So What Do Conservatives Actually Want to Conserve?

Started by Bobby_Ouroborus, February 20, 2013, 05:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Alaric I"We will continue this discussion once you have fully stroked your ego and are willing to listen and not try to hold on to your preconceived notions.

I see no substantive reply, just a personal attack; I'm left to assume you have no thoughtful reply.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Fluffhead

[size=150]
?But I Sure Have Some Powerful Pills?
[/size][/color]

Alaric I

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Alaric I"We will continue this discussion once you have fully stroked your ego and are willing to listen and not try to hold on to your preconceived notions.

I see no substantive reply, just a personal attack; I'm left to assume you have no thoughtful reply.

Assume all you'd like. It is what you do best.

Thumpalumpacus

I'll let you show my assumption incorrect.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I'll let you show my assumption incorrect.

Is there really any point?  I don't see you listening to my points, merely quickly responding to agree.

Thumpalumpacus

I've made my points.  You don't agree.  Very well.  When you resort to personal attacks, and pass up any further discussion, you lose at least one audience member.  Enjoy your afternoon.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I've made my points.  You don't agree.  Very well.  When you resort to personal attacks, and pass up any further discussion, you lose at least one audience member.  Enjoy your afternoon.

This is quite funny because I said nothing worse than what you had said. Thanks for the laugh.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Enjoy your afternoon.

bennyboy

Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"They call themselves Conservatives meaning they want to maintain the status quo. Right?

So what is the status quo that needs conserving other than White Male Christian privilege and traditions?

So if that is what Conservative are aiming to conserve, doesn't that make them inherently racist. chauvinistic and intolerant? If you want to preserve the privilege of a specific race doesn't that betray the fact that you think your race is superior for some reason and deserves that privilege over others?
Why shouldn't a group of people in power want to conserve that power?  They have things set up in a way that's comfortable for them, and they want things to stay that way.

The current problem is that conservatives are too racist.  They should see Latinos, for example, as a new infusion of religious-minded folk who might gravitate toward conservative values if they are allowed proper incentives to work.  I think they are adapting to that new view right now, actually, out of pure necessity-- because white American conservation and democracy are no longer mutually inclusive.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.

Alaric I

Quote from: "bennyboy"Why shouldn't a group of people in power want to conserve that power?  They have things set up in a way that's comfortable for them, and they want things to stay that way.

The current problem is that conservatives are too racist.  They should see Latinos, for example, as a new infusion of religious-minded folk who might gravitate toward conservative values if they are allowed proper incentives to work.  I think they are adapting to that new view right now, actually, out of pure necessity-- because white American conservation and democracy are no longer mutually inclusive.

What makes them racist?  I haven't heard any of them trying to outlaw immigration.  They have tried to crack down on illegal immigration, which I see no issue with.

SvZurich

While collecting money from companies that hire illegal immigrants.  Money in exchange for not being raided and investigated.  :(  We do not have an illegal immigrant problem.  We have an illegal immigrant employer problem, and employers who break the law should be imprisoned.  The immigrants will find their own way back home once jobs dry up.  Hell, they currently already are in this economy.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

commonsense822

Quote from: "bennyboy"
Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"They call themselves Conservatives meaning they want to maintain the status quo. Right?

So what is the status quo that needs conserving other than White Male Christian privilege and traditions?

So if that is what Conservative are aiming to conserve, doesn't that make them inherently racist. chauvinistic and intolerant? If you want to preserve the privilege of a specific race doesn't that betray the fact that you think your race is superior for some reason and deserves that privilege over others?
Why shouldn't a group of people in power want to conserve that power?  They have things set up in a way that's comfortable for them, and they want things to stay that way.

I don't think that all conservatives are actually racist.  There is however, a large portion of the conservative base that you could definitely attribute that label to, sure, but overall I don't think they make up a majority of conservatives.  The issue is that even though they aren't the majority they still hold a sizable portion of the base.

The Republican Party used to be the party for the minority vote and the Democrats were staunchly rooted in the south and upheld the southern white vote.  Then literally within a decade and a half, the Democrats saw an opportunity to gain more of the minority vote and embraced the civil rights movement, which severely pissed off their southern white base and created the Dixiecrats (Southern white Democrats that opposed civil rights).  Almost simultaneously the Republican Party saw this as an opportunity to move in on these southern white voters because they represented a large, stable, and politically active voting block that now felt disenfranchised by their party.  Now the Democrats didn't support civil rights because they suddenly had a change of heart, and the Republicans didn't suddenly decide that they hated black people.  They changed their positions because they are both opportunistic fucks (a.k.a politicians) and saw a way to get more votes for their team.

Since then the Republican party has had to appeal mainly to the largest voting block in their base, which is the southern white vote.  That voting block also happens to be the loudest voting block too because it is indeed made up mostly of ignorant pricks.  But the Republican party is made up of a few other voting blocks too, the second largest I think would be the suburban families that are drawn in by the message of greater economic freedom.

The fact of the matter is that the Southern Strategy worked pretty well in the short term for the Republican Party and won them a string of elections.  And the Democrat's shift towards a more racially diverse voting demographic has proven to be more stable for the long term advantage.  But altogether neither side did it for moral reasons, they did it for political reasons.

Here is my prediciton.  The Tea Party has split from the Republican Party similarly as the Dixiecrats from the Democratic Party.  It will cause the Republican Party to lose a few more elections and the Republican Party will have to eventually drop the Tea Party, and become more socially liberally while continuing with libertarian ideals.  I'd say give it a couple of decades.

The Non Prophet

Money, and everyone elses money they steal/embezzle from.

GurrenLagann

Hell if I know. I live here in Texas, and basically if you are educated, well-spoken, knowledgeable, any kind of progressive thinker or for the equal treatment of others before the law as best we can make it, you're a liberal according to the conservatives here.

So fuck all, I don't know. I think saying wealth of the upper class, guns, and in-the-kitchen wives might sound offensive. ;)
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Colanth

The only thing modern Conservatives want to "conserve" is their right to have reality be what they want it to be.  They don't want to conserve the status quo (which is a black president), they don't want to conserve the ideals in place when the nation was founded (during which time, only about 25% of the populace was "churched"), they don't want to "conserve" anything real.

They want a strictly Christian nation - which this one never was.  (It was staunchly anti-Catholic until around the time of the Depression, then less and less Christian since then.)  They want a strictly white nation (with non-whites and non-males being, at best, second class citizens), which they'll never see again.  Most of them want an isolationist nation - which we haven't been for just under 100 years, and probably won't be again in the near future.

That they can't have what they want, and right now, causes them to go off the deep end.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.