News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest book you've read.

Started by Mr.Obvious, July 14, 2014, 05:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

See Spot Run

What a horrid book. I'm offended by how simplistic the author expects the audience to be. Spot, the main character, is 1 dimensional at best. No word is spared on why he runs. He just runs! Am I suppose to believe this dog does not have a dark past he's running from?

0 out of 10
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Mr.Obvious

Making Money

The 36th of the late Terry Pratchett's Discworld saga, and the second to have the charismatic former swindler Moist von Lipwig as it's main lead.

What can I say; a great Discworld novel. I think it may even be better than 'Going Postal', the prior Moist von Lipwig story. Where 'Going Postal' was more of a continued rush, this had, to me, more noteable moments without every losing the story or it's drive completely. To anyone who has read this story; the entire climax at the courthouse was a thrill. Couple that with a more pityfull yet no less dispicable and much more interestingly insane villain in this story compared to the second, and you got yourself an outstanding piece of work.
While I suggest reading the Discworld saga in order, as I am doing. Making Money is one of the creme de la creme that make it worth it. It can really sell the charm of Ankh-Morpork, one of the most vile cities you can imagine. Or, to say it fittingly in theme with the book: it can sell the sizzle.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Sophie's World

This book was a very fun read, and I liked the idea of using a novel to teach the history of philosophy. It also brings to life the idea that fictional characters have an actual existence of some sort. They may exist in one or another of the multiverses, but who knows which those might be.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 15, 2015, 05:49:38 PM
Sophie's World

This book was a very fun read, and I liked the idea of using a novel to teach the history of philosophy. It also brings to life the idea that fictional characters have an actual existence of some sort. They may exist in one or another of the multiverses, but who knows which those might be.

Since you are clearly a thinker ... have you read ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein%27s_Poker
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Eirene

The Sorrows of Young Werther
3/5. It was so melodramatic at times that I thought it was a comedy. Well, I didn't really, but yeah you could really see that it's a different era now. If it wasn't so tragic I would've liked it more, but then it would've lost its status and appeal probably. But what can I say, I prefer happier endings :)
I talk to god, but the sky is empty.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 20, 2015, 02:15:17 AM
Since you are clearly a thinker ... have you read ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein%27s_Poker

Sorry, didn't see this post before, didn't mean to ignore it.

No, I haven't yet read that, but I will if I can come across it. My reading list is rather hit and miss, I can't just read whatever I'd like (which is everything there is to read). At least, not until I win the lottery tonight.
God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

'The Valley of Fear' from 1915 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Another Sherlock book, and the last of the four longer cases. Honestly, it could be concidered be the best one amongst them. It has the same structure as 'A study in scarlet' with the first half being Holmes investigation and the second part being the story that lead to it. The first half is a tad weaker than it could be, but the second half makes up for that plenty. A riveting read, I recommend it.

trdsf

Let me admit up front that I saw the movie Contact (driving through a tornado warning and dodging bits of siding on the highway to get to it) before I tackled the book, and the book version I first stumbled across was the abridged reading done by Jody Foster.

I loved the movie, even though I recognized its many weaknesses.  I loved the book, even in its abridged format, it was a much stronger, much more fulfilling story.  And now I'm finally on (a reading of) the unabridged book.

So much better than both before.  So, so much better.  I love all the little background details, even if they don't directly impact the storyline.  They paint the picture.

And few concepts in fiction carry -- for me, anyway -- the stunning impact of the implications of what the aliens are studying.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol".

I didn't read his Robert Langdon-series in order, and you really don't have to to enjoy them. This third instalment was the last one I had left to read. It was also the least, in my opinion. Perhaps due to the fact that I already read the others first and so familiarized myself with his style, but the plot-twists could be seen from a mile away. There was also less doubt to me about who was a good guy and who was a bad guy.
Still, it had the usual hyped up chase I liked from the other books. And Langdon was fun and relateable enough to enjoy. making a worthwhile book to take on a beach-vacation.
However, the greatest problem with the book, that really kept me from enjoying it at times, was the author's constant fight to keep religion and unsupported claims in a good light. While this didn't feature as much, I think, in 'Inferno', it was something I also noticed in 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons'. Brown is apparently a Christian himself, but even beyond that, I understand his need to appeal to both the religious and the irreligious audiences, especially in a mostly Christian country, and that to me seems why he constantly tries to connect faith and science, possit religion as a logical and wise and such. (Where some Christians got the idea his work was anti-christian, I got no idea.)
But while annoying in these previous titles, it really predominated here; taking up entire paragraphes and the whole ending. And worst of all, he taps a whole new dimension (almost literally). Quantum Woo.In this Langdon-universe, apparently, faithhealers and praying-circles are proven to work. Souls are shown to exist. Thoughts have mass. And guess what? All of modern discoveries surrounding quantum mechanics etc. were already foretold in ancient scriptures. And the wisest character in the book claims that that is the only reason they could've survived so long. It's painful to read as a skeptic...

But again, the drama and action and characterisation was done quite well.

7/10

Baruch

Some fiction for me is like a "bad trip".  It puts me into an alternative universe that feels ... disturbing.  Catholic literature is like that for me ... I simply find the idea of "realism" in Catholicism (see Constantine, the movie) to be too alien.  Congregational Protestantism isn't as jarring since it is closer to Judaism.  I think that is the kind of thing you experienced ... Dan Brown is very Catholic in his conceptions, as well as Freemasonic.  I can relate to the Freemasonic ideas better, though they are equally silly.  The first National Treasure movie was OK because of that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

If the multiverse exists, then it seems to me that every fictional scenario that is logically consistent and physically realizable must exist somewhere in it. All possibilities are reified, so not only are we necessary being, but so are those fictional characters we love and hate so much.

If they can exist, they will exist.
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 02, 2016, 06:15:46 PM
If the multiverse exists, then it seems to me that every fictional scenario that is logically consistent and physically realizable must exist somewhere in it. All possibilities are reified, so not only are we necessary being, but so are those fictional characters we love and hate so much.

If they can exist, they will exist.

I've always just broken down the realm of possibility being as madam web put it, reality is a river that splits off into many parallel tributaries, and we are just stones washed down that river. Fate is nothing more then how the current takes us.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Still in progress so can't rate but good so far.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on March 10, 2016, 09:55:01 PM

Still in progress so can't rate but good so far.
I fucking love that one!

I read The Music of Erich Zann on a really dark, rainy day.  Right during the big freakout in that story, there was a damn close lightning strike.  I flipped my shit.

When you finish that book, I strongly recommend the Dream Cycle one.

Hydra009

History of the Medieval World.  A pretty basic overview of the political situation of the world from 4th century AD to 11th century AD.

Lots and lots of conflicts, internal and external.  Conflict between Catholic Rome and Orthodox Constantinople.  Conflict between Vikings and all comers.  Conflict between Europeans and Arabs.  Conflict between Popes and Kings.  Basically, what I've learned is to never ever be a prince's brother.  Or a child king.  Or a peasant.  Or a girl.  Or sickly.  Or not particularly religious.  Basically, that time period sucked.  There's some good stuff (like a gradual extension of the Peace and Truce of God and a concerted push to restrict violence), but god damn, there was a lot of nastiness in those times.  Just reading about the Plague of Justinian was seriously off-putting.

The one thing I liked was the gradual molding of countries into more recognizable forms - Britain, France, Russia, etc.  More familiar names and religions.  You really see the foundations of the modern world start to take hold during these times.  It was a good read, though it's more of a general overview than an extremely detailed account.  A lot of really famous figures only get a couple pages apiece.