News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ask a Catholic

Started by CatholicCrusader, July 19, 2014, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CatholicCrusader

this is a thread where I answer questions anyone has about the Catholic Church. 

please do not continue reading this OP if you are not interested in reasons why Protestants aree converting to Catholicism in large numbers and why the Catholic Church is biblical and the most biblically accurate Christian faith.

Try not to see this as an attack on protestantism but rather a list of reasons why people become Catholic for those of you who think we are a bunch of hellbound pagans.The councils that decided the Canon of Scripture that would be in the first Christian Bible took place after Christianity became the official Religion of the Roman Empire and therefore it was the Roman Catholic Church that put together the first Bible and decided the New Testament Canon that is accepted by noncatholics. There is overwhelming evidence that the Catholic Church began in the first century and that the Papacy is nearly 2,000 years old http://www.catholic.com/tracts/browse/Papacy

Most of what people think is extremely Unchristian (Satanic) about the Church like Mariology, confession of sin to a priest, the sacrifice of the mass, seven sacraments, communion of Saints, Holy images etc. was practiced by the Roman Catholics, Eastern Catholics, Coptic, and Orthodox Churches......so if those practices are Satanic and therefore not Christian as many claim, that would mean that every Christian Church on the face of the earth was propagating Satanic practices and therefore, there was not a Christian Church the earth before the 16th Century.if you follow that philosophy

So you Protestants say the Bible decides, but this begs the question when the two warring parties agree that the Bible is the final authority yet disagree on the interpretation where do we go?Since there is a document that many are divided on wouldnt God leave us with a Supreme Court to interpret it and settle Doctrinal or interpretational disputes?

Catholicism avoids theological relativism, by means of dogmatic certainty and the centrality of the papacy.

Catholicism formally (although, sadly, not always in practice) prevents the theological "pick and choose" state of affairs, which leads to the uncertainties and "every man for himself" confusion within the private interpretation system among laypeople.Catholicism retains apostolic succession, necessary to know what is true Christian apostolic Tradition. It was the criterion of Christian truth used by the early Christians and the Church Fathers.

Protestantism arose in 1517, and is a "Johnny-come-lately" in the history of Christianity (having introduced many doctrines previously accepted by no Church, or very few individuals). Therefore it cannot possibly be the "restoration" of "pure", "primitive" Christianity, since this is ruled out by the fact of its novelties and absurdly late appearance. The Catholic Church accepts the authority of the great ecumenical councils which defined and developed Christian doctrine such as the Trinity and the Nicene Creed which are embraced by most Protestants

Protestantism has too often neglected the place of liturgy in worship (with notable exceptions such as Anglicanism and Lutheranism). This is the way Christians had always worshiped down through the centuries, and thus cant be so lightly dismissed. Many Protestant denominations have removed the Eucharist from the center and focus of Christian worship services. Some Protestants observe it only monthly, or even quarterly (the Reformed are notorious for this). This is against many centuries of Christian Tradition and therefore should not be lightly dismissed. Most Protestants (Lutherans and high-church Anglicans being the exception) believe in a merely symbolic Eucharist, which is contrary to universal Christian Tradition up to 1517, the teachings of the Early Church Fathers, and the Bible (Mt 26:26-8; Jn 6:47-63; 1 Cor 10:14-22; 11:23-30), which hold to the Real Presence

Protestantism has abolished the priesthood (Mt 18:18) and the sacrament of ordination, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Acts 6:6; 14:22; 1 Tim 4:14; 2 Tim 1:6).The majority of Protestants deny baptismal regeneration, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 16:16; Jn 3:5; Acts 2:38; 22:16; Rom 6:3-4; 1 Cor 6:11; Titus 3:5).Protestantism is divided into five major camps on the question of baptism. Protestantism denies the indissolubility of sacramental marriage and allows divorce, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Gen 2:24; Mal 2:14-16; Mt 5:32; 19:6,9; Mk10:11-12; Lk 16:18; Rom 7:2-3; 1 Cor 7:10-14,39)

.Many Protestant denominations (mostly its liberal wing, but alarmingly in many other places, too) have changed their previous stances on women pastors, abortion, and homosexuality.
Catholicism remains firm on what it has always taught of such behavior being forbidden or gravely sinful.Women pastors is contrary to Christian Tradition (including traditional Protestant theology) and the Bible (Mt 10:1-4; 1 Tim 2:11-15; 3:1-12; Titus 1:6).

Protestantism sanctions contraception,(they changed their stance) in defiance of universal Christian Tradition (Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant) up until 1930 - when the Anglicans first allowed it - and the Bible (Gen 38:8-10; 41:52; Ex 23:25-6; Lev 26:9; Deut 7:14; Ruth 4:13; Lk 1:24-5). Luther and Calvin, e.g., regarded it as murder. Now, only Catholicism retains the ancient Tradition.

Protestantism has contradictory views of church government, or ecclesiology (episcopal, presbyterian, congregational, or no collective authority at all), thusmaking widespread discipline, unity and order impossible.Some sects even claim to have "apostles" or "prophets" among them, with all the accompanying abuses of authority resulting there from and false predictions of the end times and belief's like the Rapture.

Sola scriptura could be considered an abuse of the Bible, since it is a use of the Bible contrary to its explicit and implicit testimony about itself and Tradition.The Bible is, in fact, undeniably a Christian Tradition itself.

Most Protestants do not have bishops, a Christian office which is biblical (1 Tim 3:1-2) and which has existed from the earliest Christian history and Tradition.

Protestantism has no way of settling doctrinal issues definitively. At best, the individual Protestant can only take a head count of how many Protestant scholars, commentators, etc. take such-and-such a view on Doctrine or interpretation x, y, or z; Or (in a more sophisticated fashion), the Protestant can simply accept the authority of some denominational tradition, confession, or creed (which then has to be justified over against the other competing ones). There is no unified Protestant Tradition.

stromboli

Everything you posted in the OP is of no interest to anyone here. We are atheists. Look it up. We really don't give a damn about you or your beliefs and if you want a positive response, try your mother, or whichever priest is currently using your rectum for a joy toy. You will get nothing but negative feedback and are really, really wasting your time.

CatholicCrusader

Don't worry about me guys.  Not only can you guys all gang up on me but the other theists  will as well so you will have fun with me I'm sure.

by the way, I can see biblically why the Church teaches about contraceptives but personally I think contraceptives are a good thing.
Also I believe priests should be allowed to marry.

I think the ban on women priests is very biblical but I certainly do not feel strong about that issue and believed that is a vocation that women could do very well at.

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: stromboli on July 19, 2014, 08:45:05 PM
Everything you posted in the OP is of no interest to anyone here. We are atheists. Look it up. We really don't give a damn about you or your beliefs and if you want a positive response, try your mother, or whichever priest is currently using your rectum for a joy toy. You will get nothing but negative feedback and are really, really wasting your time.

the Internet is big and I am sure that there are theists who will read this.  this will be the last thread that I start about Catholicism

stromboli

The bible is a work of fiction so any quote from it is invalid and we still don't have any interest in your bullshit. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on July 19, 2014, 08:45:05 PM

While its true anyone here as an atheist would most likely not have an interest in Catholicism or any other religion, we should also take the opportunity to extend our own way of seeing the world to others without forcing it, and even take the opportunity to  pop question to those in devout faiths on their personal view of such matters.
This is an open forum after all, and I'm pretty sure the op is outnumbered, but for the benefit of the doubt why not get some feedback?

I guess I'll open the board with a simple question, one to one, CatholicCrusader what is your personal view of the now growing acceptance of something like gay marriage across states in america, as well as European countries like the uk?

QuoteThe bible is a work of fiction so any quote from it is invalid and we still don't have any interest in your bullshit. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

come now, if he's being civil with us, we can extend the same.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

leo

The catholiccrusader will see his or her ass in the pulgatory soon.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Moralnihilist

An honest question for the OP. What makes you want to come to a place called Atheist forums and try to reach protestants? Would not your little crusade be better served by going where, you know, protestants are?
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Moralnihilist on July 19, 2014, 09:09:58 PM
An honest question for the OP. What makes you want to come to a place called Atheist forums and try to reach protestants? Would not your little crusade be better served by going where, you know, protestants are?
Well, we do have one protestant that I know of in here.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Personally I don't care if you want to discuss this stuff and have the pretentious idea that Catholicism is The One Trueâ,,¢ faith. To me it's the same as when I was a small child, gibberish with the goal of extracting every penny from every sucker who'll bite.
I don't care if this gibberish was written ten years or ten thousand years ago, it's still gibberish written to sound important and the only reason it is is to woo people into handing over their hard earned wages to someone to build 'glorious' buildings as monuments to their own egotistical bullshit and pretend they have some useful knowledge only they can dole out a few hours a day on Sundays.
Feel free to feel important, but here you're just another rolly holer..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: Munch on July 19, 2014, 08:52:55 PM
While its true anyone here as an atheist would most likely not have an interest in Catholicism or any other religion, we should also take the opportunity to extend our own way of seeing the world to others without forcing it, and even take the opportunity to  pop question to those in devout faiths on their personal view of such matters.
This is an open forum after all, and I'm pretty sure the op is outnumbered, but for the benefit of the doubt why not get some feedback?

I guess I'll open the board with a simple question, one to one, CatholicCrusader what is your personal view of the now growing acceptance of something like gay marriage across states in america, as well as European countries like the uk?

come now, if he's being civil with us, we can extend the same.
Thank you  for your kind and civil  message

My personal belief is that there is no such thing as a gay marriage but I don't feel too bad if gay couples are given all of the benefits that a heterosexual couple gets.

Since there are plenty of Christian denominations that will Wed gay couples I see no reason why the Catholic Church is to ever do such a thing or change what was taught for 2000 years.

I have known many homosexuals  I care about  deeply who are kind and generous and compassionate towards other people and treat them as they would like to be treated.  I do not believe that homosexual acts are nearly as bad as  pride,  unforgiveness, self-righteousness , judging other people, calumny, hatred, theft, or murder.

Simon Moon

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 19, 2014, 09:39:51 PM
thank you very much for your kind post.

my personal belief is that there is no such thing as a gay marriage but I don't feel too bad if gay couples are given all of the benefits that a heterosexual couple gets.

since there are plenty of Christian denominations that will Wed gay couples I see no reason why the Catholic Church is to ever do such a thing or change what was taught for 2000 years.

I have known many homosexuals  I care about  deeply and are very kind and generous and compassionate towards other people and treat others as they would like to be treated.  I do not believe that homosexual acts are nearly as bad as  pride,  unforgiveness, self-righteousness , judging other people, hatred, theft, or murder.

Well, here's the thing about marriage in the US. I can't speak for other countries, but I am sure for most Western countries, it's probably similar.

Marriage, as far as the government is concerned, is a legal contract. End of story.

Name any other legal contract between consenting adults that you think it would be fair and reasonable to restrict entering into based on sexual orientation.

The religious portion of marriage is out of the government's hands. If churches, mosques, temples, etc do not want to perform the the religious ceremony for homosexuals, that is their right, and I support their decision.

But the religious ceremony has nothing to do with the legal contract.

But again, why should anyone restrict the right of consenting adults to enter into a legal contract?
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Simon Moon

By the way, welcome aboard.

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

CatholicCrusader

I see nothing immoral, sinful, or dangerous about allowing a civil contract  between a gay couple.  But I personally do not believe that it is a marriage.

CatholicCrusader

The Catholic Church does not teach that it is a sin to be homosexual .