News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Left Behind The Movie

Started by SGOS, September 19, 2014, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

According to midrashic literature, Adam's first wife was not Eve but a woman named Lilith, who was created in the first Genesis account. Only when Lilith rebelled and abandoned Adam did God create Eve, in the second account, as a replacement. In an important 13th century Kabbalah text, the Sefer ha-Zohar ("The Book of Splendour") written by the Spaniard Moses de Leon (c. 1240-1305), it is explained that:

At the same time Jehovah created Adam, he created a woman, Lilith, who like Adam was taken from the earth. She was given to Adam as his wife. But there was a dispute between them about a matter that when it came before the judges had to be discussed behind closed doors. She spoke the unspeakable name of Jehovah and vanished.

Yes, I'm familiar with the idea of midrash.  But it is simply those involved in the jewish religion wishing to create reasons that the two totally different stories could be linked.  It is made from whole cloth.  The various 'books' of the bible is usually something retold from other cultures.  Midrash is often just made up stories.  At least, that is how I see it.  As for the "our" in Gen. 1 being the holy (holey, actually) trinity, that is another attempt to make  up a reason to reconcile the two different stories and to give substance to an idea that is not really anywhere else in the OT.  One thing christians  are not afraid of doing is making stuff up when they find the inconsistencies of the bible too much to deal with.  the holy trinity is basically the wholly made up trinity. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on September 22, 2014, 11:38:23 AM
Well said. I maintain that religion is based on four things:
guilt
fear
condemnation
judgment

They imply guilt with the concept of sin, impart fear that you will be punished eternally for it, condemn you for your conduct and then judge you, both by society and by the belief of a final judgment.
Yeah, that pretty much hits the nail on the head!  And fear is the real driving force behind religion.  which is why the current Rep. party is made up of so many christian types--they use fear almost as well as religion.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Desdinova on September 22, 2014, 11:31:18 AM
Hi IS a jealous God.  Remember?  And the kicker is that the pursuit of knowledge is tied to evil, represented by the serpent.  Question the word of God or pursue knowledge is viewed as inherent evil.  You've got to hand it to the sons of bitches, they came up with a hell of a security system there.
Your statement, with guilt, fear, condemnation, and judgement added in creates a great formula for religion.  All seem to have them to one degree or another. 

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on September 19, 2014, 08:19:52 AM
http://www.christianpost.com/news/left-behind-fans-question-nicolas-cages-faith-wonder-about-actual-rapture-before-films-release-111780/

More silly baloney from Christian movie goers.
One guy interviewed wondered if he would get raptured before the movie was released and not be able to see the movie at all.

Wow. If that doesn't demonstrate the arrogance inherent in faith, nothing does.

Desdinova

I remember my Grandma and Aunts telling me how the sky would open up and Christ would return and there would be this great war where God kicked everyone's ass.  There would be rivers of blood, hordes of angles decending from the heavens as Gabriel's horn blew, and all the Christians would be lifted up into the arms of God.  I'm six years old and they are telling me this shit with a smile on their face like it would be the greatest thing ever.  And I'm just sitting there frozen in fear, thinking how it would be such a horrible thing, for this beautiful and amazing world to end like that.  I would have fucking nightmares about that shit and spent my days glancing at the sky hoping not to see a big opening with Jesus and his posse coming through.  Now years later to think I lived in fear of that shit for more than half my life pisses me off.  I knew there was something wrong all along and didn't know what it was until I got the balls to finally deny all that crap.  It just fucking pisses me the fuck off!
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

SGOS

Quote from: Desdinova on September 22, 2014, 04:19:10 PM
I remember my Grandma and Aunts telling me how the sky would open up and Christ would return and there would be this great war where God kicked everyone's ass.  There would be rivers of blood, hordes of angles decending from the heavens as Gabriel's horn blew, and all the Christians would be lifted up into the arms of God.  I'm six years old and they are telling me this shit with a smile on their face like it would be the greatest thing ever.  And I'm just sitting there frozen in fear, thinking how it would be such a horrible thing, for this beautiful and amazing world to end like that.  I would have fucking nightmares about that shit and spent my days glancing at the sky hoping not to see a big opening with Jesus and his posse coming through.  Now years later to think I lived in fear of that shit for more than half my life pisses me off.  I knew there was something wrong all along and didn't know what it was until I got the balls to finally deny all that crap.  It just fucking pisses me the fuck off!
Sometimes I'm also a little irked that I spent so much of my life in fundamentalist fear instilled by my grandmother.  The fear lingered even after I decided it was probably bunk, but more than anything, I'm happy that I learned to reason and overcame that fear in the end.  It was a shitty way to live, and unlike many fundies who are so god-damned sure they've been saved, even though they are self absorbed assholes who would burn in Hell if there was a god, I had no delusions that I could ever live up to demands of the god of my grandmother.

If there ever were a rapture, I wonder how many of those arrogant fundamentalists, made in the image of a loving god, would find their sorry asses standing in the street after the rapture was over?

stromboli

Wow! Love the hula hoop girl! Yeah, I went through the whole Rapture thing pretty thoroughly as a Christian. What did it for me was the fact that one of my mentors in becoming a Chrisitan was a Messianic Jew. He pointed out that the word rapture is from the latin word raptus and is not translated from Hebrew. That, and if you read Revelations, there is no really good spot to insert the Rapture except at the beginning of the Tribulation, which creates problems for what comes after. there is also Gog and Magog- which is mentioned toward the end of Revelations and prophecied in Daniel. And also the concept of rapture didn't come about until 1830 and was never mentioned before that.

Munch

I'm sorry to hear that :(. In what I tell my boyfriend, who had a massive tits for a father, we can choose our family, but we can't choose our relatives, and sadly are grained by the fucked up forced teachings of our parents until we learn better then they do.
This perpetuation that just because the older generation IS older doesn't mean its smarter. The stupidest parents could have the smartest of children, and yet still consider their teachings more profound then anything the child gets from university, Academic or Ph.D, even more so for religious parents who have these fucked up stories floating around in their heads about the apocalypse. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Desdinova

Thanks Munch.  It really can be disturbing to little kids.  They believe their parents and close adult relatives without question.  So when they are told that if they don't accept Jesus and follow all the rules they will be cast into a burning lake of fire where they will suffer for fucking ever, they believe it.  I was scared to go to sleep at night, thinking that what if the world ends in my sleep and because I stole a cookie today I will be automatically cast into Lake Hellfire and burn for ever.  That my friends is a powerful indoctrination technique that can last a lifetime.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

stromboli

Think of the opportunities here. Somebody like a Kevin Smith (Dogma) doing a "Left Behind" satire wherein the fundies get left behind and only stoner hipsters get saved, something of that nature. That "Leftovers" on HBO hasn't caught my interest, so I don't care about that. But a movie where some obvious craziness involved, like a busload of fundies suddenly deprived of a driver while going down the freeway could be fun.  :lol:

Green Bottle

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 22, 2014, 12:30:22 PM
Would anyone be shocked and upset if I said I don't much give a fuck what's in any of those books because I don't believe a word of them? :shhh:
Ditto.................
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Munch

Well none of us do really care whats in them, but it is both funny and interesting to see the workings of how these people think and what they base their conception of real life on. In a similar way to how primates react to other primates.. though that's insulting to monkeys and gorillas
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin