News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post Funny Videos

Started by wolf39us, February 20, 2013, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2019, 08:02:58 PM
The Comstock card dates from '88.  It was produced by a company called ProSet, which specialized in minor league cards.  He was a pitcher for the San Diego minor league team when that picture was taken.  And if one has one and you paid more than a buck for it, you were swindled.

I was just reading and article about faked cards...  I do shudder to think about the money I wasted putting the cards on my bicycle though...  I wonder if I had a Mickey Mantle rookie card.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 09:19:49 PM
I was just reading and article about faked cards...  I do shudder to think about the money I wasted putting the cards on my bicycle though...  I wonder if I had a Mickey Mantle rookie card.
Just think, Cavebear, you could have ground up over a half million.  I think the most expensive card sold for over 4/5 million.  To demonstrate how card collecting has changed; that Mantle rookie right out of a pack would command from 20 grand to over 100 grand.  That is called its 'raw' state.  To make the huge bucks, one needs to have it graded.  That means you send it off to a grading company who then examines it with a microscope and grades it.  Top grade is a 10.  If one had a 10 graded Mantle rookie, it would get hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Being called 'mint' is no big deal any more. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2019, 10:29:56 PM
Just think, Cavebear, you could have ground up over a half million.  I think the most expensive card sold for over 4/5 million.  To demonstrate how card collecting has changed; that Mantle rookie right out of a pack would command from 20 grand to over 100 grand.  That is called its 'raw' state.  To make the huge bucks, one needs to have it graded.  That means you send it off to a grading company who then examines it with a microscope and grades it.  Top grade is a 10.  If one had a 10 graded Mantle rookie, it would get hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Being called 'mint' is no big deal any more.

And forget the comic books.  I had Fantastic Four #1 in hand and read it to death.  Who knew?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 25, 2019, 12:03:15 AM
And forget the comic books.  I had Fantastic Four #1 in hand and read it to death.  Who knew?
My dad was an avid reader of comics.  But he read ones like Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Mickey Mouse, Plastic Man, Cpt. America, and for one of my early birthdays I got a year of Red Ryder (and Little Beaver).  Never collected them tho.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 25, 2019, 12:03:15 AM
I fear to think how much of my potential retirement could have been covered by all the comics my mom threw away...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on August 25, 2019, 11:40:38 PM
I fear to think how much of my potential retirement could have been covered by all the comics my mom threw away...

Yeah, I had a 3 or 4 foot stack that's gone the way of all flesh, too. I don't even remember what all I had, but I doubt my mom would've known how valuable they might have been!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 26, 2019, 01:15:24 PM
Yeah, I had a 3 or 4 foot stack that's gone the way of all flesh, too. I don't even remember what all I had, but I doubt my mom would've known how valuable they might have been!
It's because of our moms that those comics are now valuable. :)

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 26, 2019, 01:15:24 PM
I know I started buying them for myself when there were still a couple 12¢ and 15¢ titles.  I was an early reader of classic literature.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I guess I learned to read with comic books, since that's the first thing I remember reading. Hell, I thought a man really could fly! I told God once that if he's let me be able to fly I'd believe in him. Well, I never could fly, so now I don't believe in God.

:-P
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 26, 2019, 06:18:39 PM
I guess I learned to read with comic books, since that's the first thing I remember reading. Hell, I thought a man really could fly! I told God once that if he's let me be able to fly I'd believe in him. Well, I never could fly, so now I don't believe in God.
I don't really remember any of those early comics very well... but I do remember the stack of late-50s/early-60s MAD Magazines in the guest room at Grandma and Grandpa's that I was going through certainly by '66 or '67, when I was three or four.

Speaking of classic literature.  :D

Unbeliever

If Mad Magazine hadn't existed, someone would've had to invent it...
God Not Found