News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Demons

Started by Contemporary Protestant, July 26, 2014, 01:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on July 26, 2014, 01:06:32 PM
Growing up in a more moderate-liberal background, I am unfamiliar with doctrine or dogma on this subject. Would anyone be willing to share what they were told as kids/young adults?

I was always told I was an adopted alien demon. True story.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Munch

Quote from: LazyLotusEater on August 08, 2014, 10:11:35 AM
As a kid I once got sleep paralysis and my sister told me that I was probably being raped by an incubus demon. She made me cry and I actually believed her at the time. My sister is very superstitious , anyway that's one folkloric demon story.
Here's a pastor casting out demons (paid actor?) : http://youtu.be/8RuCLB6vM3M
                                                                                 http://youtu.be/OmP_AKDHPKE
                                                                                 http://youtu.be/QiJtio9n4Lc

Dunno about you, but if I had this floating over me at night:

Well, I'd not say no thats for sure.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Thackerie

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on July 26, 2014, 08:56:55 PM
Excuse me?

I have already talked ad nauseum about how I read scripture, just because I don't live according to the Old Testament because I am not jewish. I live according to Jesus' philosophy ...

It seems to me that anyone who tried to live according to Jesus's philosophy WOULD be Jewish, like he was. He never tried to end Judaism but only to reform it.

As he supposedly said (Matthew 15:24), "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

And, he followed Jewish practice, including celebrating Passover, right up to the end.

Solitary

So CP I guess the Old Testament is not Gods Word, and the New one is. How convenient!  :fU: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Quote from: Solitary on August 08, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
So CP I guess the Old Testament is not Gods Word, and the New one is. How convenient!  :fU: Solitary

oh no see gods words can be edited anytime. When he told Abraham to kill his own son, he was about to do it, when god sent an angel to tell Abraham to not do it. Apparently its okay to fuck with an senile old man like that if god does it.
And yeah, it would have senile for a looong time since he died when he was 175 years old.. who knew you could live that long.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

The theists here can seem to set you dumb atheists straight, so I have to. A day back then was judged by the rotation of Kolob where God lives, and a year was by how long it took to go around its sun.  :whistle:  :biggrin: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ApostateLois

As a Christian, I was taught that demons were the fallen angels who rebelled against God and were cast out of heaven to Earth. Now they roam around, looking for weak, doubting Christians whom they can trick into not believing in God, or going to the wrong church, or masturbating, or any other sin you can think of. They also convince people that evolution is real and there's no such thing as heaven or hell. Exactly HOW they do all this is never explained, nor is it explained why God had to cast the demons to Earth instead of to some other planet or galaxy where they couldn't hurt humans.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Hydra009

As a teenager, I somehow picked up the idea of daemons in the classical sense -  supernatural beings that could aid or harm and were a mix of good and bad, not unlike people.  The Christian depiction didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.  It was very interesting to how the idea morphed over time - which further cemented the idea that religion is a syncretic and ever-evolving construct not unlike a fictional universe.