News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Greatest Fighter Of All Time?

Started by Jmpty, July 17, 2014, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

Who do you think deserves the title? Not just boxing, but all martial arts. My pick is easy. Jean Yves Theriault. 69/6/1 61 knockouts, 23 titles undefeated for 12 years.
http://youtu.be/JZS6qOlN3Ig
???  ??

Solitary

I pick Bruce Lee as best, with Jet Li second, but it would have been a heck of a match to you see both fight. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

This guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imi_Lichtenfeld

Imi Lichtenfeld. the badass of badasses. He developed Krav Maga, which is one of the deadliest fighting styles. He fought real world against people attacking Jews in the ghettos of Poland in the 1930s, against the Nazis in WW2, and developed the fighting style that makes the Tzahal (Israeli Defense Force) so dangerous. You can thank this guy for many thousands of dead Muslims.

Solitary

You always post the most interesting things Strom. I  never heard of this method of fighting. Thanks! Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: OK! You made my day already, now my cheeks hurt. Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

To be honest I vote for who gives a rats ass?  The best fighter is the person who lives 80+ years and dies of old age having never been in a fight in their life..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

True! "The best way to win a fight is to never be in one." Solarian from Mass Effect. Solitary

Jmpty

Neither Jet Li, or Bruce Lee, were competitive fighters. Jet Li competed in weapons and kata, only for 3 years, but didn't spar. The Krav Maga guy competed as a wrestler, according to his bio, but nothing of his record exists that I know of.
???  ??

Nam

I'm not into fighting (boxing, wrestling, mma etc.,), real or fake.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

aitm

I could say me, but then i would have to.....you know....(insert obligation to kill).....you know....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SilentFutility

Quote from: Solitary on July 17, 2014, 10:52:08 AM
You always post the most interesting things Strom. I  never heard of this method of fighting. Thanks! Solitary

It is what the Israeli armed forces teach now.
It is also practiced around the world, but the quality of classes and teaching outside of Israel varies wildy from good to very bad. If taught well though, it is very good for self-defence, especially as you practice dealing with common attack situations, multiple opponents, avoiding being at the business end of a knife, etc.

I looked at taking it up, but there are no good schools in my area it would seem, so I am now switching from boxing to MMA.

stromboli

My Army son had good success with Muay Thai. Same as Krav, you need a good school. The good thing about both is they focus on the most useful skills, not a whole bunch of separate drills and katas like Taekwondo.

JohnS

The only fight game I've ever followed, or cared about,  is the sweet science of boxing, which now is all but dead.  But the all-time greatest boxer pound for pound is an easy choice for me...the great Sugar Ray Robinson!

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Solitary on July 17, 2014, 11:16:25 AM
True! "The best way to win a fight is to never be in one." Solarian from Mass Effect. Solitary

yeah but they cheat and use science. A Salarian is more likely to stab you in the back than to fight you
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit