Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 07:20:19 AM
You don't understand averages?

BTW, 90% of the people shot by police are white. You shouldn't let the internet lead you around by the nose.

I understand a 1/110,000,000 chance.

Source for the 90% claim?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 07:55:07 AM
Do you bookmark everything you read?

Of course not.  But basic facts are easy to find...

I'm just asking that you suggest a good source for your statement about "90% of the people shot by police are white".

"According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white."

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 08:11:51 AM
I said shot, you said killed.

You are quite correct.  I assumed "shot" in the lethal meaning.  I can't find a "wounded but not killed" reference.  I expect, from your objection, you have one?  I would love to see the difference.

It suggests police wound a whole lot more white people than black people.  Is that deliberate?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 08:07:12 AM
Of course not.  But basic facts are easy to find...

I'm just asking that you suggest a good source for your statement about "90% of the people shot by police are white".

"According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white."
318 blacks out of a total US population of >330,000,000. Is this holocaust range or not? If you read the internet the cops are machinegunning school buses full of black kids in every city in the US on a daily basis.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 08:17:16 AM
You are quite correct.  I assumed "shot" in the lethal meaning.  I can't find a "wounded but not killed" reference.  I expect, from your objection, you have one?  I would love to see the difference.

It suggests police wound a whole lot more white people than black people.  Is that deliberate?
There are more white people than black.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 08:19:35 AM
There are more white people than black.

Um, yes, I noticed that.  And given that, it seems more black people are killed by police than white people by percentage.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 08:41:04 AM
Um, yes, I noticed that.  And given that, it seems more black people are killed by police than white people by percentage.
And I'd blame society rather than the cops.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 09:54:54 AM
And I'd blame society rather than the cops.

That raises an interesting question.  Are we not ultimately the choosers of the cops? 

Or as Pogo said "We have met the enemy and it is us".

The solution lies at our doorstep.  We accept the police we choose, but we maybe could choose better.

I had a college dorm mate.  Not my room, but my floor.  And he was a complete nutso.  He went on to become a State cop...  Who chose him?  Not me.  But he was selected by previous State cops as "one of their own".

Keep in mind that this guy once had a friend drive him around the dorm area standing on the back of a VW bug, stark naked except for a billowing cape and a flaming broom...  And that was just one bizarre event

And he became a policeman...

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 10:44:08 AM
Seriously? I skipped soph philosophy.

He probably did too.  But it may have been the look in his eyes.  Wide all the time.  He was never normal from the start.

Gawdzilla Sama

If we do pick our cops some people are picking jerks if the Internet is any indication. If I was considering a LEO career and read what some folks say about them I'd look elsewhere.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 11:00:39 AM
If we do pick our cops some people are picking jerks if the Internet is any indication. If I was considering a LEO career and read what some folks say about them I'd look elsewhere.

They pick each other like them.  You get one of the loonies in there and that person makes sure all the ones who come after is like them.  BTW, that's my personal theory of office management too.  Like calls to like.  One nut gets in and everyone after is just like him/her...

Rotten apple in the barrel.

Gawdzilla Sama

Yep, the sweeping generalizations win again.
PZ Myers