Obamacare, Big Failure, Right?

Started by Solitary, July 24, 2014, 12:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

http://news.msn.com/us/over-10-million-us-adults-gain-coverage-under-obamacare-study

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An estimated 10.3 million American adults have gained health coverage since Obamacare enrollment began last October, with the biggest gains among young adults and Hispanics, according to a study published on Wednesday.

The findings by researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health, Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and the federal government are based on data pointing to a 5.2 percentage point drop in the U.S. uninsured rate since last September for Americans aged 18-64.

The study, which appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine, also found evidence that more Americans had a personal doctor and fewer difficulties paying for medical care within the first six months of gaining insurance.

The law known as Obamacare, President Barack Obama's signature domestic policy achievement, provides federally subsidized private coverage through new online insurance marketplaces and an expansion of Medicaid in 26 states and Washington, D.C.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said in May that more than 8 million Americans signed up for private plans through new online insurance marketplaces during a six-month open enrollment period. Official data show another 7 million people gaining coverage under Medicaid, but the data includes renewals in existing Medicaid programs as well as new enrollments.

Wednesday's study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, compared national survey results with Census data as well as government figures on marketplace enrollment in private insurance and Medicaid.

The authors said their data was not complete enough to show a causal relationship between Obama's Affordable Care Act and the uninsured rate. Instead, they said the findings identified "suggestive associations."

The data did not include an estimated 3 million young adults estimated to have gained coverage by joining their parents' insurance policies under Obamacare.

(Reporting by David Morgan; Editing by Ken Wills)
How do you like that bigots? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Draconic Aiur

OUR GOVENOR IS THE BIGGEST BIGOT EVER! FUCK YOU RICK PERRY!

Hijiri Byakuren

And how has the quality of healthcare and insurance held up in all of this? Also, has this taken into account the businesses that no longer offer health insurance to their workers as a result of the increased costs associated with this law? By which I mean, is this increase in Americans signing up for insurance actually a net gain in insured Americans?

You see, those are the questions I actually give a shit about, because several of them have come uncomfortably close to affecting my living situation more than once.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Nam

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 24, 2014, 12:48:28 AM
OUR GOVENOR IS THE BIGGEST BIGOT EVER! FUCK YOU RICK PERRY!

Are you sure? He's short.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Shiranu

Obamacare has hurt me more than it has helped, so no I am not a big fan of it. Forcing me to pay fines because I am not buying something I cant afford isn't particularly all that awesome.

And all it is is a step in the wrong direction; it brings us no closer to universal health care like the rest of the developed world uses and is just a band-aide fix to try to stop the bleeding of a terribly flawed system.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nam

Quote from: Shiranu on July 24, 2014, 03:38:27 AM
Obamacare has hurt me more than it has helped, so no I am not a big fan of it. Forcing me to pay fines because I am not buying something I cant afford isn't particularly all that awesome.

Did they force you to pay fine?

QuoteAnd all it is is a step in the wrong direction; it brings us no closer to universal health care like the rest of the developed world uses and is just a band-aide fix to try to stop the bleeding of a terribly flawed system.

The Republican party soon will be dead and single payer will soon be here. (Soon is like 20 years or so)

-Nam

Shiranu

QuoteDid they force you to pay fine?

From the official Obama-care website...

QuoteThe penalty will be applied to your year-end federal modified adjusted gross income for each month you don't have health insurance or an exemption.

To avoid the penalty you needed coverage that started by May 1st, 2014. If you missed the deadline you'll have to wait until the marketplace opens again on November 15th, 2014 to get marketplace coverage unless you qualify for a special enrollment period.

So... yes, yes they did. That's going to be a roughly $600 something fine, which as a college student is a huge amount of money for me. If I am lucky that is a full paycheck on one fine.

QuoteThe Republican party soon will be dead and single payer will soon be here. (Soon is like 20 years or so)

Oh, I forgot how big into single-payer Democrats are... especially considering their paychecks come from the exact same pharmaceuticals and medical organizations that are making a killing off of keeping the system more-or-less the way it is...

Single-payer is a minority in the Democrat party, the Democrats are still miles more conservative than our European brethren. 
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nam

Shiranu

I don't qualify for an exemption, though I apparently do have to pay a reduced rate so that bits nice.

Nam

Quote from: Shiranu on July 24, 2014, 04:35:24 AM
I don't qualify for an exemption, though I apparently do have to pay a reduced rate so that bits nice.

There ya go.

-Nam

AllPurposeAtheist

Dude...Texas.. You need out of Texas.  You're always harping on how the town you're in sucks, no jobs, etc. and NO sane individual here is tooting Rick Perry's horn. I know..college and you live with mama, I get that. Maybe it's time to peak over the fence because sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side considering grass is only green in Texas in February..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

One question: Why does universal health care work in other countries and not here? And don't bitch about waiting lines, I usually have to wait for 45 minutes to one hour to see a doctor with an appointment. We have a shortage of qualified doctors, and staff because it is a nonprofit business that is top heavy and save money by low pay to personal. And just because it is non profit doesn't mean someone doesn't make money, like pharmaceutical companies and suppliers of medical equipment. When I worked in a hospital years ago a pair of sharps (scissors) cost the hospital $70, while I could go to a drugstore and get the exact same pair for $7. I had a doctor here in Scottsdale Ariz. that was a CEO of three medical supply agencies, while he wouldn't sign for me to get an operation that was causing me to go blind in one eye, and would be fatal if not done. They have no over sight and it needs to be cleaned up! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on July 24, 2014, 12:10:08 PM
One question: Why does universal health care work in other countries and not here?
It would work here, and very probably even better.  As for your other observations like waiting for a doctor or denial of services in the USA, they are not uncommon and often voiced by those who oppose universal healthcare without realizing things are no better here than in other countries.  Sometimes worse.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 24, 2014, 02:45:55 AM
And how has the quality of healthcare and insurance held up in all of this? Also, has this taken into account the businesses that no longer offer health insurance to their workers as a result of the increased costs associated with this law? By which I mean, is this increase in Americans signing up for insurance actually a net gain in insured Americans?

You see, those are the questions I actually give a shit about, because several of them have come uncomfortably close to affecting my living situation more than once.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hakurei Reimu

QuoteThe findings by researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health, Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and the federal government are based on data pointing to a 5.2 percentage point drop in the U.S. uninsured rate since last September for Americans aged 18-64.
There you go. 5.2 percentage drop in the U.S. uninsured rate in the widest demographic. 65+ is covered by Medicare. -18 is covered by parents' insurance.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu