News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Who is Noodle?

Started by Noodle, February 21, 2013, 10:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle

I'm Noodle! Well, That's what everyone calls me, so I guess its as good a name as any other.

The name? Long story, maybe I'll tell you someday.

I'm a geriatric ol'fart who's reached his 'sell by' date.

I'm a pale, male, African, which means I was born in Africa, lived here all my life, and never set foot off the continent.

Turn your globe round, so that Africa shows, roll your eye down to the bottom of the continent, and look for a spot where, if the world were a human being, you would stick an enema pipe. That's where I live.

I don't believe in any kind of 'Deity' or supreme intelligence who is directing this whole 'Theater'.

I don't believe in Heaven, or any kind of kind of 'Pie in the sky' reward for good behavior that you have to die to collect.

However, as a lifelong sufferer from MDD (Major Depressive Disorder) I can tell you first hand, there is a Hell, and you don't have to die to get there.

So, Yes, I'm an Atheist... but I have not always been one. I was brought up in a strictly religious environment, and although I wasn't Catholic, I went to a Catholic school.

I was thoroughly indoctrinated from both sides, but somehow, it didn't seem to 'take'. Oh  sure, for a long, long, time I hummed the tune and mouthed the words, but only because I was afraid of the repercussions if I didn't.

It took me until 1986 when, a bitter divorce, a suicide attempt and a 'Church comforter', who Told me to read the book of Job, and to '...take comfort...' really opened my eyes to the absurdity of the whole thing, and I rebelled.

Not that I got away easily.  Church Elders, well meaning members, and even 3 sets of missionaries all tried to convince me to mend my ways, and to 'come back to Jesus' - They still make the occasional foray into my 'lost' life to try and rescue my soul, but I think they're starting to get discouraged.

Once, after they'd made some assertions, I asked my visitors some questions I was sincerely interested in hearing their answer to. At the time, they couldn't come up with any answers, so I told them that I wouldn't mind if they wanted to take some time to research the matter and/or pray about it.

Although I didn't mean it to happen that way, only one guy came back. Seems the other guy came over to the 'Dark Side'.

My kids are all still believers, and I've never tried to influence them with my new-found Atheism. My one daughter, however, was so livid at my 'Apostasy', she was about ready to rip my arm off, and beat me to death with the bleeding end! Took a while to calm her down, but as soon as she realised that I wasn't about to 'Preach' Atheism, she calmed down somewhat. Somehow, I can't help feeling that she's somewhat ashamed of me. *sigh*

I like history, and I enjoy studying the Bible from my new perspective. I like to research historic facts, that may support or disprove Biblical events. I also find great value in some of the, lets say, 'ethical' lessons portrayed.

As for the factual or historic events, I've found that major events portrayed in the Bible, never happened in the Biblical contexts, but were mostly 'cribbed' form real historic events of other cultures, and adapted to fit the Biblical narrative. - Fascinating stuff!

I've joined this forum because I notice it's not one of those huge forums with thousands of members, where it's so easy to get lost in the crowd, but that you have a relatively small membership list. - Makes it so much friendlier.  I hope I will be able to contribute constructively to these discussions, and I look forward to learning a lot more about, and from you.

Thanks for reading.

Noodle.
[hrline][/hrline]

I believe in Dog

aitm

Anybody that can call himself noodle with a smile is okay by me, but even better that one uses "enema" in any context.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"Anybody that can call himself noodle with a smile is okay by me, but even better that one uses "enema" in any context.

I agree.  Anyone who can go by the handle of "Noodle" is already up by 2 points.

Welcome Noodle. Hope you like it here.

(one of my favorite movie characters - "Noodles" from Once Upon a Time in America - damn fine flick)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Plu

Welcome to the forums! :)

Bibliofagus

You may change your name to 'Welcome' now.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

stromboli

Welcome. After 3,000 posts you are eligible for a prostate exam.

SGOS

Quote from: "Noodle"I'm Noodle!
Thanks for reading.
Noodle.
Please don't offend the FSM.  Well, maybe it's OK.  Lot's of Mexicans call themselves Jesus.

stromboli

Noodles were invented by the Chinese and "co-opted" by the Italians. His Noodliness understands. He is nothing if not flexible.  :-D

Savior2006

Welcome Noodle. I'm glad people like your name. Nobody really liked mine at first, for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

stromboli

Quote from: "Savior2006"Welcome Noodle. I'm glad people like your name. Nobody really liked mine at first, for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

We are a suspicious bunch.

commonsense822

Quote from: "stromboli"Noodles were invented by the Chinese and "co-opted" by the Italians. His Noodliness understands. He is nothing if not flexible.  :-D

How dare you speak for his Noodliness!?!?!  BLASPHEMY!!  Burn the heretics like overcooked noodles!

Noodle

:lol:
Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Noodle"I'm Noodle!
Thanks for reading.
Noodle.
Please don't offend the FSM.  Well, maybe it's OK.  Lot's of Mexicans call themselves Jesus.

Duh!?? Sorry guys, I seem to have missed something here.
Seems to me there's some connotation to the name 'Noodle' I was unaware of.  Could someone please enlighten me?

For now, I can tell you that I was dubbed 'Noodle' by Santa Clause when I was about 5 years old (which was a long, long time ago). Sorry if it offends anyone.  :oops:

#-o   Of course!! Silly me... FSM - Flying Spaghetti Monster  #-o  

Never made the connection. Sorry, no relation.  :lol:
[hrline][/hrline]

I believe in Dog

Mister Agenda

LOL, welcome, Noodle!
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

wolf39us

Plu

Quote from: "stromboli"Noodles were invented by the Chinese and "co-opted" by the Italians. His Noodliness understands. He is nothing if not flexible. :-D

Are you implying he's cooked? I suppose that would make him more flexible.