News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Re: Staff Bans / Logs - Suggestions

Started by Nam, July 13, 2014, 01:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

I don't know what version you're using but on this SMF website http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php, they are using 2.0.8, and there's a members icon on the top bar that says "Banlist", and lists everything you're doing here. I mean, if you can just do that, it may be simpler for the staff in the log run.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

wolf39us

I'll look into it but I do like that we can write a reason here... Plus unless you know someone was banned, would you think to check the ban list?

Nam

Quote from: wolf39us on July 13, 2014, 02:40:17 PM
I'll look into it but I do like that we can write a reason here... Plus unless you know someone was banned, would you think to check the ban list?

Just so much a moderator has to do, just thought less of a load would help.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

SGOS

I kind of like the idea of a ban log.  It's too bad it's only open to mods and administrators.  I can survive without knowing the exact reason someone was banned, but when it happens I'm always curious to know why.  Maybe it's too much like gossip, or maybe someone thinks it might be personally damaging to a poster's character.  But every time I hear, "He's been banned," I want to know why.  Usually, I know why, of course, but sometimes I don't, and I just want to understand.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: SGOS on July 14, 2014, 06:53:23 AM
I kind of like the idea of a ban log.  It's too bad it's only open to mods and administrators.  I can survive without knowing the exact reason someone was banned, but when it happens I'm always curious to know why.  Maybe it's too much like gossip, or maybe someone thinks it might be personally damaging to a poster's character.  But every time I hear, "He's been banned," I want to know why.  Usually, I know why, of course, but sometimes I don't, and I just want to understand.
Erm... we posted the reasons of the bans.

SGOS

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 14, 2014, 07:00:02 AM
Erm... we posted the reasons of the bans.
In the ban log or in the thread where the offense takes place?  I've found only two threads that reference ban logs, and the only  posting was about Frosty.  Surely, there have been more with recent attacks on the forum by trolls.  I usually lose interest in troll threads and quit visiting them long before a ban takes place, so these people just seem to disappear into thin air.

OK, I suspected Frosty's offense may have had something to do with the useless flame war in the Israel thread, so I opened it up after losing faith that any useful dialog or exchange of ideas could be found there, and it looks as though Drunkenshoe may have gotten banned too.

It's OK.  I don't need to know all the gossip.  I'm just curious, and I have no intention of getting myself in the middle of Mod business.  I always appreciate Mod efforts, and suspect it can be a potentially thankless job.

DunkleSeele

We post them in the ban log. Only Mods and admins can post there, but it's visible to all. So far we posted about robert and Frosty, we didn't post about a couple of other trolls because we believe those bans are self-explanatory.

Drunkenshoe hasn't been banned.

SGOS

AllPurposeAtheist

A simple thread will accomplish the same thing.. Just list them as they happen and just make it open to mods only.  No real need for more code to potentially slow down the site or worse. Sounds superficial as a wall of shame, but code addons seems unnecessary.

Yeah, the drudgery of being a mod.. It must be like police who have to go into situations where you don't know if the perp is on the other side of the door with a cannon ready to blow you into itsy bitsy teeny weeny pieces! :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 14, 2014, 09:40:14 AM
A simple thread will accomplish the same thing.. Just list them as they happen and just make it open to mods only.  No real need for more code to potentially slow down the site or worse. Sounds superficial as a wall of shame, but code addons seems unnecessary.
That's what we're doing... ;)

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 14, 2014, 09:41:42 AM
That's what we're doing... ;)
Hopefully without getting blown into itsy bitsy teeny weeny pieces.. :think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.