Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Attention Moderators!

Started by Solitary, July 15, 2014, 11:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

www.wikihow.com

How to Block Proxy Servers

Three Methods:Block Proxy Servers With SoftwareBlock Proxy Servers Without SoftwareBlock Proxy Servers With a Third Party Service

Do you operate an e-commerce business? You check your access logs daily to see if there have been suspicious activities, such as hackers or botnets hacking your system. Perhaps one of the challenges you face is proxy servers. You would like to block them so they don’t harm your system. Block proxy servers with the following steps.

Method 1 of 3: Block Proxy Servers With Software

1Install proxy software on your server. You can purchase and download the software from Internet. Using proxy software will save you money and time. You don’t have to worry about collecting a list of proxy servers. You may have to provide the software the URL address of the proxy server. The software will find the rest of the server’s information, and store it. The software will also likely have a feature in which you configure it to update the proxy list every week.

2Analyze the IP address. Use the software to help you to learn where the IP address is located. The software can give information, such as the type of protocol, proxy’s speed, country, and port number. You will be able to find out if the IP address is coming from a residential or business computer. If it’s a business computer, the software will let you know if its IP address is coming from an Internet service provider, proxy service, or a co-located server that’s located in a data center.

3Verify if the address is a static IP address. A static IP address is a number that the Internet service provider permanently assigns a computer so that it can communicate with other computers via the Internet. If the IP address did not come from a co-location or is privately-owned, then it can be coming from a CIDR. CIDR, which stands for Classless Inter-Domain Routing, is a method to assign and identify the Internet addresses that are applied in inter-domain routing. This method is more flexible than the initial system of IP address classes. CIDRs can vary in size. Some can consist of thousands IP addresses, while others can be as small as four to eight IP addresses.

4Search for the IP address in the CIDR. Let the software detect if the IP address is bad.

5Block the proxy server from visiting your website. When the proxy server tries to access your website, you can have the software display a message, “Access Denied.”

1Block proxy servers by HTTP protocols. If you don’t want to purchase software, there is another way. You can insert a script in your website’s root htsaccess file. It’s best to copy and paste the code, rather than type it. That way, you can be sure that you won’t make any errors. After you’ve inserted the code, upload it to your server. This method is effective. Insert the following code:

# block proxy servers from site access
# http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/04/20/how-to-block-proxy-servers-via-htaccess/ RewriteEngine on RewriteCond %{HTTP:VIA} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:FORWARDED} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:USERAGENT_VIA} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:X_FORWARDED_FOR} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:PROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:XPROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_CLIENT_IP} !^$ RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [F]

Method 3 of 3: Block Proxy Servers With a Third Party Service

1Use a free service like Black Box Proxy Block to check if an IP address is associated with an open proxy server.

2Other services such as BlockScript, BlockThatProxy, Maxmind and ThreatMetrix track all types of proxy servers, including Open proxies, HTTP proxies, SOCKS proxies, VPN (Virtual Private Network) servers, SSH tunnel servers, web-based proxies, popular anonymity networks, and Tor.

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Nam

Dude, if you're going to copy/paste SOURCE IT. Otherwise, it's plagiarism, and you can get blocked for that.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

wolf39us

I'm not running a dedicated server... whatever I block will need to be done within the software of the forum itself

Solitary

Quote from: Nam on July 15, 2014, 11:53:43 AM
Dude, if you're going to copy/paste SOURCE IT. Otherwise, it's plagiarism, and you can get blocked for that.

-Nam
Thank you! I thought I did put the source. Solitary

Solitary

Quote from: Solitary on July 15, 2014, 03:03:36 PM
Thank you! I thought I did put the source. Solitary
Quote from: wolf39us on July 15, 2014, 11:58:01 AM
I'm not running a dedicated server... whatever I block will need to be done within the software of the forum itself
Thanks for letting me know. So this is why we get so much aggravation here. I think we are doomed thanks to jerks that just have to ruin it for everyone. I think I'm out here then, because it isn't worth the aggravation to put up with it. It's too bad that one person can shut down a forum. What's the point of banning them? It's been fun until now, I'll find another atheist or freethinker site. I think the moderators have done a good job catching the perps, but if they can't be stopped, so what? They have succeeded doing what they have wanted to do, or he has.  :pirate: Solitary

wolf39us

Quote from: Solitary on July 15, 2014, 03:12:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know. So this is why we get so much aggravation here. I think we are doomed thanks to jerks that just have to ruin it for everyone. I think I'm out here then, because it isn't worth the aggravation to put up with it. It's too bad that one person can shut down a forum. What's the point of banning them? It's been fun until now, I'll find another atheist or freethinker site. I think the moderators have done a good job catching the perps, but if they can't be stopped, so what? They have succeeded doing what they have wanted to do, or he has.  :pirate: Solitary

That would be a shame Solitary.  I would hate to see you go over a few trolls that will eventually just disappear.

Nam

don't ban him. Restrict trolls to a private area called Trollville, where they can troll all they want; where mods and certain members can play with them until it becomes tiresome then banhammer them.

Man, that'd be a fun place.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

DunkleSeele

Blocking proxy servers would be a disservice to those serious posters from countries with censored/restricted internet access or those who need to protect their anonymity for fear of reprisal.

The Skeletal Atheist

ATTENTION MODERATORS: I am occasionally sadface or angryface and I blame you for everything wrong in my life. Also you did 9/11 and shot JR. If you ban me I will sockpuppet and make a general ass of myself.

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 15, 2014, 03:42:09 PM
Blocking proxy servers would be a disservice to those serious posters from countries with censored/restricted internet access or those who need to protect their anonymity for fear of reprisal.

Agreed.

Quote from: Nam on July 15, 2014, 03:27:52 PM
don't ban him. Restrict trolls to a private area called Trollville, where they can troll all they want; where mods and certain members can play with them until it becomes tiresome then banhammer them.

Man, that'd be a fun place.

-Nam
Meh, chewtoys are fun but we're not getting that, we're getting fucking retards who think they're edgy.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

SGOS

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on July 15, 2014, 04:40:02 PM

Meh, chewtoys are fun but we're not getting that, we're getting fucking retards who think they're edgy.

Yep.  Good observation.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur