low life street things with no education.

Here's the thing, you want the freedom to criticise anyone, that's fine. But if you think that extends into generalisation of people, thats not fine, that's just being shallow.

But you gotta accept that, since you know, my freedom to criticise others.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on November 09, 2018, 04:37:55 AM
Guess I should generalize all football fans then.

Maybe I should extend that to all American liberals saying their all sjw screechers because I saw a few people online doing it.

And all black people are low life street things with no education.

Here's the thing, you want the freedom to criticise anyone, that's fine. But if you think that extends into generalisation of people, thats not fine, that's just being shallow.

But you gotta accept that, since you know, my freedom to criticise others.
I actually dislike football and find football fans and sports fans in general weird. Kind of how I find nationalism weird.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 09, 2018, 09:56:30 AM
I actually dislike football and find football fans and sports fans in general weird. Kind of how I find nationalism weird.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with nationalism or being proud of your countries achievements.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Nah, funny pictures just look like ideologically driven discussions nowadays.
Keep up with the latest trends, Gawdzilla.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 10, 2018, 05:46:33 AM

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/11/7/1810497/-Cartoon-Live-from-the-caravan-with-ISIS

Last 3 years this forum is politics all the time, here is to two more years of it ;-)

Matt Bors is a Lefty ... so most of you should enjoy this, if you don't already follow him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on November 10, 2018, 05:19:15 AM
There is nothing wrong with nationalism or being proud of your countries achievements.

You can't choose your birth place. Being proud of something completely random is not just weird, also idiotic, bluntly put. Because it is not something people work for or do something to deserve. Completely random. It is not even something in the category of wrong or right. Don't confuse loving the place you were born or live in with nationalism.

Life experience points that people who are 'proud' of their nationality are usually the people who don't have something of their own to be proud of. And interestingly enough, they don't neccessarily love the place they live either. Quite often you'll find that nationalists are nationalists because they have some sort of a problem with the place they were born and the people in it. Anyone who is content; happy with the place they live would have a less tendency to identify themselves as nationalist.   

There are people who love the country they live in, work for it, fight for it, but not born in there. Mostly, they are not nationalists. Nationalists are almost always 'I was born here' kind of types. And they are a type.     

Pretty much like religion. Have you ever met someone who's converted to another religion? I have. They are very different than others who didn't choose it or pushed into it. It's unaviodable.     

Is that all a series of generalisations? Yes it is. Everything we talk and write about is based on generalisations we make from our experiences. People are not that complicated. Choices are not that many.

I live in a football country and whenever I meet a football fan, I know the type. Yeah he might be different, but 9o% of the time he is not. I'd prefer an anime fan personally.

And in the country you live in, a short time ago in human life, holiganism was a huge problem. They managed to tame it. Now, it is not. But the thing is football fanatism is always a problem in the world. Because it mostly includes the type of people who wold use violence over a sports game and kill each other. And they are fans, not a special group. Also there are people who peacefully watch the games. But we don't know much about their type, do we?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 10, 2018, 05:46:33 AM
I tend to trend to the other end.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 10, 2018, 06:32:57 AM
You can't choose your birth place. Being proud of something completely random is not just weird, also idiotic, bluntly put. Because it is not something people work for or do something to deserve. Completely random. It is not even something in the category of wrong or right. Don't confuse loving the place you were born or live in with nationalism.

Life experience points that people who are 'proud' of their nationality are usually the people who don't have something of their own to be proud of. And interestingly enough, they don't neccessarily love the place they live either. Quite often you'll find that nationalists are nationalists because they have some sort of a problem with the place they were born and the people in it. Anyone who is content; happy with the place they live would have a less tendency to identify themselves as nationalist.   

There are people who love the country they live in, work for it, fight for it, but not born in there. Mostly, they are not nationalists. Nationalists are almost always 'I was born here' kind of types. And they are a type.     

Pretty much like religion. Have you ever met someone who's converted to another religion? I have. They are very different than others who didn't choose it or pushed into it. It's unaviodable.     

Is that all a series of generalisations? Yes it is. Everything we talk and write about is based on generalisations we make from our experiences. People are not that complicated. Choices are not that many.

I live in a football country and whenever I meet a football fan, I know the type. Yeah he might be different, but 9o% of the time he is not. I'd prefer an anime fan personally.

And in the country you live in, a short time ago in human life, holiganism was a huge problem. They managed to tame it. Now, it is not. But the thing is football fanatism is always a problem in the world. Because it mostly includes the type of people who wold use violence over a sports game and kill each other. And they are fans, not a special group. Also there are people who peacefully watch the games. But we don't know much about their type, do we?

You can't choose your skin tone either, but your not making the same argument for black pride are you?

And its not the same as religion, because while religion is based on made up hokum, being proud of your counties achievements are physical and real achievements.

I'm a gay diabetic athiest, in my country I get a free health service so I don't die from my condition, I can choose to not believe in any religion without repercussion, and I live in a country that now makes it so I don't get stoned to death for loving someone of the same gender, with the option to marry, adopt or give blood, all things my country advanced to. Thats something worth being proud of.

I'm also the grandson of a war hero who fought against actual nazis (not pseudo-nazis people claim today) and have a very good reason to be proud of not just him but those who fought against that kind of oppression.

If we want to claim though nationalism is like religion, well then so are certain political ideologies that on both side of the spectrum give into blind fanaticism for their cause. It isn't just the opposing side you route for in that regard.

Sorry drunkenshoe, I like you, but not gonna be able to agree with you on this. I have every reason to be proud of where I come from. I'm not blind to its flaws and faults or past and today, but I've more reason to be proud of the good that my country has in it, then being anti-nationalist who hates their own country, even though said people will gladly use all the freedoms their countries given them to express how much they hate it.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on November 10, 2018, 08:12:23 AM
You can't choose your skin tone either, but your not making the same argument for black pride are you?

Why didn't you say gay pride instead of black? It would be the obvious one to go. You can't choose being gay either. They are same things to me. Do you recognise one but not other. That would be hypocritical though.

People invented gay or black pride to go against very real circumstances they were born into. The fact that you were born in a time and place -something random- where/when being gay is accepted as water and that may be even it sounds silly to you now, doesn't change the fact that those 'made up notions' helped gay and black people a lot. So, yes it is real. You are a part of it.

QuoteAnd its not the same as religion, because while religion is based on made up hokum, being proud of your counties achievements are physical and real achievements.

It is again random. The time and the place you were born. If you were born around the beginning of the century (20th) it wouldn't be this.

So when we say 'birth is a random event' it is also about the time. Cannot be seperated. It's just circumstances that has nothing to do with you, what you do or accomplish. But politics, economy, power.

Nationalism is the same thing as religion. Actually, Nationalism is not something existed 200 years ago. We look back and call what is there nationalism, but it is not. It's the religion of the modern state, the religion modern state created. Along with national language and army. All relatively new concepts. 

QuoteI'm a gay diabetic athiest, in my country I get a free health service so I don't die from my condition, I can choose to not believe in any religion without repercussion, and I live in a country that now makes it so I don't get stoned to death for loving someone of the same gender, with the option to marry, adopt or give blood, all things my country advanced to. Thats something worth being proud of.

You made it a bit dramatic, but then see, here is where our way of thinking differs. Yours is like a placebo to feel good? It's like people sending negative/positive energy to the universe and feeling good. Things do not happen or made for the good of the people. Or so people wold be fine.

The reason Western cultures started to recgonise the gay rights some time ago and worked to make life easy for these group of people, because the time has come for that society to get various benefits from it. Life quality which directly affects the society, work force, identity politics...vote, money, economy...culture. Culture can be transformed into politics and economy. It's done for the order, to get bigger. And yes it is very important. And I get that you are proud of the achievement. I am talking about the reasons.       

QuoteI'm also the grandson of a war hero who fought against actual nazis (not pseudo-nazis people claim today) and have a very good reason to be proud of not just him but those who fought against that kind of oppression.

But the thing is he didn't have much choice, did he? He was born there at that time. He didn't have a choice to say, 'hey this is fucking stupid, fuck you.' My mind doesn't work that way, I can't go on and say 'hey they did it, so we could have a choice'. It's romantic bullshit. 10s of millions of people up there in Europe, down here in Anatolia. This war, that war. Anyone who was born at the beginning of the century didn't have a life. For what?

QuoteIf we want to claim though nationalism is like religion, well then so are certain political ideologies that on both side of the spectrum give into blind fanaticism for their cause. It isn't just the opposing side you route for in that regard.

Doesn't matter what I route for personally. Countries are not directed by ideologies. Those are play pretend toys for masses. Props.

QuoteSorry drunkenshoe, I like you, but not gonna be able to agree with you on this. I have every reason to be proud of where I come from. I'm not blind to its flaws and faults or past and today, but I've more reason to be proud of the good that my country has in it, then being anti-nationalist who hates their own country, even though said people will gladly use all the freedoms their countries given them to express how much they hate it.

Lol you don't have to like me or be sorry about anything. Esp. when you say it that way it is so obvious you don't which is perfectly OK.

We don't have to agree on anything either, sweety. You just sound naive to me that's it. And I am saying, have a look from this angle.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Drunkenshoe ... you are educated, multilingual internationalist.  You aren't the average human being.  Your minority type (such people will always be a small minority) are more interesting people of course.  And you are sometimes more articulate than some who post here (hence more interesting to read).

But in GB (at least England) and in the US, we have turned against internationalism ... for whatever real reason, probably emotional.  It could have been people who prefer "white" chocolate as being the 5th columnists, the target of suspicion.  As it is, looks like the US, Canada and the UK will break up.  Anglophone hegemony couldn't last forever.  Nothing does.  I hope you enjoy Russian or Chinese occupation.  I happen to like Russians and Chinese, being open minded about non-Americans.  Americans I am very closed minded about (damn 5th columnists who prefer "white" chocolate!).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on November 10, 2018, 01:18:11 PM
Drunkenshoe ... you are educated, multilingual internationalist.  You aren't the average human being.  Your minority type (such people will always be a small minority) are more interesting people of course.  And you are sometimes more articulate than some who post here (hence more interesting to read).

But in GB (at least England) and in the US, we have turned against internationalism ... for whatever real reason, probably emotional.  It could have been people who prefer "white" chocolate as being the 5th columnists, the target of suspicion.  As it is, looks like the US, Canada and the UK will break up.  Anglophone hegemony couldn't last forever.  Nothing does.  I hope you enjoy Russian or Chinese occupation.  I happen to like Russians and Chinese, being open minded about non-Americans.  Americans I am very closed minded about (damn 5th columnists who prefer "white" chocolate!).

Thanks, Baruch. But if America wants to finish 21st century as a super power it has to do it in new terms and it won't hang on anything emotional as you put it. Or ideologies or whatever. It will shred the old. It won't give up. Trust me, it never does. Between us, that's why we trust it, lol.

The US needs to engineer a new society. Not for the good of the people or democracy, so it would stay in business. There is nothing left to sell. US has to end its dependence on carbon based energy. Renew its infrastructure. It's a very long way to go, has to start as soon as possible. That would change the world economy as we know it and open a stage for a new technology age. New ways of consumption. New identity politics. New ways of life.

Do you really think the coming generations give the slightest damn about internationalism or any ideology old generations get emotional over? That's our world.   

the_antithesis

I am so fucking proud of this patch of dirt I happen to be standing on!