Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC375rujZhs

Gotta admire their fearlessness.  But come on, after you tear through a ton of mooks like hot butter, they really ought to head for the hills.

If not flee or surrender outright, they should at least regroup around a more badass mook or fortification.  In some games, they spread out around difficult terrain and take pot shots at you, goading you into brutal ambushes, which is far more dangerous than coming to you and engaging directly.

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 16, 2020, 01:51:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Ek1nWndTg
Okay, as a children services worker (and as someone who got an Amber Alert at TWO THIRTY IN THE MORNING today), that's good.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOh-7NaA28A

"...so then I went straight nuke china.  I nuked their tanks.  I nuked war factory.  I nuked their airfields.  I even nuked their workers.  They didn't even have shoes on their feet and I nuked 'em anyway.  You know why, cause IDGAF!  I'll burn this whole world down around me if anyone messes with me.  Yeah, I see you.  In that cloaked radar van.  Hope you like my nuke cannon.  Stick around and find out."

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 16, 2020, 01:51:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Ek1nWndTg

Yeah...It looks like a very unreasonable demand but actually it is not. The window for kidnapped children, esp. toddlers to survive is so short while the odds of finding them alive after that is so low that is the curicial window. Few hours just after it happened. Dropping whatever you do -if it is possible and let's be honest, most of the time it is- and go around to look for the kid is pretty curcial for his/her life. And that's what you want people to do when it is your kid.

Just the common understanding known around that people in a certain area would respond this way after an amber alert makes that area very high risk for any kind of child kidnapper. Be it a lone homicidal pedo or someone works for child traficking. People who commit these crimes are not stupid. After all, basicly all they do is to take advantage of a situation.

I'm curious if that young man will think the same thing about that 10 years later.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Most Amber alerts are dads stealing back their kids from their moms?  That dude shot in the back 7 times in Kenosha.  The fear of the moms is real of course, I knew one who fled the state, because she and her ex (and his family) differed on if the kids should be raised Catholic.  In another case, the mom was the usual bitch, but her daddy was rich and powerful and treated the children's father as a shit pile (which he kind of was).  This is why police fear to enter marital/family fights.

Most kidnapped girls are victimized by male relatives, the ideal age being 14 ;-(  Just ask that hair sniffer Biden ;-)  Street children of course are just shit out of luck.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJ7fMoFTnE

You can trust me because I worked with sketchy people for years and didn't really say anything at the time, but now that they've stopped paying me, I can talk about them all I want for money.  I like money.

GSOgymrat

With a few exceptions, you can tell when an artist is short on cash when they release a Christmas album.

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 20, 2020, 04:09:06 AM
Yeah...It looks like a very unreasonable demand but actually it is not. The window for kidnapped children, esp. toddlers to survive is so short while the odds of finding them alive after that is so low that is the curicial window. Few hours just after it happened. Dropping whatever you do -if it is possible and let's be honest, most of the time it is- and go around to look for the kid is pretty curcial for his/her life. And that's what you want people to do when it is your kid.

Just the common understanding known around that people in a certain area would respond this way after an amber alert makes that area very high risk for any kind of child kidnapper. Be it a lone homicidal pedo or someone works for child traficking. People who commit these crimes are not stupid. After all, basicly all they do is to take advantage of a situation.

I'm curious if that young man will think the same thing about that 10 years later.

It's not realistic to expect everyone to stop what they're doing to run into the street and check all the license plates. And the way Amber Alerts work are so annoying, I just had to turn them off. No matter if you have your phone's volume down or on silent, it will blare out at full volume anyway. Trying to sleep?  Too bad! Wake up, run outside with a flashlight, and check all your neighbor's license plates. At a concert? Well, I hope you weren't recording, because every phone in the room is going off now. Playing a game on your phone with your headphones in? You don't need those eardrums, do you? Nobody bothers with them, because the chances of finding the car with the limited information given is beyond tiny. Now, if the alerts weren't so goddamn annoying, I'd keep them on, but they've blasted my eardrums one too many times.
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 20, 2020, 01:50:28 PM
It's not realistic to expect everyone to stop what they're doing to run into the street and check all the license plates. And the way Amber Alerts work are so annoying, I just had to turn them off. No matter if you have your phone's volume down or on silent, it will blare out at full volume anyway. Trying to sleep?  Too bad! Wake up, run outside with a flashlight, and check all your neighbor's license plates. At a concert? Well, I hope you weren't recording, because every phone in the room is going off now. Playing a game on your phone with your headphones in? You don't need those eardrums, do you? Nobody bothers with them, because the chances of finding the car with the limited information given is beyond tiny. Now, if the alerts weren't so goddamn annoying, I'd keep them on, but they've blasted my eardrums one too many times.

I don't know if you are aware, but the more people want to go around with nothing touching them, annoying them, or making them uncomfortable...etc the worse things get. This is a very good example of that. It's the same thing everywhere.

Yes, of course there are situations you can't go. But most of the time people have time to look around in their neighbourhoods. It is not everyone or every time. People just don't, because they don't care. If you don't care about it, you don't care about it. It's your choice. But 'alerts are so annoying' doesn't sound like an excuse. How can that alert be designed in a not annoying way? It's purpose to get you alarmed and agitated about something bad. It's supposed to annoy you. It's supposed to be something you can't ignore.   

Expecting people dropping a game because of an Amber Alert is not a big deal at all. Dropping something serious you can postpone should not be a big deal. Those kids in that video have no idea what they are mocking with because they are fucking kids themselves.

Amber Alerts one of the few things I admire about the US. Because it is the right idea. Civilisation is that simple and it is that fragile. It is the things like that that make the big difference between 'developed' and 'underdeveloped' countries. OR should I say 'used to', considering the generation z will take over at some point. It's not high technology or how many nukes, chocies of food or drinks or clothes or entertainment mediums you have... 

You know what, it feels like most of the America is bent on killing every good idea it had once before because they can't be bothered now. Or maybe I'm watching too much John Oliver.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

If the alerts were sent as text messages instead, or just didn't ignore your sound settings completely, they would be less annoying, and people would probably pay attention to them rather than hit OK to close it and immediately forget about it. But at present, I only have two options. Either accept the risk of having my eardrums blown out while I have my earbuds in, or have alerts turned off.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 20, 2020, 07:06:00 PM
If the alerts were sent as text messages instead, or just didn't ignore your sound settings completely, they would be less annoying, and people would probably pay attention to them rather than hit OK to close it and immediately forget about it. But at present, I only have two options. Either accept the risk of having my eardrums blown out while I have my earbuds in, or have alerts turned off.

Much like the 5 citrus colored levels of terrorism ;-)  John Oliver and Don Lemon are foreign invaders.

There is more agoraphobia and other phobias because of chemical pollution, substance abuse, broken families and collapsing culture.  Competent mental health assistance (other than throwing the drug of the week at it) is almost unobtainable.  Once we become fully feral, I don't think the Amber Alerts will matter much, other than alerting the rest of the wolf pack.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 20, 2020, 01:09:17 PM
With a few exceptions, you can tell when an artist is short on cash when they release a Christmas album.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis%27_Christmas_Album
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 20, 2020, 01:50:28 PM
I don't mind them.  They're infrequent enough that they aren't really disruptive, and I certainly understand the need for them (given the office I work in).

But that's the same alert tone I mentally associate with nuclear war preparation.  Alas for being a child of the 60s...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 20, 2020, 07:06:00 PM

I get it. I wasn't trying to annoy anyone. But probably that's how it started and then evolved this way.

Anyway, maybe people should make a complaint about this if people really believe the alert style is pushing the help and support away. It would also make people think about it, take attention.