News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 09:24:47 AM
Oh "Spacey", duh!  He's been in the news.  Ass...  I knew it wasn't Kevin Bacon!
No, that wasn't a picture of Kevin Bacon.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2017, 10:32:53 AM
No, that wasn't a picture of Kevin Bacon.

I meant Spacey was an "ass", not you.  When I get annoyed, pronouns tend to fall to the curb. and I think everyone knows what I mean  LOL! 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 10:38:23 AM
I meant Spacey was an "ass", not you.  When I get annoyed, pronouns tend to fall to the curb. and I think everyone knows what I mean  LOL! 
I have a problem with "n't". I forget it. This results in sentences like "The US military is a bunch of drunks with guns." Partially true, but no germane to that conversation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2017, 11:59:45 AM
I have a problem with "n't". I forget it. This results in sentences like "The US military is a bunch of drunks with guns." Partially true, but no germane to that conversation.

You mean, it's not just me?  Thank you...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 12:04:54 PM
You mean, it's not just me?  Thank you...
I learned the term for that glitch when I was working on my Psych degree, but that's all Pacific under the bridge now.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2017, 12:12:08 PM
I learned the term for that glitch when I was working on my Psych degree, but that's all Pacific under the bridge now.

When I was a sophomore in college, my roommate (who had switched from nuclear physics to abnormal psychology)  said I would be a great abnormal psychologist myself.  I took his tests after the fact and he thought I was good at it.  When *I* switched from mechanical engineering to Govt and politiics, he said it was the same thing.  So long as I didn't actually engage in politics, (then I would just be a subject of study). 

I didn't, so I'm not.  But Baruch is,  LOL!

Gawdzilla Sama

I took the courses I was interested in at Purdue, and eventually they forced me to take BAs in Soc and Psych. I was looking at the topics because I wanted to better understand decision-making in war time. They helped me get my Masters in History.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2017, 12:33:08 PM
I took the courses I was interested in at Purdue, and eventually they forced me to take BAs in Soc and Psych. I was looking at the topics because I wanted to better understand decision-making in war time. They helped me get my Masters in History.

I BS minored in history, mostly Europe pre-WWI and US pre-civil war to understand the psychology of pre-war politics and thought.  It's depressing.  We aren't there again yet, but I see it coming.

Image a world where Gore won in 200, Obama in 2008 and Clinton in 2016...  It would be saner and we would be 30 years advanced...

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 12:44:17 PM
Image a world where Gore won in 200, Obama in 2008 and Clinton in 2016...  It would be saner and we would be 30 years advanced...
I remain unconvinced that Gore didn't win in 2000, but the SCotUS short-circuited the recount because it would "harm" Dumbass.  Apparently the harm to Gore of stopping it, or the harm to the rest of the country from the cloud it put over our electoral process, didn't count.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 15, 2017, 12:55:43 PM
I remain unconvinced that Gore didn't win in 2000, but the SCotUS short-circuited the recount because it would "harm" Dumbass.  Apparently the harm to Gore of stopping it, or the harm to the rest of the country from the cloud it put over our electoral process, didn't count.

Well, yes, I think Gore actually won.  It sickens me to say that SCOTUS made a decision and we had to live with it.   But I also recognize that had SCOTUS decided for Gore, others would would feel equally that the system cheated them. 

But ALSO equally, the US and the world would have been better off with Gore.  If the SCOTUS decision was close and thoughtful (which I doubt), it was still a bad decision. 

WE THE PEOPLE keep trying to make good Presidential choices (Gore, Obama, Clinton), and we keep getting thwarted. 

The Gerrymandering has to stop.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 12:44:17 PM
I BS minored in history, mostly Europe pre-WWI and US pre-civil war to understand the psychology of pre-war politics and thought.  It's depressing.  We aren't there again yet, but I see it coming.

I did a study on the West African Squadron, mission was to interdict slavers. I found that Northern-born and Southern-born ship's captains had nearly identical "kill" rates, capturing about equal numbers of slavers. The interesting bit was that the "border state" captains had about 50% few captures.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2017, 01:20:43 PM
I did a study on the West African Squadron, mission was to interdict slavers. I found that Northern-born and Southern-born ship's captains had nearly identical "kill" rates, capturing about equal numbers of slavers. The interesting bit was that the "border state" captains had about 50% few captures.

You were lucky.  My political case studies were all about WWII and that was always just obvious and horrible.  The one from Korea was about the table at the negotiations, which made me want to scream.  Vietnam was too current for us to use.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on November 15, 2017, 12:55:43 PM
Thankfully, we've never had another election where the candidate with the popular vote lost, so it turned out to just be a one-off problem.  /sarcasm

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 15, 2017, 01:39:14 PM
Thankfully, we've never had another election where the candidate with the popular vote lost, so it turned out to just be a one-off problem.  /sarcasm

Gpod sarc.   5.  Andrew Jackson, Samuel Tilden, Benjamin Harrison, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton...