Main Menu

What Is Dark Matter?

Started by Solitary, July 17, 2014, 12:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Well, forget superglue. sounds more like stucco.  :think:

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 18, 2014, 07:34:57 PM
I guess the dark matter clumps first, and then attracts the light matter. It's not really a chicken and egg thing. Or maybe it is: the egg came long before the chicken, as the DM came well before the LM.

When something happens in a regular fashion like in this case, the ratio of dark matter to baryonic matter is constant throughout the billions of galaxies, it is not an accident and is in need of an explanation.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Solitary on July 24, 2014, 11:24:01 AM
God did it?  Solitary

They used to say that about lightning, gravity or why milk is white? :biggrin2:

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Black stucco until I hear otherwise.  :naughty:

Shol'va

Has anyone consulted with Deepak Chopra on this?

ApostateLois

Until they actually observe and capture some of this alleged "dark matter," I will regard it with the same skepticism that I do God. In fact, it's exactly like God: invisible, undetectable, can't see it or touch it or interact with it, yet people insist that it HAS to be out there somewhere because of all the things that happen that they don't understand. There are currently 118 elements in the Period Table. Which of them is supposed to comprise "dark matter?" Scientists should consider that they might be misinterpreting the data. At one time, we thought there were canals on Mars, and they turned out to be an illusion.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

josephpalazzo

Quote from: ApostateLois on September 09, 2014, 04:00:18 PM
Until they actually observe and capture some of this alleged "dark matter," I will regard it with the same skepticism that I do God. In fact, it's exactly like God: invisible, undetectable, can't see it or touch it or interact with it, yet people insist that it HAS to be out there somewhere because of all the things that happen that they don't understand. There are currently 118 elements in the Period Table. Which of them is supposed to comprise "dark matter?" Scientists should consider that they might be misinterpreting the data. At one time, we thought there were canals on Mars, and they turned out to be an illusion.

Dark Matter is postulated on the fact that galaxies - and there are billions of billions of billions of them. - all have missing masses to justify their structure. It's "Dark" because it doesn't interact with matter through the electromagnetic force, only gravitational force. So you won't find it on the Periodic table. This is how science works: there is a fact in need of explanation, that requires a theory. Comparing that to religion is quite an insult.

williemack

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 10, 2014, 12:49:17 PM
Dark Matter is postulated on the fact that galaxies - and there are billions of billions of billions of them. - all have missing masses to justify their structure. It's "Dark" because it doesn't interact with matter through the electromagnetic force, only gravitational force. So you won't find it on the Periodic table. This is how science works: there is a fact in need of explanation, that requires a theory. Comparing that to religion is quite an insult.

Well said.  I will add that, in my understanding, we can calculate a gravitational force that we know exists.  We just don't know what is causing it.  This "something" is hereby dubbed "dark matter".
Remember, we didn't leave the stone age because we ran out of rocks.

Solitary

Gravity according to Einstein is caused by a curve in space time. Rap your head around that! Or in Quantum mechanics, particles called gravitons that create a gravitational field. Where's Joseph when we need him?  :eyes:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 17, 2014, 08:16:16 PM
So basically dark matter is the same as asking if a bear shits in the woods and there's nobody there to see it does that tree next to the bear make a sound?
Not sure... But the shit makes a smell!

Sent from your mom

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shol'va on July 28, 2014, 04:19:43 PM
Has anyone consulted with Deepak Chopra on this?

If the did, I'm sure he commented about the need for us to feel one-ness with it....

Sent from your mom

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Solitary on September 18, 2014, 12:11:17 AM
Gravity according to Einstein is caused by a curve in space time. Rap your head around that! Or in Quantum mechanics, particles called gravitons that create a gravitational field. Where's Joseph when we need him?  :eyes:
I'm here. GR and QM are not needed to postulate Dark Matter. Just Plain old Newtonian physics.