News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest book you've read.

Started by Mr.Obvious, July 14, 2014, 05:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

Preston still scares me, with his damn talent.
4 out of 5

Baruch

Hydra009 ... yes, in the Medieval period, things at least started to look like what we are familiar with.  Though 500 years ago was still pretty alien.  It is much harder to relate to Roman or older times ... except thru Hollywood epics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shukhov

Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire by Chalmers Johnson. Good critique of USA behavior and it's imperial policy. Also while critical it does not stray into USA is little Satan territory.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

George Santayana.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".

Mikhail Bakunin.

trdsf

Late beta version of a friend's first novel.  Obviously, I can't give details, but it has promise!  And a rare (and, surprisingly, successful) blend of both magic and high tech.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Bluewind

I'll talk about the last good book I read as I don't recall the latest one. It's called Every Day by David Levithan. It's about someone named A who wakes up in a different person's body every day. A lives their life and gets to see the world as every type of person you can imagine as long as they are near A's age. You get to see the world through the eyes of someone who has lived a day in so many lives and knows how we all see and taste and experience it all differently. A also falls in love and experiences a lot of problems over it. It's a great book which could just as easily be about someone with a fluid gender and sexuality. After several months of unoriginal/predictable copycats and/or bad writing, it was a breath of fresh air. It's not perfect mind you, but it's a good quick read for any age group.

Also, random note: my favorite book is Memoirs of a Geisha by Author Golden. My favorite books when I was younger were Where The Red Fern Grows (because it reminded me of my dad) and Misoso: Once Upon a Time Tales From Africa (because it was different).
There is beauty in a finite life.

Shukhov

Memoirs from the House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's quite good read but nothing more I would say. Bulgakov The Master and Margarita or Grossman Life and Fate were better.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

George Santayana.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".

Mikhail Bakunin.

Baruch

Bluewind ... your book is describing "stream of consciousness" during dream-states.  All sorts of rules are discarded during dreams, including gender rules.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Bluewind

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
Bluewind ... your book is describing "stream of consciousness" during dream-states.  All sorts of rules are discarded during dreams, including gender rules.
It's less of a dream state and more of a formless person who possesses a new body each day. A cannot control the body they wake up in every day and they have a fluid sense of gender. They at times get upset when they wake up in the body of one gender and wanted to be the other. Their sexuality is polysexual and they are capable of falling in love with someone and staying in love with that person regardless of the body they are in.

Like I said, the book isn't too long so it can be started and finished in a day or so. It's worth a read when you are waiting on a new book to come out or on a library waiting list. ;)
There is beauty in a finite life.

PickelledEggs

Just finished reading Nihala. A book written by my friend. It was really good. Check it out if you can. https://www.amazon.com/Nihala-Scott-Burdick-ebook/dp/B010MNX1XM

Mr.Obvious

Just finished "The status civilization", by Robert Sheckley in 1960.
A fun little book. (Read it in Dutch, well translated I believe.) A real pageturner.
Guy finds himself on an exile planet, accused of a murder he can't recall. The society he winds up in involves killing and savagery in order to climb up the social ladder and survive. Prisoners on the colony have an average life-span of 3 years. He tries to survive so he can escape and find out the truth about himself. The book is interesting and clever enough all the way through. Though I did see the final confrontation coming, though only some part in the second half.

I like old SciFi, a lot. If you do too, I recommend it wholeheartedly.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Much like in the old Star Trek ... when Scotty is accuse of a murder, that he is witnessed doing, but he can't himself recall.  Turns out there is an immaterial alien going around possessing people and making them commit murder, and this same entity was the party responsible for the Jack the Ripper killings.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

telly

The Monk Who sold his Ferrari its a good book. I enjoyed it.

trdsf

I have just bought my third copy of Douglas Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach.  I have quite literally read its two predecessors to pieces.  And my copy of his Metamagical Themas is starting to get a little ratty...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

I finally got around to reading something by Hemingway.  I just read For Whom the Bell Tolls.  It was OK.  I guess I'm not a big fan of Hemingway, although I've only read one of his books.  The story was very good.  His prose, which Hemingway is always praised for, seems odd to me.  Instead of swearing, he would always say something like, "I 'obscenity' in your coffee."  I understand that back in his day, he would have been able to publish it with the actual words.  But I also found his prose odd for other reasons.  I suppose he was trying to mimic how Spanish would sound translated word for word.  Although I'm not sure what he was doing.  I've never heard anyone talk that way.  Lastly, while I've heard that his prose is clean, it seem very repetitious.  His characters would frequently repeat the same phrase several times.  He did that often, and it seemed cluttered to me.  The story itself was a graphic and exciting depiction of war.  There was a lot of preparing and waiting around, culminating in violent and hair raising action.

Unbeliever

The Last Legends of Earth

Not quite done with this, but it's looking like one of my favorite reads. Very weird, which I love. Partly a love story (True Love...), part war against alien destroyers, part philosophy.

I haven't yet even read Radix, but that'll come as soon as I can find it.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman