News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Staff Bans / Logs

Started by wolf39us, July 13, 2014, 10:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

He can go post at parler.com, where he'll be welcome with open legs - since those people like to be fucked over.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hijiri Byakuren

When Baruch was newer I found him funny and occasionally insightful. I'm not sure if it was due to my own changing views or if he just went downhill (or some combination thereof), but he was just downright insufferable for the past year or two.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Yes, he wasn't bad a first.  Somewhere along the line, he was rebuffed a couple of times (like that's never happened to anyone here before), but somewhere around then, I remember him matter of fact-ly pointing out that he was smarter than anyone else on the forum.  I didn't respond, and I don't remember anyone else respond either.  I don't remember anyone taking an entrance exam when they joined, but that was an unusually odd and pointless thing for him to say, and then he got stranger, pointlessly annoying, and very very destructive.  He did have a large knowledge base of rote memory. Almost like an encyclopedia.

drunkenshoe

My guess is depression caused by retirement. I confronted him about this twice, could be more...more than a year ago, not sure exactly when. The feeling of uselessness and loss of value of some sort affects people badly, usually they get out of it in short time...which by the way, I think is right down imbecilic as a whole. It looks more like a man thing to me, so probably it is also generational more than just old age. Recently, I even thought he might be taking some sort of an amfetamine supplies with anti-depressants, considering his manic behaviour. Just guesses and opinions.

Thank fuck, I don't see any of you younger lot falling into that in the future.  :rockout:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Well it’s a done deal. Not much use going on about it. I’ll simply say it was a wonderful magnificent brain that simply dissolved before my eyes. Sorry to see it go but relieved to see it go.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on January 08, 2021, 09:51:30 PM
Well it’s a done deal. Not much use going on about it. I’ll simply say it was a wonderful magnificent brain that simply dissolved before my eyes. Sorry to see it go but relieved to see it go.
That's how I see it--experienced it.  I had a history with him on various boards (a history of about 15 yrs. or so) and he was a fount of knowledge and sharp viewpoints about a number of topics, especially about the history of christian and jewish history.  I asked him to join this forum and he seemed to enjoy it.  And like aitm, he seemed to simply melt into some sort of depression.  I am very glad to see him gone.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 08, 2021, 08:48:13 PM
My guess is depression caused by retirement. I confronted him about this twice, could be more...more than a year ago, not sure exactly when. The feeling of uselessness and loss of value of some sort affects people badly, usually they get out of it in short time...which by the way, I think is right down imbecilic as a whole. It looks more like a man thing to me, so probably it is also generational more than just old age. Recently, I even thought he might be taking some sort of an amfetamine supplies with anti-depressants, considering his manic behaviour. Just guesses and opinions.

Is he Norman Boutin?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 09, 2021, 12:50:34 AM
Is he Norman Boutin?

LOL, I had to look that up. No, nothing like that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Now what am I going to do with a Masters in Baruchistani?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 09, 2021, 04:14:31 AM
LOL, I had to look that up. No, nothing like that.
Norman had been on here peddling his book. You can probably imagine how that went.

I checked and, unfortunately, the posts were lost in some database purge or whatever. Pity.

Blackleaf

I remember Baruch being an...interesting person when I joined. I rarely understood a word of what he said, but he was knowledgeable on matters of religion. I always considered him as sort of an odd ball, but I liked him. It was sad seeing him change. I don't know exactly what happened, but he just became consumed by whataboutism in politics, and he felt the need to respond to every post (probably in part because of his retirement). And if he didn't have something to reply to, he'd just post on his own, with several pages in a row of a thread just being his ramblings. Just look at the thread "The Frailty of Democracy." He basically made that thread his home. I stopped opening the thread, because I knew nobody else was posting in it. He turned into a real pain in the ass.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 09, 2021, 01:31:29 PM
if he didn't have something to reply to, he'd just post on his own, with several pages in a row of a thread just being his ramblings. Just look at the thread "The Frailty of Democracy." He basically made that thread his home. I stopped opening the thread, because I knew nobody else was posting in it. He turned into a real pain in the ass.
That was my thread and I stopped opening it too.

Gawdzilla Sama

Let the dead past bury it's dead. I, for one, will visit here more than once a day now. Or I'll send Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. They were very effect on their last mission.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead?

A truly wonderful movie!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 09, 2021, 05:15:47 PM
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead?

A truly wonderful movie!
Never seen it.
PZ Myers