News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Opinions about Children

Started by Munch, July 23, 2014, 09:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Shiranu on July 25, 2014, 05:14:02 AM
So... for people like me, who are attracted to people of different ethnicities and cultures than myself... would a kid that has some of my blood and some of my wive's still make me xenophobic? Or better yet, the fact that I am of a mutli-ethnic background...

I'm sorry, but yeah... you are REAAAAALY stretching that definition. Think yoga pants on Chris Christie.
Exactly. I'm Italian, my wife is half Russian and half Ukrainian. Yes, we're sooooo xenophobic!

stromboli

QuoteI'm sorry, but yeah... you are REAAAAALY stretching that definition. Think yoga pants on Chris Christie.

:eek:

Icarus

I had a conversation with my cousins 6 year old daughter a few hours ago and was surprised how intelligent she was. I was only really able to see this because she's well behaved so I could actually talk to her for more than 10 seconds.

The Skeletal Atheist

Even if it was Whitey Whiterson having a child with his white wife it wouldn't be xenophobia. I mean, seriously, you're trying to equate having a child the biologically way with "an irrational, intense fear or hatred of foreigners"? What if Whitey just loves his wife and wants to have a child with her? Do they have to adopt a foreign baby to be non xenophobic? What about the domestic kids? Do we just have to have some kind of child exchange program with other countries? Does the adopted kid have to be brown or can it be a white kid as long as it's from Europe or something? Say I (white as hell) and my half Mexican, half Asian boyfriend want to adopt a kid: what kid do we adopt to make sure we're not xenophobic?

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on July 25, 2014, 01:01:14 PMSay I (white as hell) and my half Mexican, half Asian boyfriend want to adopt a kid: what kid do we adopt to make sure we're not xenophobic?
A Black-Asian-Latino-Persian-Indian-Arab mix. Absolutely no Whitey McWhiterson allowed because all white people are racist poopyheads.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

the_antithesis

Dreamer

Children are a mix of their own personality but by and large, it is their surroundings that shape them.  Consistency is key.  If they throw a toy, and they get a laugh or applause one time, then they will constantly be trying to see what they can do differently to get a laugh rather than get the toy taken away.  Maybe I stuck my tongue out when I threw it?  Was I standing on one foot?  The world can support parents but more often than not it works against them:  The uncle who thinks it's adorable when the toddler smacks him and celebrates such behavior--that just confuses the kid, who can't understand why he's not getting applause and laughs and instead is in trouble.  Undermining, whether inadvertent or purposeful, happens regularly.

So even the greatest of parents still have a hard time.  And for the parents who are resentful of their responsibilities, who are lazy?  It is even worse.  They don't have consistency with their child to begin with, and the kid just learns that the rules change from moment to moment, dependent on mood, time of day, whether a baseball team won or lost, etc.

I was pretty forgiving before I had a child of my own, but now I am decidedly less so.  I understand and have sympathy when a mother or father snaps and yells at their kids, "Stop it!  No more!"  But I have no sympathy and am full of judgment when I hear one scream, "Get in the fucking car!  You need to stop it right fucking now, you little shit!"  (which I just heard yesterday in a parking lot..)  Threatening to bust a child's ass also doesn't do much to impress me.

I find other children much more tiresome now that I have my own child.  I love being around children who are well-behaved, kind, etc.--they are good role-models for my Tristan.  But the bratty kids?  All I can think is how I don't want my son to see what they are doing, hear them, etc.
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Munch

Quote from: Icarus on July 25, 2014, 12:47:30 PM
I had a conversation with my cousins 6 year old daughter a few hours ago and was surprised how intelligent she was. I was only really able to see this because she's well behaved so I could actually talk to her for more than 10 seconds.

I try that with my 4 year old nephew, and I can't go 5 seconds before he's climbing over me like a monkey.
Maybe I'm just so ocd and a grump, but I'm more longing for the days when I could just talk to my nephews instead of it turning into downplaying and wrestling every single time.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

the_antithesis

Some kids are well disciplined and others have shitty parents.

Munch

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 26, 2014, 11:51:40 AM
Some kids are well disciplined and others have shitty parents.

I think sometimes it can be that parents are trying to be good parents, but kids turn out shitty anyway.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

the_antithesis

Quote from: Munch on July 26, 2014, 12:28:20 PM
I think sometimes it can be that parents are trying to be good parents, but kids turn out shitty anyway.

Nah. Kids are shitty as a default. That's why it takes good parenting to make them presentable in public. I think some parents either give up or just get used to it, like that friend you have whose house smells like cat piss.

PickelledEggs

^ this. How does something so small fill so many diapers!?

Sent from your mom

Jmpty

These are mine. I truly believe that I have made the world a better place by bringing three freethinking, half Chinese, half Northern european, funny, smart, compassionate people into the world. They are a complete joy, and have added a dimension to my life that has made me a better person.

???  ??

SGOS

Adorable kids.  I just want to hug 'em all at the same time.

the_antithesis