News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

British Colonization of Africa

Started by Napolean B, July 20, 2014, 08:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 20, 2014, 09:22:31 PM
He's French. It's where he got that outrageous accent..
I have a misspelled French name.. Oh god!

Michel?

:wink:

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

DunkleSeele

Quote from: JohnD on July 23, 2014, 06:55:59 PM
They've had long enough to get their acts together!Or are they happy to spend the next couple of hundred years wallowing in self pity!!
Say what?

Are you even aware of the fact that most African countries gained their freedom from European colonisation only after WWII or even in the 70s?
Are you even aware of the fact that even if nominally independent their economy is still mostly controlled by western interests?
Are you even aware of the constant meddling US and Europe had and still have in their own internal affairs, including installing the convenient dictateur du jour and/or supporting this or that political faction according to our economic interests?

JohnD

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 24, 2014, 04:05:28 AM
Say what?

Are you even aware of the fact that most African countries gained their freedom from European colonisation only after WWII or even in the 70s?
Are you even aware of the fact that even if nominally independent their economy is still mostly controlled by western interests?
Are you even aware of the constant meddling US and Europe had and still have in their own internal affairs, including installing the convenient dictateur du jour and/or supporting this or that political faction according to our economic interests?

Yes i am aware, what's your point? One country was picked out of many colonialists. To add to your list of meddlers in African affairs, why didnt you also include more recent meddlers such as China and Russia? We are all complicit in exploiting poorer countries not just in Africa. Countrie within continents exploit their neighbours. You want the latest product at a cheap price then instead of whining about it, do something about it.
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

DunkleSeele

Quote from: JohnD on July 24, 2014, 05:58:33 AM
Yes i am aware, what's your point? One country was picked out of many colonialists. To add to your list of meddlers in African affairs, why didnt you also include more recent meddlers such as China and Russia? We are all complicit in exploiting poorer countries not just in Africa. Countrie within continents exploit their neighbours. You want the latest product at a cheap price then instead of whining about it, do something about it.
Do you realise you're supporting my point of view?

These African countries did not have "long enough to get their acts together!". They haven't been given the chance to get their acts together.

About China and Russia: I agree with you, no arguments. If I didn't mention them explicitly it's because their influence on those African countries is historically much more recent than European/US one.

JohnD

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 24, 2014, 06:49:36 AM
Do you realise you're supporting my point of view?

These African countries did not have "long enough to get their acts together!". They haven't been given the chance to get their acts together.

About China and Russia: I agree with you, no arguments. If I didn't mention them explicitly it's because their influence on those African countries is historically much more recent than European/US one.

No, what i realise is that you made an assumption that 'long enough to get their acts together' meant that they should now be on par with the west. My statement was that they either move towards a social program which is beneficial to all. It doesn't matter at what stage of this transposition they are at, as long as the people can see that progression is being made and to their benefit, which it doesn't appear to be. They've had long enough to implement these programs and it ain't happening.

Then you blame the West and the USA  for exploiting these countries! How do they exploit them? Well they can't do what they did in the past and colonise the country for it's resources and cheap labour force so now they offer enticements to these governments. So the question is, who is the bad guy in this situation, the enticer or the enticee? My answer is that they are both equaly complicit at the expense of their citizens. 'Luckily' some governments will allow the wealth to trickle down to it's citizens and there are others who hoard it and their citizens get squat. So while it's easy to blame the west, consider also that governments who abuse their power, not just in Africa, also have a moral obligation to their citizens which in most cases 'ain't happening'.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: JohnD on July 24, 2014, 07:48:22 AM
   No, what i realise is that you made an assumption that 'long enough to get their acts together' meant that they should now be on par with the west.
You're the only one making assumptions here.
QuoteMy statement was that they either move towards a social program which is beneficial to all. It doesn't matter at what stage of this transposition they are at, as long as the people can see that progression is being made and to their benefit, which it doesn't appear to be. They've had long enough to implement these programs and it ain't happening.
In some countries it has started, in some others it didn't. Mostly because it's not in the interests of the big world players for these countries to develop.
QuoteThen you blame the West and the USA  for exploiting these countries! How do they exploit them? Well they can't do what they did in the past and colonise the country for it's resources and cheap labour force so now they offer enticements to these governments. So the question is, who is the bad guy in this situation, the enticer or the enticee? My answer is that they are both equaly complicit at the expense of their citizens. 'Luckily' some governments will allow the wealth to trickle down to it's citizens and there are others who hoard it and their citizens get squat. So while it's easy to blame the west, consider also that governments who abuse their power, not just in Africa, also have a moral obligation to their citizens which in most cases 'ain't happening'.
And these governments who abuse their power are supported by whom? It's the new face of colonialism, wake up and smell the coffee.

JohnD

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 24, 2014, 08:49:29 AM
And these governments who abuse their power are supported by whom? It's the new face of colonialism, wake up and smell the coffee.

The answer is in my post, jeeeezz. It really isn't that difficult to understand. If you want i can come round and hold your hand while we read it together!!

DunkleSeele

Quote from: JohnD on July 24, 2014, 09:36:19 AM
The answer is in my post, jeeeezz. It really isn't that difficult to understand. If you want i can come round and hold your hand while we read it together!!
Don't worry, I don't need any hand holding to see the bias in your posts. Your answer is that those third world countries (or their governments) are equally to blame as the ones supporting them. The reality is that those countries never had the possibility of having any real development BECAUSE of the meddling of the big world players. Colonialism really never ended because the big world players never allowed a real change even after the official end of the occupation of those countries.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm done with you. Your posts aren't worth any more of my time.

JohnD

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 24, 2014, 09:48:26 AM
Don't worry, I don't need any hand holding to see the bias in your posts. Your answer is that those third world countries (or their governments) are equally to blame as the ones supporting them. The reality is that those countries never had the possibility of having any real development BECAUSE of the meddling of the big world players. Colonialism really never ended because the big world players never allowed a real change even after the official end of the occupation of those countries.

Stop acting so pious. You make out you are a knight in shining armour to the oppressed. What you are is a part of the problem!! You want your cheap TV's, computers, cars etc. Where do you think it all comes from? The exploitation of the poor mainly from undeveloped and developing countries.  Instead of sitting on your fat ass filling your pie hole with doritos and Coke, why don't you go out and help these people, then you might be worth taking seriously!!

DunkleSeele

It says a lot about someone when they have to resort to false assumptions and personal attacks. Oh well...

JohnD

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 24, 2014, 09:48:26 AM

A liar as well.