3 ways to never be beaten in a religious argument…

Started by sfobe, July 08, 2014, 10:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfobe

Ever been in one of those arguments with people that always go the same way and never get anywhere? Ever wondered how you can keep them on track? Over the years I’ve started to work a bit of a system of argument (not a magic route to persuasion) that tends to ensure these people stop trying to preach to me.

Step 1:
Establish framework for the argument â€" almost everyone will agree that the righteousness of their religion/text rests on the existence of their god(s). If this is the case try to focus debate on existence of god before all else… cue digression and ad hominem attacks.

Step 2:
Flip roles â€" the burden of proof is on the believer, keep it that way. Since these arguments tend to digress take the lead by assuming the role of ‘the believer’. Make it a point of presenting the best case you can for the existence of god or a religion they do not believe in.
As fundie Christians tend to vehemently oppose other Abrahamic religions make the case for one and point out parallels as your counterpart raises them. For example if they say ‘Early muslims killed and raped in the name of their religion therefore it’s wrong’ similarly the crusaders killed and raped in the name of their religion… does this make their religion wrong?

Step 3:
Question links - If they use religious text for evidence question the link between text and their particular god. In the instance of miracles as evidence the following scenario has served me well.
‘A Muslim and a Christian have a mutual friend who is diagnosed terminally ill. The muslim prays to Allah and the Christian to Jesus for his cure. He is cured. Who takes the credit? Allah or Jesus?’

This approach was developed for IRL use not the internets. It is meant to focus on the points you agree rather than disagree and uses religious parallels so that by arguing against you they argue against themselves. It is for use against people who push their religion on you not people who respectfully keep to themselves.

Unfortunately/fortunately, I no longer have the pushy kind of people in my life so don’t have much chance to use this approach anymore. I would love to see if it works or helps anyone else hold their own against these people in a respectful and composed way.

TL:DR
Be awesome. Requires some research and prior knowledge.

Solitary

Welcome aboard sfobe! There can never be a logical argument until both sides agree on what the facts are. An argument about religion will always result in a quarrel instead of a debate. If the facts are not agreed upon in the first place, there is no logical answer, because it requires the terms to be agreed upon. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

sfobe

Thanks Solitary (i've been aboard since 2012 ;) )

That was often my experience till i started to use this game theory based approach. Since a quarrel generally results when people argue their differing points of view i've tried to change the dynamic by making the case for what I disagree.

This way if they disprove me they by religious parallel disprove themselves. Win-win.

Usually ends in stalemate where they give up and walk away. Some perhaps the wiser for the interaction.

Solitary

Logic, and being rational, doesn't work on people that believe in real magic. And I doubt they become any wiser. I only convinced one young minister that came to my house he was wrong when younger. He was with a young Latino boy, he went out side and took his white collar off and threw it in his car. The little boy asked him what he was doing. He said: "He is right, it's all a big lie." My Catholic wife who just came home from shopping came in and asked what just happen. I told her I converted a religious nut. She didn't talk to me for a week. Win! Win! He! He!
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Another approach.. Get em drunk.. There's no better feeling than sending a JV home staggering and shitfaced drunk.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

ApostateLois

Some people will always adhere to magical thinking no matter what you do or say. In the scenario where a Christian and a Muslim both pray for their sick friend, the Christian will claim it was Jesus who healed him and the Muslim will claim it was Allah, and both will say that the other's religion is not really real.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

peasant abuse

I don't think u can be beaten in a religious argument.  how does a person win an argument if they have no evidence?

Mister Agenda

Good advice, if you can get them to cooperate. Most people will stick to their religion because it is more important to them than anything we have to offer.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Hydra009

Quote from: Mister Agenda on July 10, 2014, 09:38:39 AMGood advice, if you can get them to cooperate. Most people will stick to their religion because it is more important to them than anything we have to offer.
This is true, sadly.  It's lamentable that people value freethought so poorly compared to tradition and emotional comfort.  Perhaps a shift in values is needed before even broaching the God topic.

MagetheEntertainer

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 10, 2014, 03:13:29 PM
This is true, sadly.  It's lamentable that people value freethought so poorly compared to tradition and emotional comfort.  Perhaps a shift in values is needed before even broaching the God topic.

Yes, Making religious people agree to certain rules before a debate is very important, but even then there is a tendency for them to not follow the rules.  Take this video for example where Thunderf00t tried to have a discussion with some crazy bitches from the westboro baptist church http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSbfs32yCU

Nam

Quote from: IKnowTheTruth8874 on July 15, 2014, 01:17:49 AM
No atheist has ever beaten a true Christian in an argument.

Evidence that a "True Christian" even exists?

QuoteThat is not possibly by definition.

The definition you made up?

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Nam

Quote from: IKnowTheTruth8874 on July 15, 2014, 01:41:00 AM
Read the Holy Bible?

The Bible can't be evidence for itself.

QuoteGo fuck yourself.

You first.

-Nam

stromboli

A true Christian said go fuck yourself? Wow, another troll.

Nam

Quote from: stromboli on July 15, 2014, 01:43:23 AM
A true Christian said go fuck yourself? Wow, another troll.

Elsewhere this True Christianâ,,¢ said my mother is a whore, and was gangbanged. This is the product of the Bible -- evidence.

-Nam

Mary mandilin

I always try to point out that Christ said that those who believe in Him will do the work that he does and greater works than these and they will be able to drink poison and it will not harm them etc.
Since none of us ever see that in any of the believers we know, it goes to show the Holy Word has returned void.   That one usually bothers Christians and help them understand our beliefs and the absurdity of theirs.