My faith in humanity has been decreased...

Started by TheDevoutPasta, February 22, 2013, 12:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDevoutPasta

So every week i am forced to go to a confirmation class, last weekend we had the 2 day retreat... Most people their had a good time crying during adoration but i met another atheist and we chilled and laughed at all the asshat things people were doing. So this week at class we went over moral issues. I used to think that while these people were religious, most of them were pretty tolerant/reasonable/smart/have a fucking clue. I was wrong...

1) I learned that everyone in my class (cept the other atheist for these) is anti-abortion (no surprise really)
2) i learned that they think a fetus is a person around 18 days when its heart begins
 to beat (never heard this before)
3) I learned that they think a pregnant mother with a life threatening complication should die for the baby (what the fuck...)
4) I learned that they think it's a woman's fault for getting raped. (again, what the fuck?)
5) I learned that they think if a woman's rapist gets her pregnant, she will go to hell if she gets an abortion. (in other words a rape victim is forced to have the kid, what the absolute fuck, this surprised me the most as their are girls in the class)
6) I learned that they think war is immoral unless it is a holy war (what... the... fuck...)
7) They think capital punishment is against the bible. (Deuteronomy 25 anyone?)
8) they think a person in extreme agony with less than a week to live does not have right to die because they should pray to live. (why the fuck do i even try?)
9) the list goes on, but this is just off the top of my head. Seriously, I thought these people were at the very least modern
Oh yea, and they think the solution to homosexuality is to have gays become priests. FUCKING BRILLIANT!!!
"The criticism of the atrocities inherent to religion is an undeniable prerequisite of societal progress."

Farroc

I'd make a scene! [-X  =D>  :rollin:  :x  [-(
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

NeoLogic26

I've been where you are. Confirmation was no fun for me either. Take solace in the fact that you are objectively better than they are, your worldview is more coherent and internally consistent (this is a big one) and you're probably smarter. If I could have had a like-minded friend during confirmation, that would have made things much easier.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

AllPurposeAtheist

So make sure you think they're full of shit.. nothing says you're full of shit like someone making it crystal clear.. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

NitzWalsh

Why are you forced to go to this class?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "TheDevoutPasta"4) I learned that they think it's a woman's fault for getting raped. (again, what the fuck?)

Yeah...... um.......No.  As in: FUCK NO.
That's so fucking wrong it's not funny.

No.

They don't know what rape fucking is.  OH............  oh the pain that stupid causes.

You should get AWAY from these people as soon as you possibly can.  Never look back.  Find a new place and way to live.  Go........have a good life elsewhere.  The world is full of wonderful things and wonderful people and your life is your own.  Get away from this sort of stupid thinking and the actions that kind of thinking brings about.
I swear that's the ONLY way to kill this sort of thing off.  Leave them totally alone to feed off eachother and die out.

FCUK
That's some stupid shit.

(sorry - sort of things TOTALLY pisses me off.  Damn)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

BarkAtTheMoon

Confirmation classes weren't that bad when I did it, of course I wasn't exactly atheist way back then. We were somewhere around 6th grade. It was all my friends going through it and our church's regular minister running it who was pretty cool. Episcopal church was pretty liberal back then so there wasn't anything real crazy. Had to do stuff like memorize the books of the Bible. I did stump him a bit when I asked why they call Good Friday "good" when it's supposed to be the day Jesus died. He didn't really have a good answer to that.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

ApostateLois

Quote3) I learned that they think a pregnant mother with a life threatening complication should die for the baby (what the fuck...)

This goes against everything we know from nature. If the mother lives, she can always have more babies, but if the baby lives, it won't have anyone to take care of it--or, in the case of humans,  it usually ends up in the foster care system or an orphanage (depending on what country we're talking about), and may or may not get adopted. But I guess a child who goes through a multitude of foster homes before being kicked out to fend for him/herself (which happens often in the States), is more pleasing to God than a baby who simply dies before birth and doesn't have to go through all that shit....or a baby who is born with deformities that result in death shortly afterwards, or a lifetime of physical and mental problems...or a baby who is abused because the mother simply doesn't want him but can't or won't give him up for adoption to someone who does.  Anything is better than abortion, according to the Christian nutters.

Quote4) I learned that they think it's a woman's fault for getting raped. (again, what the fuck?)

This just makes me want to punch every one of them repeatedly in the face until their bones splinter and they need cosmetic surgery. When they ask why I did it, I'll say it's their own fault for getting beaten to a pulp. If they weren't so stupid, I wouldn't be forced to break their faces. Why do you associate with these wastes of carbon atoms?
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

GurrenLagann

Jeez, that's as bad/worse than some of the yahoos I've seen an spoken to. :/ At least you've another atheist there so you're head might not explode....
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Worldshatter

Error 404 Logic not found.

I think the truly terrible part of all of this is that these people truly believe and are being taught these things.... hell at a time I used to believe them myself. It's horrible that your being forced to attend these confirmation classes and I imagine any attempt at speaking out against their morals would be similar to waving an American flag around the streets of Afghanistan.... the points they make go from immoral to downright stupid ( point 4 comes to mind ) but it seems you don't have a say in the matter so grinning and bearing it seems like a good idea for now so they don't burn you :). At least you have another heretic in there with you so you don't go ( completely ) insane from it.
I used to look around at the wonders of nature and go "Wow.. there must be a god" now I look at the horrors of people and go "Wow.. there must be no god"

StupidWiz

Quote from: "TheDevoutPasta"Oh yea, and they think the solution to homosexuality is to have gays become priests. FUCKING BRILLIANT!!!
Wut? No thanks.  [-(
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

aitm

bleach and ammonia............jes sayin
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

BlackL1ght

How did you find another atheist there? You can't exactly broadcast that about yourself there, right?
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

widdershins

Okay, you admitted it!  You have faith, therefore God!  No backsies!!!
This sentence is a lie...

Phantom

Quote from: "TheDevoutPasta"So every week i am forced to go to a confirmation class, last weekend we had the 2 day retreat... Most people their had a good time crying during adoration but i met another atheist and we chilled and laughed at all the asshat things people were doing. So this week at class we went over moral issues. I used to think that while these people were religious, most of them were pretty tolerant/reasonable/smart/have a fucking clue. I was wrong...

1) I learned that everyone in my class (cept the other atheist for these) is anti-abortion (no surprise really)
2) i learned that they think a fetus is a person around 18 days when its heart begins
 to beat (never heard this before)
3) I learned that they think a pregnant mother with a life threatening complication should die for the baby (what the fuck...)
4) I learned that they think it's a woman's fault for getting raped. (again, what the fuck?)
5) I learned that they think if a woman's rapist gets her pregnant, she will go to hell if she gets an abortion. (in other words a rape victim is forced to have the kid, what the absolute fuck, this surprised me the most as their are girls in the class)
6) I learned that they think war is immoral unless it is a holy war (what... the... fuck...)
7) They think capital punishment is against the bible. (Deuteronomy 25 anyone?)
8) they think a person in extreme agony with less than a week to live does not have right to die because they should pray to live. (why the fuck do i even try?)
9) the list goes on, but this is just off the top of my head. Seriously, I thought these people were at the very least modern
Oh yea, and they think the solution to homosexuality is to have gays become priests. FUCKING BRILLIANT!!!

It's shit like this is why I prefer not to wake up in the morning. I'd just rather live in my little dream world.
5-6 are by far(In my opinion) the most fucked up, downright stupidest shit I've seen. A woman get's raped, and it's her fault??! The hell man? This is one of the many reasons why I do not follow a religion.
I can't read on, if I do, I may end up smoking again!